Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
GraphicConverter (Read 12898 times)
aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Re: GraphicConverter
Reply #10 - 21.05.2009 at 21:50:09

Dear Josephine,

you are making one big mistake (and one or two smaller ones):

The "adding" of new bricks -as you imagine it- is NOT possible. If you want to add a new brick you always have to REPLACE an old brick with it, using the old brick's res ID.
This is because Vern did not provide the "empty space" needed for additional bricks / tiles (and additional res IDs)...which you can see very easily in MM's Level Editor: The top row displaying all available tiles and sprites is already full! Where should a new, additional res ID appear ?  
So you have to replace an existing res ID's image with your new PICT, which does not mean however, that you're restricted to simply changing a brick's color.
If you look at Joe B's set of graphics or my Discotheque of Doom custom bits you'll notice that we have changed some of the tiles + sprites quite drastically...within certain limits.

Example: you cannot change a normal "brick" into a "moving platform" sprite or something. You also cannot change a blue bird into  - say - a tiger....because that tiger would then fly; which is due to the fact that Vern has programmed a certain amount of "behavioural traits" (my expression) for the sprite "blue bird". You can replace its image with that of a tiger, but it would still behave like the blue bird.

What you can do, however, is change blue or gold bricks into sand or snow tiles, for example, or those "oil paintings" into pop art posters (as I did in DoD), or even change Jack into a robot as Joe so successfully once did.
That last thing, trust me, is a huge amount of work though.

So start with simple things.

The second, smaller mistake you apparently make is that you put your new custom PICTs into the "Midnight Mansion Sprites" res file, which is no longer needed. You can put it directly into your mansion's res file. But take care to apply it the exact res ID as the tile or sprite you want (it) to replace (which of course DOES reside in the MM Sprites file).
However, you don't have to remove the old res ID, as the game is now clever enough to know your having added a PICT res with the number XXX into your (mansion name) file means this is the one you want to have used (instead of the old one).

Clear enough ?

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

josephine
Adventurer

California
Re: GraphicConverter
Reply #11 - 22.05.2009 at 09:22:55

Doh! That would explain why I'm having trouble adding a new brick, wouldn't it? And Olle pointed out the res file mistake but I misunderstood what he wrote. Mi Engrish not so guud sumtimez  Cheesy

Anyway, thank you guys so much for your help! You rock.

PS- flying tigers?? Hmm, that gives me an idea. Flying pigs? Flying toasters (remember those?)  Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print