Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
House of Coine (Read 36877 times)
ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
House of Coine
20.04.2007 at 03:04:13

It seems pre-announcing is encouraged, so here I am, announcing my next mansion before it's done!

"In the cleft between a hill and a dale, far off the beaten path, there stands an ancient, dignified house. A man named Coine built the first of it together with his family, centuries ago, and their descendants have gone on, building a bit at a time, until the capstone was laid at last some fifty years ago.

The last lord of the house, Eastman Coine, was an eccentric and mysterious collector of coins. He threw open the doors to the public to showcase the house's fine history and his extensive collection of money. He also held competitions to see who could beat the bizarre series of obstacles and traps his paranoid ancestors had built into the place over the years.

One day several years ago, Coine disappeared mysteriously. This was, of course, in accordance with tradition; after all, what good is being mysterious and eccentric if you can't disappear mysteriously? And so, his disappearance went little remarked upon, and the House of Coine was subsequently ransacked by many a midnight adventurer and stripped of its former wealth and glory.

The once-proud house now stands as little more than a dangerous attraction for thrill-seeking college students. But rumors persist that Coine had far more wealth than he ever let on, and nobody has really plumbed the depths of the house to see what he may have left behind..."

House of Coine will be about 40 (+-10) rooms. As of now, I've done 11 of them. I hope to have this done before (or slightly after Wink) the start of the contest. I've got to practice, right?

As I'm building it, I occasionally get this nagging sense of deja-vu, as though I've seen what I'm building before. But I've played so many mansions I couldn't tell you where. I find it likely that my subconscious may just regurgitate something I've seen before.

Here is one of those rooms that gave me that feeling. Does it look familiar to anyone else?
« Last Edit: 31.08.2008 at 21:29:33 by brell »  

dejawho.png (70 KB | )
dejawho.png

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Re: House of Coine
Reply #1 - 20.04.2007 at 08:36:49

Nice to know that someone is still building "unaware" of the contest. Sometimes I have the feeling thar everyone got paralysed.

Your screenshot reminds me of aquaMat, but only because of the use of those dirty mud-bricks.

Anyway, I am looking forward. Smiley

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #2 - 20.04.2007 at 09:47:29

Freddy wrote on 20.04.2007 at 08:36:49:
Nice to know that someone is still building "unaware" of the contest. Sometimes I have the feeling thar everyone got paralysed.

Well, I'm sort of in the unique position of having entered the contest with no experience in building mansions. I don't really expect to win anything (and that's not why I'm doing it; I like a fun challenge is all), but I do want to give it my best shot.

So, I need to practice! I made eavesdropping to learn how the editor works, and now I'm making a "real" mansion to practice that aspect thereof. It's nothing ambitious, but like Eavesdropping, it should still be fun all the same.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #3 - 20.04.2007 at 19:31:48

Ooo a first timer... here's a hint: When I made my first mansion, it was alright. (Wingy's small mansion) Don't make bricks be alone*. Like, aquamat usualy uses alone bricks. That's ok, but Jacob didn't like it. You used alone bricks in your picture up there. I kinda liked that, but it needs more,, bricks!  Wink It will get your score up abit... maybe you have a gift for designing which I might have, if I win 1st, but if you do, that's going to be a problem for me. Tongue

*Bricks that don't have any other bricks near, and stands out abit.
Cheers,
Wingy

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #4 - 21.04.2007 at 20:08:49

Whaaat ??

I'm hearing a bit too much of "Don't do this, don't do that" on these boards lately.....

Every designer should be able to do whatever he wants, as long he doesn't crash the user's computers or offends anyone....
if there are more and more "rules" introduced this will stop being fun.

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #5 - 21.04.2007 at 20:53:04

You know, ryos, you don't have to do want I said to do. But it would make it look abit better, if I say so myself.  Wink

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

Amplifyed
Adventurer

Formally known as "Sam
S."

Down the hall on the 3rd right
Reply #6 - 21.04.2007 at 22:38:32

I liked "messy" style mansions where there is stuff just scattered in places, kinda like a junkyard. The mind mines was a great example of this, not saying it's bad, I'm just saying I like it where there are layer 6 bricks where you're walking. Gives the mansion a nice cave feel or something along the lines of that... Grin

-Vintage Octopus-

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #7 - 22.04.2007 at 00:20:30

Don't worry, Wingy...I'm not even sure what you're talking about!  Shocked

I don't know what you mean by "alone" bricks. Which bricks in the shot look "alone" to you?

Either way, I like the way the room looks. But if there's simple change I could make that would make it look better, I'm open to trying.

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #8 - 22.04.2007 at 01:50:56

I think the answer on this issue is rather simple.

Speaking for myself, I never made a "regular" mansion. I was always experimenting with very small "crazy" houses and my two major mansions were, or extremely huge, or contained an extremely difficult puzzle. The only "normal" things that I did were: a section in
Catacombs
and the unfinished
A deserted holiday village
. What I want to say, is that aquaMat is right about "swimming in free style" as long as we are talking about custom mansions. So, Ryos, please go on. Since neither Jacob Vann or Wingy do not NEED to like it! Wink

The contest with its rules is the other side of the story. And that is very clear as well. Participating means accepting the rules. And believe me, I will have BIG TROUBLES. Roll Eyes0

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #9 - 22.04.2007 at 14:38:21

Thanks Freddy. I haven't made a "normal" mansion either! Grin

I will continue as I had planned. Fortunately, the room I posted is not representative of the mansion's overall style anyway. Smiley

In other news, I've decided to lift the rope graphics from Mummy's Revenge. Thanks Joe! They look fantastic!  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print