Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Amusing... (Read 10216 times)
VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Amusing...
27.03.2009 at 05:22:58

Well, I thought this was quite amusing. I decided to contact "Big Fish Games" to have them consider distributing Midnight Mansion, since I've been surprised since the game's release to see how many moms and grandmas seem to really enjoy it, and that's exactly the demographic Big Fish Games targets.

Today I got back this email. It's amusing to me to see how a review rep. thinks Midnight Mansion won't appeal to the very people who have written me saying they like it!

I'm not bothered by this... wasn't sure I'd want to publish with them anyway. It depended on what their terms were. But I *do* find it funny that they are turning down something that would possibly end up being a much bigger hit for them than they'd expect.

-----------

My name is [edited] and I am a Partner Relations Manager for Big Fish Games.  Thank you for submitting your "Midnight Mansion" game for review.  After playing the game for a while, it was apparent that a great deal of work went into its creation.  However, I'm afraid that we do not feel that the game is the right fit for our current consumer base.  As our customer audience is predominately female with the majority of players being over the age of 35, the most popular game genres on our site tend to be Hidden Object, Puzzle Adventure, Time-Management, and Sims/Strategy style games.  Regarding "Midnight Mansion", while it has its own fun and unique aspects, the game would simply not resonate well with our audience when contrasted with the types of games we're currently offering and that are continually being released on our site.  Specifically, the game is more action and reaction based than the static nature of the puzzle and hidden object games that we’re currently offering.

Once again, I do appreciate you giving me the opportunity to review your game, and please do not hesitate to write back as you continue to develop games and consider new titles in the future.  I will be more than happy to review them for you!

IP Logged

Catwoman
Explorer

New Jersey, USA
Re: Amusing...
Reply #1 - 27.03.2009 at 07:34:22

Ok, I have to respond to this. I've never heard of this site, never been there. So I guess that might say I'm not their target. But otherwise I am their target. I am 40+ in age, don't play a lot of games (solitaire type, enjoyed Bugdom that came with my first iBook, mahjong), but I have become an absolute addict of MM! And I mean addict. Smiley

I throw myself against walls.
IP Logged

Catwoman
Explorer

New Jersey, USA
Reply #2 - 27.03.2009 at 07:35:47

Sorry, internet connection problem -- posted twice.

I throw myself against walls.
IP Logged

Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Reply #3 - 27.03.2009 at 08:20:09

I have bought some games from Big Fish Games, including hidden object games, which I like. But I'm a (cough) mature grandma, and I absolutely LOVE MM, obviously, so they really missed the boat on this one.

Oh well.
Huh

IP Logged

iRock
Wanderer

Pacific NW Washington State
Reply #4 - 27.03.2009 at 09:05:29

I am a 49 year old woman and I have been to Big Fish and purchased a few games. They have nothing as good as MM. I play it almost daily.

IP Logged

Missy
Treasure Hunter

Toronto, Canada
Reply #5 - 27.03.2009 at 09:26:42

Hi Vern,

This is too funny.....A couple of mths ago, I was finally able to find an email address for Pop Cap Games, http://www.popcap.com/
as I play their FREE ONLINE games while waiting for a new CM from MM, to complain about the games freezing up/glitch of some sort.  I told them my age and my preferences and stated the nothing on their site came close to MM, and that I not only bought your game, not only became an addict as well as all the other wonderful forum members, but it immensely helps with left and right brain stimulation as well as memory, and that they should check it out.  Well, they pretty much said the same thing that Big Fish Games said to you, and GET THIS....THEY PUSHED THEIR "PEGGLE GAME" AS BEING THEIR TOP ACTION GAME.  LOLOLOLOLOL
I have played Peggle before.....no big deal.  Yes, I have played games from both these game sites, and yes, the only reason that I prefer their Hidden Object & Puzzle Adventure is because they DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING THAT COMES CLOSE TO YOUR AMAZING, HIDDEN SECRET ROOMS, PUZZLE, ADVENTURE, STRATEGY AND SKILL GAME.  
I explained to Pop Cap pretty much that the above is the reason that I have not purchased any game from them as the games end up being very boring after a while.  And that your MM game is always offering a new twist.  As well as this amazing CM forum and great member participation.

Vern, this is just a suggestion, but I think that you are dealing with persons who have an entirely different buying games agenda and perhaps they already know that you would not sell out to them.

It would be great if you would submit our age groups, genders and our testimonials as to how great this game is and that we are now all addicted to it.

If I knew how to set up my own web site, and create those search engine links thru Google, I would swamp the search pages with MM just as other Game sellers do, with a direct link to you when someone wants to buy.  You do not have much exposure out there.  
Whenever I talk to Apple Care, which sometimes is often, I always promote MM to the Care Assistants.  btw: they never heard of it!  

I even put a post on the mac forum, promoting this amazing creation of yours.....but alas, I am the only one who has done this on their site.  If more of us did that, then there would be more posts and replies, chats about the game and all.....this is what creates exposure.  My one sided post is lonely on that site.  

Remember, your MM game is not PC friendly, and most employees play games at work on PC's, when they can, without getting caught or on their lunch break....so posts & chats on the mac forums would help create a demand for the game with Mac users.  
Those game sellers cater to PC's and only in the last recent year or two, made most, not all of their games Mac compatible.
There are a lot of new Mac owners that post on Mac Forums, asking for games that others could recommend.  Check it out under category Apple Games -mac, iPod, computer games - not for console games
LINK: http://forums.macrumors.com/

Look up my post re:  MM game, in the game section under my code name OMGaNewbie  (lololo)   Smiley

Missy

IP Logged

SandyBean
Adventurer

Deroche,BC,Canada
Reply #6 - 27.03.2009 at 10:40:12

Hi Vern et al,

I have always (for two years now) been searching for good iMac games, and have found that MM was the most wonderful, invaluable, and exciting $20 odd dollars I have ever spent ! Grin

I subscribe to Big Fish Games, and their time management, hidden object, blah, blah, blah games bore me to death, and I couldn't be bothered to even try out the free demos.  I am surprised that they would not jump at the chance to have MM as one of their games!  Too bad for them, and their loss. Embarrassed

Keep up the great work, Vern, the only thing I would wish for is that you could get out the contest winning mansions and the new mansion builder soon, it has been an awfully long time !!!!   Undecided

Thanks,

SandyBean Smiley

IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #7 - 28.03.2009 at 01:50:00

Missy, your post brought a smile to my face. Smiley It's rewarding to know there are fans of the game who would even try to promote MM to a different company, like PopCap. Wink Haha.

FYI, PopCap is doing *very* well. For them, a "successful" title is one that sells over 100,000 copies. Most of their titles are successful. I could only hope for a 10th of that success. But then again, a lot of those sales are through portals like BigFishGames, where they only get only a portion of the profits, so the profits aren't as huge as you might think, but they're still quite good.

IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #8 - 28.03.2009 at 01:51:22

SandyBean wrote on 27.03.2009 at 10:40:12:
Keep up the great work, Vern, the only thing I would wish for is that you could get out the contest winning mansions and the new mansion builder soon, it has been an awfully long time !!!!   Undecided

Hoping to, Sandy! And this is *not* a promise of a release date, but I am *hoping* to get Insectoid out within 2-3 months, and then the MM expansion pack should follow within another 2-3 months. *Fingers crossed.*

IP Logged

Missy
Treasure Hunter

Toronto, Canada
Reply #9 - 28.03.2009 at 02:43:32

Hi Vern,

I'm glad I made you smile.  I am a cross between Lucille Ball and nasty Don Rickles. But I had to clean up my act back in the 80's & drop the Don stuff.  lolol

I was just trying to help you not feel disappointed.  After all, look what Christopher Columbus had to go thru before he could get someone to give him a ship!  Even today, some idiots still think that Neil Armstrong never made that trip to the moon & the holocaust never happened.  lolol

The best things in life, unfortunately come thru the hard price of "School of Hard Knocks".  

The best way to plug something is IN PERSON.  Yep, it's harder to say no, face to face.  That buy's you time to pitch your product.  Heck, do you know how many producers turned down the movie Mash because they did not think the world need yet another war movie.  I know one personally, who still kicks himself.

Bottom line....there are many ways to skin a.....(I don't want PETA after me, so I won't finish the line.)  lololol

You have a great, Great, GREAT game.  You just have to find a different road or two to plug it.  Don't ever put ALL your eggs in one basket.  And remember.  Timing is everything.

When I went into the Apple Store in upscale Sherway Gardens Ontario, Canada, I remember being so disappointed that they did not have sample games available for me to check out while I was there waiting to be served. (A couple of yrs. ago.) They did at Future Shop and Best Buy.
Why not see if you can make a deal with all the Apple stores in North America, to allow your game to be played in the Kid's corner of the store, while the parents are busy with the staff?  

Anyway.....keep on smiling.  And in case your wonder, who the heck is Don Rickles. The below links should make you laugh as it did us from that era.

Don Rickles on Dean Martin Roasts : Sammy Davis Jr
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUcEQvU6LPE&feature=related

Dean Martin Variety Show - Don Rickles part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1Ib_8Can3k

Dean Martin Variety Show - Don Rickles part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmf__tKxAEo

Dean Martin Variety Show - Don Rickles part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzYn3eHlRt4

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Missy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2