Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
In Praise of the Immacculate Construction (Read 6554 times)
ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
In Praise of the Immacculate Construction
15.03.2007 at 04:01:22

Let me begin by apologizing to any Catholics in the room for the title of this post (and to everyone else for the bad pun). Sometimes I just can't help myself. Wink

Ahem. This is a post in the spirit of "The Sins of the Mansion Builders", but with the opposite theme: this time, I want to point out things that I really like and appreciate when I see them in a mansion and invite others to do the same.

Good Hints
I just love it when mansion builders find clever ways to hint at the presence of things. Some examples:
  • when you enter the room, you hear a money bag drop, although there are none visible onscreen.
  • One used frequently in Catacombs is that you are able to see the secret but not the means to reach it.
  • Snakes can be completely hidden because they make noise. Wingy did this a lot in the second part of Volcanis, and it really cheesed me off at first ( Angry Wingy) because I wasn't paying attention. I learned to listen soon enough, though, and appreciated the cleverness. MM's great stereo sound helps with this sort of thing too.
  • One aural hint that I've not seen used is the torch sound. Place an invisible torch to mark the entrance to a secret room. Alert players (myself not included Tongue) will stop and wonder what on earth is making that noise.
  • Sometimes a monster can be a hint. One of the built-in mansions uses this to great effect (can't remember which - nightmare mansion maybe?). There is in a certain place a spider that the player does not have to pass beneath at all. I looked at that and wondered what purpose it served. So I walked under and, sure enough, there was a secret on the other side. Clever!

Remember when composing hints that you have three senses to work with - sight, sound, and "touch" (movement). A subtle hint rewards those who notice them and garners accolades from your players.

Detail and Coherence
What would Midnight Mansion be if stripped of all background work and all decorative sprites? The gameplay wouldn't change a bit, but I for one wouldn't enjoy it as much. Atmosphere and ambiance are so visceral and unquantifiable that I won't attempt to describe them in much detail, but I know that I enjoy mansions that possess them.

Another really nice touch I've seen used is when the mansion is actually built like some kind of structure. Good examples of this are Cathedral Towers, Wingy's Midnight Pyramid, and Matt and Joe's Sphinx (in Mummy's Revenge) and Space Station (in Dominator). This is more than just putting a roof on top; the entire mansion is shaped like a real structure, and has numerous features that reinforce the theme and make the experience more immersive and enjoyable.

The almost polar opposite of the above is the archetypical Freddy mansion. Freddy seems to me to focus almost exclusively on nifty puzzles an cool tricks when building, to the detriment of things like background/foreground detail and atmosphere. There is something to be said for this style. MMaM is an astounding achievement and likely would have been impossible if he had put more effort into decorations.

I prefer shorter, more detailed mansions myself, but I think the MM world would be impoverished without designers like Freddy to add diversity into the mix.

Clever return routes
I love it when mansion builders recognize that passing a difficult challenge more than a couple of times is more tedious than enjoyable. Building quick return routes that are only accessible after completing the challenge is a very nice and appreciated feature.

And uh...I'll think of some more stuff later, but right now I'm sick of typing. I hope others will add to this as well!

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Re: In Praise of the Immacculate Construction
Reply #1 - 18.06.2007 at 09:16:46

It's been awhile since you said this, but hey, I never looked over here in the designing section, really. I get all mine stuff from "inspiration" Wink Do not forget that I love mansions that have a structure. My Castle for the contest, for example, looks like a castle with two towers, and a keep in the middle, a and wall going around. (Even painted a picture of it! Tongue) Do not forget Volcanis, the biggests bestest-linear mansion ever! Roll Eyes (If you let me say so, cuz I heard linear could be bad in the way Vern sees it.) It has the perfect structer of a volcanoe. But it's missing that haziness. The haziness that all valcanoes have with the odd sides. I had to make it so you could climb it! Cheesy Anyways...

I must admit. Making a place have a decortive structure is what I do. Making a puzzle that's hard and fun and frusterating ( Angry Freddy  Wink) is what Freddy does. I love his decoration of the animals. Just love it. I tried to do one in the background of a room in Volcanis, the grey room in the castle at the very back. (
and it's a secret
)

Funny you mentioned my name alot in this, I relate to the subject a lot, (with the struture and the things you hate about my mansions) and because I must say that I am
Catholic
Shocked I wonder who els here is...

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #2 - 26.06.2007 at 03:33:13

Sometimes putting together a "structure" has earned me the old "it's not a mansion and I only like mansions" purist attitude but I agree that overall structure and design adds enormously to the experience (IMNSHO) and I LOVE putting them together. Just a personal design tendency I guess. I also try to push the envelope with backgrounds that reinforce the structure. If I was as good with backgrounds as I am now (yes, ego speaking here) Mummy's Revenge, Temple of Tombs and even Dominator would have been more of an experience. Ghosthunter was a BIG step in that direction especially with the XP environment effects and although my next release will be pure MM the one following is going to have a VERY high level of foreground/background integration .

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #3 - 26.06.2007 at 04:14:09

Smiley Looking forward to ... five (???) mansions!  Cool

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #4 - 29.06.2007 at 02:56:48

Freddy,

Yes 5 mansions in various stages of completion:
Ghosthunter in beta (and insirational testing)
Search for Jack (would have been my contest mansion, 80% done)
Escape from Ghost Mountain (300 or so rooms, in design)
Dominator II (Deep Space Nine type station with very little outside activity, rooms completed and ready for detail)
Hillybilly Heaven (almost totally OUTSIDE, complete with shacks, moonshine, guard dogs, and Pole-eese, working on the critters, and design)
I'm gearing up for the "But it's NOT a mansion with Jack running around!" comments. No it's not, but I am going for comedy relief with it......

Smiley

joeb

IP Logged

Chippy
Treasure Hunter

Switzerland
Reply #5 - 29.06.2007 at 03:25:45

GH on the Easy and Hard mode, its good. Or?

crisscross24  
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #6 - 09.09.2007 at 06:51:04

Another BUG I experience in this forum software (and I see it happen a lot longer than that post-vanishing thing), is the fact that often old threads are marked as NEW (to me) as if there was a new reply to it. But when I open the thread (like THIS ONE which has been marked new today, Sept. 9....before I wrote this) the latest entry is several weeks or months old !!!

Undecided   Fuxxer drives me crazy...    Undecided

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #7 - 09.09.2007 at 07:50:53

joeb wrote on 29.06.2007 at 02:56:48:
Freddy,

Yes 5 mansions in various stages of completion:
Ghosthunter in beta (and insirational testing)
Search for Jack (would have been my contest mansion, 80% done)
Escape from Ghost Mountain (300 or so rooms, in design)
Dominator II (Deep Space Nine type station with very little outside activity, rooms completed and ready for detail)
Hillybilly Heaven (almost totally OUTSIDE, complete with shacks, moonshine, guard dogs, and Pole-eese, working on the critters, and design)
I'm gearing up for the "But it's NOT a mansion with Jack running around!" comments. No it's not, but I am going for comedy relief with it......

Smiley

joeb

Dominator II? Wow, that sounds nice! Is it going to have new music? Is it for the expansion?

Looking forward to your mansions. Oh, and by the way, since I was on the contest list and everything, I played Ghosthunter. It was nice! But I did find some bugs. (LOTS) and yeah. I forgot them though! Guess I'll have to play it again.
Wingy

P.S. I think that GH was normal mostly, (MOSTLY) and a hard room here and there that sucked up my lives.

AND- I think its safe to say here in public - I got most Game Overs between the 2nd and 3rd save platforms because there was a like 50-100 room gap between those two! It would help if you put a save point in there, because the dark areas there are hard. (Unless you find the lantern)

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print