Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
House of Coine (Read 36872 times)
ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Re: House of Coine
Reply #20 - 25.05.2007 at 23:45:08

W00T! Thanks brell!

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #21 - 26.05.2007 at 00:42:27

My dear Ryos.....

you once accused me of "quirkyness"....but I have to say House Of Coine is (so far) the QUIRKIEST, weirdest place I ever visited  Cheesy Wink !!!
What with being killed by a zillion of squirrels in the (ca.) third room...not once, but -like - 4 times etc.
What IS this ???? (The epitome of a cheap death room ??  Wink)  
Looking forward to the "really strange" rooms which I'm sure will lay ahead of me.....

But progress is really slow....

BTW, I found a first Jack-stuck in room 16901... I had to abort the game:  I climbed higher and higher from the room middle until that little caveat near the top center.... ended stuck there.
Remember: every route that is "possible", someone will find and take it !

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #22 - 26.05.2007 at 03:43:19

aquaMat wrote on 26.05.2007 at 00:42:27:
My dear Ryos.....

you once accused me of "quirkyness"....but I have to say House Of Coine is (so far) the QUIRKIEST, weirdest place I ever visited  Cheesy Wink !!!

Hmm...quirky, you say? In a good way, right? Grin

Quote:
What with being killed by a zillion of squirrels in the (ca.) third room...not once, but -like - 4 times etc.
What IS this ???? (The epitome of a cheap death room ??  Wink)  
Looking forward to the "really strange" rooms which I'm sure will lay ahead of me.....

Cheap?? Me? NEVER! Tongue

No, really, I tried not to make it cheap. Well...the very beginning is a little cheap, but I feel the storyline calls for it. I never loose a life in this room - I thought it was pretty easy actually... Embarrassed

Tell me honestly - where was it cheap? Maybe I can fix it.

Quote:
But progress is really slow....

BTW, I found a first Jack-stuck in room 16901... I had to abort the game:  I climbed higher and higher from the room middle until that little caveat near the top center.... ended stuck there.
Remember: every route that is "possible", someone will find and take it !

I can't reproduce this. Can you post a movie or screen shot?

Thanks for your comments so far!

P.S. Here's a movie of the 'squirrel' room in case you didn't believe me when I said you could beat it without loosing a life.  Cool

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #23 - 26.05.2007 at 04:16:53

Oh, and...I'm a fan of walkthroughs myself. Not that I use them unless I absolutely need to, but sometimes it's better to cheat and get through than remain stuck.

But, being too lazy to write one, I recorded one instead. Cheesy

Warning: This video shows all secrets, as well as the way through the mansion. Contents may have settled during shipping. Ride at own risk.

IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #24 - 26.05.2007 at 04:52:59

Finished in twelve or so minutes, 100% secrets. I enjoyed it, but it is a very unforgiving mansion, mainly due to the total lack of treasure. Every zapper beam accident or fall is a permanent death, so a lot of rooms are way tenser than they otherwise would be. That's not a bad thing for a short, linear mansion like this one, though, and the story justifies it. I did appreciate the shields scattered about.

I got all the way through on my second try, but that first scorpion room massacred me on my first attempt, just because I didn't key into the logic until I had thrown away a few lives. Now it's easy, of course, but I think it would have been a stronger design if there were an introduction to the concept. Even just putting a single scorpion cage in the previous room would have worked, so the player could see what was going on and have a legitimate chance at deciphering the hard room without getting ripped apart. Those things ambush you pretty quickly.

I really enjoyed the atrium with the giant multi-room background picture, although I'm confused by your choice to use rope graphics when the vines would have looked so good there. I really like vertical movement in this game. It's a game that's unusually well suited to vertical level design, so I'm always happy to see it in a mansion.

Good job on your first big mansion. As always, I wish it were less linear and less focused on ultra-precise jumps, but it's definitely fun for what it is, and the graphic choices are very nice in a number of areas. And it's well written, of course. I find it strange to see so much text on a single sign, somehow. It seems like a segmented comic strip approach might feel more natural for this game. It breaks the flow of the action to stop and read a single sign for so long. But the signs themselves were entertaining. Just felt odd.

EDIT: You know, come to think of it, the mansion isn't really that linear. I just somehow never had the feeling that I was free to explore very often. But it's hard to say why I had that impression, since there are plenty of branches and different nooks and crannies with keys tucked away in them. I guess it's because I had to do each branch in order. Anyway, my favorite parts were always when the design opened up (like in the atrium) and let me look around, and I dig that there's a mix of those kinds of areas and the more tight, challenging stuff.

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #25 - 26.05.2007 at 07:33:33

In the meantime I've b eaten HOC too (see pic below).
Once you're after the first save pedestal (which comes too late for my taste, especially compared to the distance(s) between later save points) and get accustomed to its weirdness, it gets quite enjoyable and much more manageable.

In the meantime I can survive the "1000 squirrels room" too, without losing a little life. However until one finds out how that works, one loses at least a handful of lives, and that was what I referred to as a little "cheap". Although I have to say, once you know how it works, the room becomes quite fun.

The whole thing, with its wild style, reminds me a bit of Sam's style, but together with the funny storyline (and the pun with the absence of money in a place called "House Of Coins") it has quite a unique style of its own.

As some of you know, I'm not too much of a fan of these "wild style mansions" (the sort where rooms stop being "logical" and feature doors in strange places and too much colors etc.), but in this case I think the border is only occasionally crossed, and overall I enjoyed it !

I missed secrets though (guess there were only about three) and I have seen many a spot where I suspected one (which didn't come). However I understand it's not easy to plant secrets in a mansion that has the absence of money as a concept.  Wink
And I, too, felt it could have been a tiny bit less linear.

As for the Jack-stuck, I'll try to make a movie of it tomorrow.

Congratulations on your first mansion.

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #26 - 27.05.2007 at 14:19:17

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Re: it feels linear: I think that's mostly because each non-linear section is fairly small, and there's a linear connection between such sections. Or something.

Re: The rope graphics: When I chose to use the rope graphics so kindly provided by joeb, I was only planning to do one room in the "background mosaic" style. But then I tried it, and realized it could only really work (or it would work much better) if the mural spanned a whole tower. I still like the way the ropes look better than the vines though, and think that they make more sense in a mansion setting.

Quote:
As some of you know, I'm not too much of a fan of these "wild style mansions" (the sort where rooms stop being "logical" and feature doors in strange places and too much colors etc.), but in this case I think the border is only occasionally crossed, and overall I enjoyed it !

This from the creator of Discoteque of Doom! Tongue No, really Aquamat, coming from you this means a lot (you calling me unique that is).

Never mind about the movie, I found it. Fix on its way...later...right now, I'm going to bed. Smiley

Thanks once again for the comments. Now...I'd better get started on my contest mansion!

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #27 - 29.05.2007 at 00:47:03

Nice mansion, Ryos. Sorry I couldn't report any bugs I found during the beta-testing, I was alitte busy with school, and I had no access the computer with MM on it! Also, I had to go work with my dad somewhere, and earned about $180 CAN! Smiley Now I might beable to get out of dept, and pay money to fix my computer...

I played the first 10 rooms, though. Liked your style, abit like AquaMats. (Abit, not completly!) Some of my puzzles from my old mansions where in there, but they where used differantly. Such as, to survive a fall from very high, theres alittle ledge infront of the pit, and you have to jump over the ledge to survive, and another room I think had a zapper problem where you had to go somewhere, wait for the zappers to turn off, go somewhere els, wait, go, wait, then exit room, that sorta thing.

I'm not angry, because you did make my puzzles that I used abit better then when I made them. I remember someone asked me how to get over that ledge without dying... think it was Falcon/Alan.

Anyways... rooms 16301 was abit crazy, lots afew Jacks there. Sad I didn't play the final version thats on the forums now, I only have the first version you sent me.

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #28 - 29.05.2007 at 13:03:42

Anthony wrote on 29.05.2007 at 00:47:03:
I played the first 10 rooms, though. Liked your style, abit like AquaMats. (Abit, not completly!) Some of my puzzles from my old mansions where in there, but they where used differantly. Such as, to survive a fall from very high, theres alittle ledge infront of the pit, and you have to jump over the ledge to survive, and another room I think had a zapper problem where you had to go somewhere, wait for the zappers to turn off, go somewhere els, wait, go, wait, then exit room, that sorta thing.

I'm not angry, because you did make my puzzles that I used abit better then when I made them. I remember someone asked me how to get over that ledge without dying... think it was Falcon/Alan.

Thanks for the comments. I must say I'm glad you're not upset that I used "your" puzzles. That would be a bit like getting upset that someone made a mansion using tiles (just like I did in my first mansions!), or Vern getting mad because we copied that concept of Jack running through the mansion to get to the end.

I said earlier in this thread that I felt a sense of deja-vu when designing many rooms. I've played so many mansions that it wouldn't surprise me if my subconscious copied other things I've seen. It was not deliberate. Any resemblance it may bear to other mansions is entirely coincidental.

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #29 - 29.05.2007 at 22:41:30

Good points ryos!
A lot of what I've built has been inspired by something I've seen in a mansion. As a matter of fact I think I mentioned blatantly to you I was going to borrow a couple of things I've seen in HoC. I also know that several things I've done have inspired others and in some form or another have been copied. Heck, I have posted entire sets of graphics that have taken considerable time to generate. Good inspiration is where you find it and imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. If you want to be protective of ideas go patent them, although it's darned expensive and time consuming. Otherwise accept the fact that we ALL use what we've seen.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print