Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
TMF-2 > The Mansion Family - Vol. 2 (Read 6994 times)
aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
TMF-2 > The Mansion Family - Vol. 2
14.03.2007 at 18:57:03

A couple of days ago I have started work on the 2nd installment of
The Mansion Family

I had the idea to let it begin - just as Vol. 1 (Mind Mines) - in Jack's modest house. He goes up to street level, but instead of turning to the right, he will walk to the left, thru another part of the city until he comes to......... (wait & see).

Now a question:

As it is now, I created a version that simply expanded Vol. 1, expanded the city etc. (meaning: When finished, Vol. 2 will be a mansion of its own, but it will also include all of Mind Mines.....the player starts in the same little house of Jack, and in the city he decides whether he'd like to go to the Mind Mines or to the new section).

Or would y'all prefer a clean version 2, with all older (Mind Mines) rooms erased ??   (Answers please)

(To clarify: When I'd be releasing the "combined" version...this would NOT mean we would take off MindMines as a mansion of its own, and replace it with the combined version.... My plan is to have a Vol. 2 that just happens to also include all of Vol. 1; later maybe a Vol. 3 that has all of Vol. 1, 2 and 3....etc.  Of course: there is a certain limit to that..... there are only 2 more possible routes that lead away from Jack's house (after Vol. 2)....and they're not very logical either (UP - thru the sky or what ?? ...and DOWN - welll....that might work).
« Last Edit: 09.12.2007 at 21:37:30 by Freddy »  

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Re: The Mansion Family - Vol. 2
Reply #1 - 15.03.2007 at 03:57:25

I prefer mansions (not like e.g. Falcon Manor) where Jack is able to visit EVERY part of the mansion. So, if it is NOT possible to go left AND right, I would suggest to make two clearly seperated mansions.

Unless ... there is a situation like in brell's first mansion with a clear message at the fork. In
Three Way Mansion
there was the choise between easy, normal OR hard. But it doesn't need to have to do with the difficulty. A BBB at the fork that explains that AFTER going left OR right, that there is no way back to the fork to take the other direction feels okay as well. With other words: players will know that there are two mansions in one.

IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #2 - 15.03.2007 at 04:02:12

aquaMat wrote on 14.03.2007 at 18:57:03:
....and they're not very logical either (UP - thru the sky or what ??

Big, big skyscraper, duh.
Alternative: Somebody make aquaMat a nice cloud tile!

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #3 - 15.03.2007 at 05:49:09

Freddy
, I guess you misunderstood me.

It IS perfectly possible to go either left or right....both directions are fully playable. Walking right leads to Mind Mines, walking left leads to the new section.  (And of course there'll be a message at the "fork").

There's no problem at all. I just wanted to know if people prefer "Mansion Family 2" to come WITHOUT the old section, thus WITHOUT the option to either play the 1st or 2nd part !!

Part 3 could then lead down, as I said........well.... and the last, 4th part, as Pscyhotronic pointed out....could happen in a skyscraper or in the clouds.

Only then will it become problematic....but I doubt that I will make more than 4 installments anyway, maybe only 3.

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #4 - 15.03.2007 at 06:16:45

Euh ... I understood you perfectly. The only thing I really want to avoid is that AT THE FORK there is no message. So a good BBB or two split mansions or both okay for me. But not something like in Falcon Manor, where a player has the feeling that he/she played it wrongly, since being unable to visit all rooms.

IP Logged

Amplifyed
Adventurer

Formally known as "Sam
S."

Down the hall on the 3rd right
Reply #5 - 15.03.2007 at 09:05:56

It would be cool to have a 2 in one mansion I think Grin

-Vintage Octopus-

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #6 - 15.03.2007 at 18:22:54

You could build a second file starting in Jack's house, and when you get up you can go right or left:
  • to the left there is, as you suggested, the proper new mansion;
  • to the right there is one room in common with TMFV1-TMM but you add something which blocks the way - a car, something.

As for further TMF mansions: don't forget Jack can go out through a perpendicular street too Wink

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Reply #7 - 15.03.2007 at 19:20:05

Would the saved games from Mind Mines still work in your combined version? Then it would be like Catacombs, and that would be cool. Players could either continue or start over.

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #8 - 15.03.2007 at 21:28:56

@Semi-Native:

That's a good question. I haven't thought about that yet.  Sounds interesting though.
(Although it doesn't really make sense to start TMF-2 from -say- save pedestal 2 of MindMines, as you would have to return thru all of MindMines back to Jaclk's House to be able to play the TMF-2 section, which not only doesn't make much sense.... but -unfortunately- complete backtracking in MindMines is NOT possible, anyway !!)

@Toybox:

I don't quite understand your 2nd suggestion. Why should I block the way ?

@Freddy:

As I said, of course a good, explanatory BBB is put up (in the second room, the "street level" of Jack's house).
And I absolutely share your view about Falcon Manor.

And as a reminder:
My plan was - after the release of TMF 2 - to NOT erase TMF1-MM as a mansion of its own. But, once players have both versions, they can also use TMF 2 to play MindMines, if they wish.

BTW: Maybe I have the subtitle for TMF2 now. I might call it "Northern Lights".

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #9 - 15.03.2007 at 21:50:25

My suggestion (which goes against your plan) meant that your second file (TMF-2) does not contain the Mind Mines at all (all rooms are deleted except the first one, that is). This was meant to give the illusion that Jack could continue his way to the Mines, but you block the way because he's supposed to go and play NL.

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print