Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
MM1 and 2 HD (Read 10756 times)
Matari
Explorer

UK
MM1 and 2 HD
02.09.2011 at 06:15:19

Hiya - I purchased both tonight but they are not linking as far as I can see?  Also, do I need to download all the custom mansions again, because they are not in the folder. Advice gratefully appreciated.  Thank you for making them Lion friendly  Smiley

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Re: MM1 and 2 HD
Reply #1 - 02.09.2011 at 07:53:39

Matari,

The old mansion format will not work with the new version of the game. We're in the process of converting the custom mansions to the new format, at least those that can be converted easily. Some, especially those that use custom graphics may take longer if at all. For the large majority of custom mansions, there shouldn't be any issue. More information will be coming very soon.

As far as linking goes, here's what I had to do:

- Start Ep1, add a profile, then exit;
- Start Ep2, and when it came up it displayed a message saying that it found Ep1 and established the link. From that point on either Ep1 or Ep2 could be used.

This isn't what happened for you?

Rob

IP Logged

Matari
Explorer

UK
Reply #2 - 02.09.2011 at 19:44:12

Hi Rob, yes that is what happened to me - maybe I am a bit confused as to why we have ep1 and ep2?  I thought that ep2 was going to have all the custom mansions in it.  I think I am confused - help  Smiley

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #3 - 02.09.2011 at 21:21:01

Matari wrote on 02.09.2011 at 19:44:12:
Hi Rob, yes that is what happened to me - maybe I am a bit confused as to why we have ep1 and ep2?  I thought that ep2 was going to have all the custom mansions in it.  I think I am confused - help  Smiley

Some of this might be cleared up in the FAQ:

http://www.actionsoft.com/games/midnightmansionhd/faq.php#EpisodeOneVersusTwo

I'll summarize a bit. Splitting the game into two separate downloads provided a way for Vern to offer a portion of the game at a greatly reduced price. Someone could buy either episode 1 OR episode 2 and be able to play full versions of some of the mansions. If the person liked what they saw, then they could buy both episodes. As an added bonus for having purchased both episodes, the player could then play custom mansions - downloaded separately from the forum. Once the games have been "linked" they can be used interchangeably.

The custom mansions aren't bundled with either game.

When you try to open a custom mansion for the first time, you should see a message, telling you that the game cannot find a custom mansion folder. It then creates it in the same directory containing the Midnight Mansion game. This is the directory that the game will be looking in for any custom mansions you've downloaded.

As I mentioned in a previous post, the original custom mansion format cannot be played in the new game without going through a conversion process. The process is fairly easy, but for added convenience, the admins are going through all the existing custom mansions and converting them for use with MM HD.

Does this help a little?

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #4 - 02.09.2011 at 21:31:11

One further note. Although it is possible and easy to convert the old mansions yourself if you wish, though some mansions may have issues in the conversion process. Others that contain custom graphics are not easily converted at this time. Some mansions also may not be playable due to minor changes to the game.

Fortunately, the number of mansions that fall into one or more of these categories is very small. Still, because of that it may be best to wait until Admins have converted them and make them available from the same pages the originals were made available. This process is underway now, and should be finished within a week or two.

Update: minor grammar edit
« Last Edit: 03.09.2011 at 20:40:22 by Rob Seegel »  

IP Logged

Matari
Explorer

UK
Reply #5 - 02.09.2011 at 22:58:49

Hi Rob

Thank you - that does explain what is happening.  Given that I will need to play all the originals again (plus the bonus games), I think I am happy to wait for the admins to convert the custom mansions. 

Meanwhile, I like the map on Lion version - it is much easier to manipulate and also the game play feels smoother.   Smiley

IP Logged

jacobvann
Wanderer

Champaign, IL
Reply #6 - 02.09.2011 at 23:14:00

Someone should volunteer to make an MMHD friendly .zip of all the custom mansions so people can download and use right away instead of having them go through hoops.

IP Logged

jacobvann
Wanderer

Champaign, IL
Reply #7 - 02.09.2011 at 23:14:31

And by volunteer I mean I'm too lazy to do it myself. Smiley

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #8 - 03.09.2011 at 06:40:06

Yep - that's why I already volunteered to do just that. All the custom mansions have already been evaluated and converted. Most likely the majority will be uploaded this weekend.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #9 - 03.09.2011 at 23:37:23

The admins are checking all custom mansions except those with custom graphics to see whether they are playable in the HD.  We will then convert and upload all cm's that work and ask the authors of those cm's, that need some modifications so they will work, to either make the changes themselves or allow us to make the changes and upload them.  This will take some time so please have some patience.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print