Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FREE SOFTWARE (Read 8394 times)
joeb
Adventurer

FREE SOFTWARE
15.06.2007 at 12:53:24

All,

Remember I said that you could get really great software at a great price at certain times?

Well this is one of those times...

www.daz3d.com

DAZ is GIVING away Bryce 5.5 for FREE. You can upgrade to the full version of 6 for $19.95

Just an FYI.....

Joe B

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Re: FREE SOFTWARE
Reply #1 - 16.06.2007 at 01:44:40

Dang, that's awesome. My Bryce was stuck at version 3, which didn't even really run under Classic (wireframe drawing was unusably slow). This makes me happy if only for nostalgic reasons. I'm downloading as we speak.

Too bad I don't really have time for that sort of thing these days. Should still be fun to give it another whirl and see if some of my old scenes still open and render properly. Smiley

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #2 - 16.06.2007 at 05:28:25

Joe, could you give us a short description on the difference between Bryce and DAZStudio?  Which one would we use to create background pics?

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #3 - 16.06.2007 at 20:31:04

Wow, thats a deal. My brother bought Bryce 5.0 for $200 afew years ago!  Shocked

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #4 - 17.06.2007 at 00:57:08

I registered yesterday and they still haven't sent me a serial number. Sad Can't really complain since it's free, but still...

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #5 - 26.06.2007 at 02:11:01

Bryce vs DAZ.......

Think of DAZ as the actors guild and Bryce as the set designers.
You can use things from DAZ in Bryce (actually the interface between the 2 has been VASTLY simplified) and visa versa but what they do best is what I describe above.

For instance in GH the opening "room" has the castle in the mountains (the new version of Bryce actually uses that castle on the box cover and splash screen). The castle is from DAZ (Shroom Castle). I played around with elements of Shroom in DAZ until I got it correct and got the lighting figured out. I exported it as an object file with all the scene elements (lights, textures, etc.)
In Bryce I designed the mountains from scratch using the Terrain Editor until I got what I felt was a good place for the castle to sit. I played with the atmospherics (fog, haze, ambient lighting, sun position) until I got it the way I wanted it.
Then I imported the castle object, scaled it and placed it where I wanted. I then moved the camera around to get all the scenes (including the ones where the castle isn't visible) and saved them as jpegs. What's cool about this method is that the scenes are consistent as you "move" around and up Ghost Mountain because you're really IN the scene.
I then did post work in Photoshop using the Alien Skin Eye Candy 5: Nature filters, Smoke (add depth to the fog) and Snow Drift for the snow. I used the Alien Skin Xenofex 2 filters, Cracks (for the lava channels down the mountain), Little Fluffy Clouds for the clouds.
Phew.......
But I have gotten a TON of positive comments on the GH backgrounds and they really speak for taking a little extra time to setup. If anyone is interested I have the source files, Bryce, DAZ and Photoshop laying around if you're interested (email me). As I mentioned the Bryce promotion was well worth the time to register at DAZ and DAZ Studio has ALWAYS been free. DAZ also has weekly free objects. Bryce and DAZ are not tools that you just go into and use right away without taking time to use them but they are POWERFUL! There is a HUGE forum that you can get to from DAZ that has links to lots of free content and you can get questions answered quickly. AND there are a bunch of free tutorials. My forum ID is joeb3651
And you can always email me......

HTH,

Joe B

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print