Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: What browser and OS are you using for th MM Forum?

« Created by: joeb on: 17.05.2007 at 03:00:36 »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What Browser Are You Using? (Read 16405 times)
joeb
Adventurer

What Browser Are You Using?
17.05.2007 at 03:00:36

I would like to make sure that the new board templates work on as many forum members' systems as possible. Please choose ONE Mac browser and if you also view on Windows.

Thanks,

Joe B

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Re: What Browser Are You Using?
Reply #1 - 25.06.2007 at 05:32:39

Joe

I just stumbled upon this enquiry again (had already voted weeks ago)... and it reminded me of what I wanted to tell you:

When I was on vacation (last week of May) I also visited my old home town in South/West Germany, where I had the chance to visit these pages using my mother's Mac (she uses an old iMac G4, running Mac OS 9.2 with older browsers):

On her Internet Explorer (5) the boards looked AWFUL, apparently IE (which is a shitty-program anyway) can't correctly display the forum software:  all the headings looked normal, but the text of the posts was all crammed into a very small "stripe" on the right side of the display.

She also has the browser iCab installed, which is a bit of an Firefox clone (in fact it's recommended by Mozilla for Mac OS 9, as their browser don't support older Mac OS anymore.

On iCab the forum looked better, but still pretty strange.... I can't quite remember what was wrong, but it was something with font sizes and relationship between fonts and pics etc.

I'm just telling you this to show you that, indeed, it's very important to check everything with as many different browsers and OS's as possible....as even the forum software WITHOUT your design changes apparently can't be displayed correctly on too many systems.

Just thought I better let you know.....

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #2 - 26.06.2007 at 03:12:27

thanks aquaMat but I think both of those browsers are pretty ancient. I'll see if I can find them around and see what the issue is.

joeb

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #3 - 26.06.2007 at 18:51:14

Sure...those browsers are dated. But this was only intended as an example of the potential problems that can arise....

I was very surprised to see that a rather "simple" page as our forums is shown in a completely different manner, depending on the browser used.  Also I think we'd probably be surprised if we learned aboiut the number of people that still use old browsers.
Might be more than we think.....

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #4 - 26.06.2007 at 22:57:27

MM is designed for Mac OS X, not 9 or older systems.  So people visiting our forums because they are playing the game have a version of X and never versions of browsres, that read the forum layout correctly.  Note that many things have changed in web making, like xhtml instead of html, php, etc. that older browsers just can't handle.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #5 - 27.06.2007 at 04:55:00

Yeah....  there you have a point, definitely !! (I completely forogt that MM is for Mac OS X only....  Cool )

However, just look at my case..... even if I play MM at home on a Power Mac G5 running 10.4.5, I visited the boards from an old Mac while on holiday....  of course that probably only happens for 1 out of a 1000 visitors...so we probably can ignore it...

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #6 - 27.06.2007 at 06:38:18

Grin While on holiday:
1° one stays at home to be busy with MM;
2° one doesn't stay at home and ... forgets MM for a (very short) while?

IP Logged

JimRCGMO
Wanderer

Southeast Missouri
Reply #7 - 02.10.2011 at 06:18:31

Wanted to comment about 'outdated' browsers a little. As for older browsers, depends on your hardware - for example, I have an Intel iMac at home (no internet access there, 'nuther story), on which I play MM 1, 2, and HD (Episodes 1, 2 and am in process of converting and testing various custom mansions from MM1). Then, I have my (10 year old) PowerBook 2000 (which at least has OS X 10.4.11 - older G3 CPU and with RAM bumped to 1GB and hard drive now at 120GB), with which I can use local WiFi spots at restaurants and download updates, new mansions, surf the boards here, etc.).

Because Firefox has stopped support for the last G3 version (3.6.15), I have changed to TenFourFox, which supposedly is like Firefox 6 - except that TFFx doesn't support plug-ins anymore in their current version ( = no Flash). Apple's version of Safari on my PowerBook is capped at 4.1.3 (and there are security gaps with that). And for those wondering why I haven't got a newer MacBook, the simple answer is, not making enough money (after student loan payments and regular expenses). The iMac was a gift from my older brother, who retired better off than myself, and he upgrades his system every 3-4 years. So last fall, he asked me if I wanted his 'old' system (Heck yes!), and I now am able to run OS X 10.6.8 (and could run Lion) on it (which means MM HD... Cheesy ).

So please don't get too hasty about those with 'outdated' browsers, as it may have more to do with how the person connects with the internet. Let's not further what digital divide is happening (with Firefox coming out with monthly updates, and abandoning the version that was top-of-the-line six months ago). A little consideration for others, okay?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print