Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Nearing completion:  BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLANET (Read 15410 times)
aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Nearing completion:  BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLANET
25.10.2009 at 21:55:17

To keep you updated:

My latest one, BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLANET, is now - slowly - nearing completion. (Of the basic building process, that is.)

It's gotten quite big..... at the moment about 130 rooms, or so.

Also - as I had mentioned elsewhere on these pages, due to the "improvisational design process" the story has considerably moved away from the initial "Jack is in space / emergency-lands on strange planet" - scenario, even if the beginning with the ejection seat still stands.
Somehow the layout of many later rooms didn't really turn out very "extra-terrestrional" at all....   Embarrassed   ahem.. Undecided     Cry

So I thought I could do either of 2 things:
1.  Trash the opening sequence and rename the whole mansion.....  or:
2.  Leave the opening sequence in, and treat the mansion name quite literarilly:   Jack IS the brother from ANOTHER planet, which doesn't have to mean he has to emergency-land on a "strange" planet.
It could very well be our own blue one....only he's not sure where exactly he is.  And we - as players - aren't that sure either, 'cause there are enough unusual, "strange" looking rooms in the first half.

I tend to go with solution number 2.

Any opinions ??

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

leo
Wanderer

Re: Nearing completion:  BROTHER FROM ANOTHER PLAN
Reply #1 - 26.10.2009 at 03:04:32

Option 2 sounds just fine to me.

If you already put a lot of work in, you should definitely try and save everything you did.

Can't wait to play your new mansion!   Cheesy

IP Logged

SandyBean
Adventurer

Deroche,BC,Canada
Reply #2 - 26.10.2009 at 07:36:55

My Jack Wants So Bad To Try The Ejection Seat, please don't remove it !!!!!  (remember, he is a tad suicidal  Wink)

thanks,

SandyBean

(Jack made me do it!)

IP Logged

Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Reply #3 - 26.10.2009 at 19:29:30

Yeah, please keep it all in. Can't wait!
Smiley

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #4 - 28.10.2009 at 00:56:54

Wow, thanks for the feedback !!

That's decided, then !

I'll leave it in......  
....but I hope it won't backfire on me that we have talked about this "ejection seat" scene now repeatedly....I can see how expectations are building up unproportionately..... Shocked   Wink
Please don't expect too much.....and then be disappointed.
It's just a lil' gimmick, really.

Thanks for the positive, encouraging remarks.

I'm off....building.   Cool

IP Logged

SandyBean
Adventurer

Deroche,BC,Canada
Reply #5 - 28.10.2009 at 08:31:00

Hi aquaMat !

Be disappointed........ya right !  By one of your mansions???  Me and my Jack don't think so !

Looking forward to it, hope it's soon, as we are going through MM withdrawal.  

thanks, and take care,

SandyBean  Smiley

IP Logged

josephine
Adventurer

California
Reply #6 - 28.10.2009 at 10:30:54

Hey aquamat, check your PM's   Smiley

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #7 - 31.10.2009 at 10:10:18

Uh oh... another one of AquaMat's crazy (but awesome) masterpieces. Smiley I haven't finished that last one he made yet, still stuck somewhere, I think... Tongue

Your mansion building style still befuddles me though. You have a very unique style. Tongue A very cool style, might I add.

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #8 - 03.11.2009 at 19:18:11

Wingy, my man!

That wasn't what I intended..... that a mansion of mine is so a) hard or b) boring  that a master practitioner like yourself is forced to give up on it.
I'm truly worried.  
But I know what you mean.  For me, this often happens with Freddie's designs. I completely admire them and I do like them....  but usually somewhere in the second third of one of his designs I can't seem to get further and eventually give up.
I know I shouldn't though, so I retry half a year later - maybe get a little further maybe not. But still can't finish before I lose patience.

However, I had always hoped this phenomenon is not the case with my designs....and - luckily - until now I haven't heard too many complains.  
Maybe one nice winter day you'll find the time to re-try "The Complex", I assure you it's perfectly manageable. (I even consider it to be less hard than many earlier ones.....).

For you, and all the others - here's a teaser preview of one room only (from BFAP):

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #9 - 03.11.2009 at 19:50:05

aquaMat wrote on 03.11.2009 at 19:18:11:
Wingy, my man!

That wasn't what I intended..... that a mansion of mine is so a) hard or b) boring  that a master practitioner like yourself is forced to give up on it.
I'm truly worried.  
But I know what you mean.  For me, this often happens with Freddie's designs. I completely admire them and I do like them....  but usually somewhere in the second third of one of his designs I can't seem to get further and eventually give up.
I know I shouldn't though, so I retry half a year later - maybe get a little further maybe not. But still can't finish before I lose patience.

However, I had always hoped this phenomenon is not the case with my designs....and - luckily - until now I haven't heard too many complains.  

In the end this is really a matter of taste.  I myself like Freddy's mansions very much.  There is something about his building style that stimulates me.  It has very little to do with how easy/hard they are.

In my opinion, therefore, we should all be reluctant to critizise the bulders' building style.  There will always be someone who likes or dislikes a special building style and that is quite normal.  If I, for example, decide to make another mansion, I will not be deferred from my building style for 2 reasons:
1. I like it myself  Wink
2. I know that at least some of you like it.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print