Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Released (Read 38576 times)
Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Re: Released
Reply #40 - 28.08.2008 at 19:28:13

Actually, most jumps are sort of allright, only a few are really hard and stressful (when they involve moving stuff and you don't have time to tiptoe to the edge and calculate the jump).

On the nice side, the mansion also provided some hitchcock moments, when Jack has no life left and has to be extra careful while looking for some saving point. It happened to me when I had to climb down some tubes just before the last save. (It's those moments when you get sad to face one of the jumps described above.)

It is nice to replay your own old mansions, it is a feeling not unlike discovering them for the first time indeed! And you end up cursing and shouting at yourself for hiding the secrets too well, too Wink

By the way, I experienced some 'slowing down' problems as you say in the info bit, but, amusingly enough, not with lava but with the flying heads. It felt like a slow motion in the movies  Cheesy

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #41 - 28.08.2008 at 22:18:22

Yeah, I left that in deliberately as kind of a surprise effect.

Interestingly, it doesn't happen on my big Mac (G5, Dual 2.0 GHz), but on my smaller G5 (1.8 GHz processor) it does.
But this smaller computer had also a few problems with the all-lava room at the beginning, which was not so nice....therefore I mentioned that in the info.

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #42 - 28.08.2008 at 22:20:25

@ everybody:

BTW, the new update (Version 1.2) has been sent to the admins a few days ago.

Once it is released I strongly recommend all players to upgrade and trash the older version(s).

IP Logged

Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Reply #43 - 28.08.2008 at 23:10:14

Hi aquaMat,

I'm thoroughly enjoying (!) Jump, but it is oh so challenging. Your designs are really awesome, how do you come up with this stuff. I'm working on the next section of Catacombs, and it's very hard for me to come up with something interesting. Can you give me some tips on your design process?

Thanks!

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #44 - 29.08.2008 at 00:35:15

Hi Semi-Native,

you probably won't believe it, but THE FOUR TUBES is the only one of my mansions that I have actually pre-planned (to a certain extent) by sketching the overall layout on a sheet of paper.

All others, including JUMP!, were done more on impulse or in a "stream-of-consciousness-kind of way" than careful planning.

I don't know why, but this method seems to work for me. Only very rarely, when the creative juices are not flowing at all, can this method result in something akin to "writer's block"..... ("builder's block", probably   Wink).

That probably doesn't help you much with the problem at hand, I'm afraid.

One other possible method is to think of an overall "theme" first  (e.g. brell's Pirate Ship, or my "Discotheque") and then start building according to that theme.
However, this method won't be working with Catacombs, necessarily, as it is a "shared mansion" and doesn't really feature a theme.

Bizarrely, my Catacomvs section was the fastest thing I ever built, took me only 2 days or so....but don't ask me why.
I probably was on a roll that day.

If you need any specific designer tips, don't hesitate to email me.

IP Logged

SandyBean
Adventurer

Deroche,BC,Canada
Reply #45 - 30.08.2008 at 09:26:06

Hi AquaMat,

I just finished your fantasmagic mansion "Jump" and it was great !!!  Loved the upside down levers, and all the tough spots, it took up most of my spare time for the last few days, and was always something to look forward to.  Really enjoyed the last section btwn save #7 and exit, where  it was a true expedition!  Keep up the great mansion building, and thanks again!

SandyBean Smiley

Picture_3_011.png (350 KB | )
Picture_3_011.png

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #46 - 30.08.2008 at 18:44:48

Thanks a lot, Sandy,

for your nice remarks about JUMP!
I'm glad that you enjoyed it..... and congratulations on your pretty good
result....with 82 % secrets.

You mentioned the upside down levers....yeah, I'm pretty proud of them, too..... I always like to have one or two small innovations in a mansion.

IP Logged

nancygevans
Wanderer

California
Reply #47 - 02.09.2008 at 07:33:09

I loved your mansion too, and almost finished it. Can't figure out how to get the last yellow key on the far right side of 18896. Hint please? Thanks for your great work, it's really fun!

Nancy

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #48 - 03.09.2008 at 01:59:02

Hi Nanxy,

there's a little trick involved in getting the yellow key you're talking about.

I'm sure if you think about it for a while, you will find out....  while you're thinking let Jackl do
a few workouts.

Wink    Cool

IP Logged

nancygevans
Wanderer

California
Reply #49 - 03.09.2008 at 07:09:12

Very clever!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print