Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Transporters (Read 16080 times)
Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Transporters
23.05.2010 at 04:26:01

I'd like to see areas (that are something like exits) which could transport Jack to some specified location within the mansion. Something like this could be used to create some pretty challenging new puzzles. These could be one-way or two-way portals.

IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Re: Transporters
Reply #1 - 30.08.2010 at 06:03:49

I have a couple of ideas that I think are better than transporters. Transporters are so cliche -- the typical thing to do in a video game. But I don't think they blend into the "Midnight Mansion universe" very well. Somehow the game does feel fairly well grounded in reality, as silly as that may sound, and transporters are "outside of that reality."

Here's what I like better (doing both of these):

1) Doors in the "background layer". You know how you have jail cells and windows in the background tiles? What if, instead of a jail cell, you had a door that Jack could enter? It doesn't require a key. It's much like the exit door at the of the mansion. But when he enters this door, he comes out "behind" the current room. You enter a brand new room with a door in the same location, and when you go back through the door, you go back where you came from.

This could result in some *really* interesting puzzles. Is a wall blocking your progress in the "front" room? Go through the passageway in the *back* rooms.

2) Elevators. Similar to doors, but used for moving vertically through the mansion. And has cool animations for the dial above the elevator (showing what floor you're on), etc.

These both are very similar to transporters, but more grounded in "reality" and I think would also add a lot to the atmosphere of the game.

Just TWO of the many ideas I have for Midnight Mansion 3!

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #2 - 30.08.2010 at 11:11:30

Admittedly, I saw this more in terms of an exit that didn't exit the game.

One of the things about the game is I've felt too trapped by the confines of the surrounding areas. If I wanted a way to move Jack to another area, it could take a lot of planning unless it occurred in an area that was on the edge of a structure. Multi-room platforms help with this a little, as do poles, but they still can have a disruptive impact on surrounding rooms (unless those rooms are empty space).

I've often felt that given the HUGE amount of available space available in the mansion grid, it sure would be great to be able to pop Jack into one of the far corners where you had this sense of flinging him into the unknown.

I realize that transporters are cliche, but so are many things in Jack's world now.

Some of the other ideas you suggest sound pretty intriguing though.

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #3 - 30.08.2010 at 11:28:58

VernJensen wrote on 30.08.2010 at 06:03:49:
1) Doors in the "background layer". You know how you have jail cells and windows in the background tiles? What if, instead of a jail cell, you had a door that Jack could enter? It doesn't require a key. It's much like the exit door at the of the mansion. But when he enters this door, he comes out "behind" the current room. You enter a brand new room with a door in the same location, and when you go back through the door, you go back where you came from.

This would be a very nice addition for a Midnight Mansion game. I believe I first saw this sort of feature in Braid and Mario. What you're talking about is stepping it up a notch altogether, having the rooms 'synced' with rooms behind/in front of it.  Would there be a limit of how far 'behind' or 'in front' you can go? In my opinion stopping at 2 each way would be advisable, just to avoid confusion from the player. You don't want to make the game *too* complicated now, do you. Tongue

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #4 - 31.08.2010 at 01:03:10

I like this idea on first glance, Vern.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #5 - 31.08.2010 at 01:07:07

This Topic was moved here from Game Improvements by brell.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #6 - 31.08.2010 at 03:53:02

VernJensen wrote on 30.08.2010 at 06:03:49:

Kind of like the idea involving invisible signs, the implementation or how the mechanism is grounded doesn't particularly matter to me (though I understand why it does to you). The functionality is what matters to me! Smiley

I like the elevator idea, but focusing on your first idea, I like the idea of a closed door (perhaps a few styles) that Jack can open and go inside and appears in the background, then exit someplace completely different. I'd have to say I differ from Anthony. I'd like for the possibility for this doorway to be able to lead to practically anywhere that I as a designer wish it to go.

Perhaps this could be limited for future included mansions. I could see how something like this could dovetail into smaller mansion subsections to simulate multi-dimensional mansions.
For example, you have a mansion consisting of 20-30 rooms at one level. Perhaps *it* has a few of these doors, each leading to other sub-sections (perhaps another 10-15 rooms? who knows..) It might used to implement other wings of a mansion, and sort of make mansions 3 dimensional, yet still be represented in 2D.

IP Logged

Catwoman
Explorer

New Jersey, USA
Reply #7 - 31.08.2010 at 05:53:39

I like both of those ideas Vern. And to Rob's point, it could be a secret passageway that does take you to a different area in the builder that could have as many rooms as the creator wants but to return you use the door. This way it's not obvious to the player when viewing the map.

I throw myself against walls.
IP Logged

jacobvann
Wanderer

Champaign, IL
Reply #8 - 01.09.2010 at 00:16:56

Oh my.  Doors in the background sounds like a cool idea, it would allow for new "depth" in Mansion designs. 

I think you would have to keep it so that every "room" in a mansion just has a "front" and a "back", and the background doors link the two.  Otherwise, it would get *really* confusing, imo.

I wonder how you would represent a "3d" mansion (even if it was only 2 rooms deep) in the mansion builder or even in the map screen of the game?

IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #9 - 01.09.2010 at 04:25:17

Jacob,

As for representing it in the mansion builder, it would behave "like" a transporter, where the designer indicates a room for you to teleport to, and you just bury this room off to the side somewhere. (I'd vote for above or below the main body of your mansion.) Then it's up to the mansion designer to make sure it behaves not like a teleporter, but instead like a door. i.e. you don't move about randomly, but it's like a "room behind the room"

The game could "enforce" this somewhat by ensuring that on the return trip, you go back where you came from. (If I don't enforce this, I know designers will abuse it!!)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print