Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How to run the original MM and MM2 in Lion and later OS'es (Read 12836 times)
brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
How to run the original MM and MM2 in Lion and later OS'es
18.11.2012 at 21:05:18

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Re: How to run the original MM and MM2 in Lion and later OS'es
Reply #1 - 19.11.2012 at 20:39:52

Hmm... it seems that VMware has removed the possibility to run older Mac OSes on Fusion - only Mac OS server systems will run.

IP Logged

Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Reply #2 - 20.11.2012 at 00:12:10

Oh well. Thanks for the info though, brell.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #3 - 20.11.2012 at 03:12:29

You're welcome.  I have also been trying Virtualbox (open source) without success so far.

IP Logged

Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Reply #4 - 20.11.2012 at 05:45:44

I have a backup drive with Snow Leopard on one partition, Lion on the other. Whenever I want to play MM and MM2, I switch to Snow Leopard. It's not very convenient, but it beats not being able to play it at all.
Roll Eyes

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #5 - 01.08.2013 at 20:22:58

Finally we have a solution.   I have already tried it and it works!

I use VirtualBox 4.1.20 and I don't know whether this works with newer versions.  Also, there is not a "shared folder" option between a Mac host and a Mac guest in VB (so far), so I found another solution to that.

Please note that VirtualBox is NOT the same as VMware's Fusion!

To do this you have to own Mac OS X Snow Leopard on a DVD.

Here is the tutorial:

http://virtualbox-snow-leopard.blogspot.com

I used Guide 2.  Please note three things:

1. You have to use the Terminal application. If you are not comfortable with that then my advice is not to try this.
2. You have to use a text editor.  If you use, say, TextEdit, the text file "OSX.vbox" will become a TextEdit document and will only open TextEdit but not Virtualbox when you double-click it.  To change that, select the document by clicking it once in Finder, then either select "File - Get info" or press command-I on the keyboard.  In the Info sheet, select the "Open with" drop down menu (where it says "TextEdit") and select "Other".  The Application folder will pop up, now at the bottom select "Enable all applications".  Scroll down to VirtualBox, select it and tick the "Always open with" checkbox.
3. The virtual machine always opens up in verbose mode but not the classic Apple style mode (with Apple logo and spinning wheel).  When you start it the first time it will take a long time before the DVD mounts.  Just be patient.  Also, the system installation takes a lot of time.

And here is how to share folders:

http://www.takwing.idv.hk/tech/virtual/faq/access_shared_folder.html

One more thing:  I have 8 Gb RAM and I am giving 2 Gb's to the virtual machine and it is slow.  So I don't think you should bother with any less RAM.

Discaimer: Please note that this not something that I or Vern came up with and neither of us can be held responsible if someone uses this information to be able to play MM1 original or MM2 or use the builders on a Snow Leopard virtual machine running within Lion or Mountain Lion.  Also please note that if you decide to try this you are at your own and the risk is entirely yours.

« Last Edit: 02.08.2013 at 04:29:12 by brell »  

IP Logged

Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Reply #6 - 01.08.2013 at 21:45:44

Thanks for the great information, brell.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #7 - 10.08.2013 at 21:51:09

If someone wants to use this solution to make mansions for the MM HD version:  Please note that you have to try the mansion out in the MM HD game itself.  It may not be enough to test it in the MM1 builder as the behaviour of MM1 and MM HD is not quite the same in all situations.

IP Logged

josephine
Adventurer

California
Reply #8 - 11.08.2013 at 10:18:17

Good to know brell, thanks! I'm working on a new mansion (announcement coming soon!) but haven't yet figured out converting for HD.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #9 - 11.08.2013 at 19:54:32

You use Rezycle for conversion.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print