Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Problem w/ custom graphics (Read 10376 times)
aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Problem w/ custom graphics
05.01.2007 at 22:47:05

@anybody w/ custom graphics experience:

Thanks to
brell
who hipped me to Rezilla, I am currently experimenting w/ a few custom graphics.

However, I have acountered the following problem:
According to the new guidelines since version 1.0.6. I included the customised (replaced) resources in my mansion's resource map (as opposed to the 'Midnight Mansion Sprites' resource as was the case in earlier versions).
While it worked fine with the first 2 customised resources, all the next ones I did never showed up in the game (or the editor). Sad

Has anyone else experienced this problem / behaviour ?
(Of course, I have given the resources to be replaced the exact same resouce ID as their respective originals.)

Any advice will be gratefully appreciated !!
« Last Edit: 06.01.2007 at 00:04:47 by Freddy »  

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Re: Problem w/ custom graphics
Reply #1 - 07.01.2007 at 19:25:36

Concerning the above problem (which nobody else seems to have encountered ???), I can now explain what it is...but not why Sad

I have realised, the reason why my first 2 custom graphics showed up in the game, and later ones didn't, is because:

- the first two were customised TILES, the later ones were SPRITES; so
- opposed to what Vern wrote in the ReadMe of 1.0.7. concerning custom graphics, it seems NOT to be possible to replace BOTH, tiles and sprites, by putting them in your mansion's resource map. If one wants to replace SPRITES, you still have to put them in the "Midnight Mansion Sprites" file (and later replace that in Game Data).

@Vern:
Are you aware of that problem / bug ??  

So, unfortunately, when I will be offering you my 'Discotheque' in a few weeks, I will have to include a Sprites file (as it was with Mummy's Revenge). Sad

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #2 - 07.01.2007 at 19:39:23

I wonder why you're the only person encountering these problemes?  Huh I did some fooling around with tile replacements with a Ted Theme. I made a picture of Ted sitting right on the gray-skull-brick!  Grin Then I made the background a picture of were Ted lives. It worked perfectly for me, with ResEdit and PhotoShop CS.  Wink

What I did was:
Made a second copy of the Midnight Mansion Sprites.
Opened ResEdit,
Opened Midnight Mansion Sprites,
Opeded the PICT resource,
Found the picture with the grey-skull-brick,
Selected it, Copied, (Short: Click it once, Command + C)
Opened up PhotoShop,
Made a new picture, (Short: Command + N)
Made the size to "Clipboard,"
Pressed ok, then pasted it, (Short: Return, Command + V)
Then I got my Ted picture, copyed it and pasted it onto the grey-skull-brick.

Takes awhile to do but you can get pretty funny stuff there!  Grin

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #3 - 07.01.2007 at 20:34:35

Wingy, that's about the same way I do it.... but that's what I said above:
When you do the replacing in the 'Midnight Mansion Sprites' file, it works.... but since 1.0.6. Vern said it was possible to put the custom graphics into your
mansion's
resource.

However, this method works only with tiles not with sprites.

And when you check TOTOMBS, which was the first mansion with custom graphics after the update to 1.0.6., and which didn't have an extra 'MM Sprites' file (to be put into Game Data)... when you check TOTOMBS you will realize that its author only changed tiles not sprites !!

As I need both, new tiles and new sprites, I'll have to enclose a 'MM Sprites' file with the download, as in earlier versions, I'm afraid.

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #4 - 08.01.2007 at 00:04:08

Hmmm.... I'm confused. Are you just saying that you made the tiles and put them into the file with the same numbers as the origanal tiles?  Huh

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #5 - 08.01.2007 at 01:52:34

That's right.
After I have modified a graphic, say - the red block with the cat on it, I do give it the exact same resID it had before, but include the new resource into my masnion's resource file, NOT the MM sprites file.
Vern has introduced that feature where the game knows automatically that there is an 'updated' (=modified) resource, and replaces the original one in the Sprites file resource, with the new one (in your mansion's resource).

And it works.... but unfortunately it works only with tiles (editor, left side) not with sprites (right side: creatures, doors etc.).

But as I understood Vern#s ReadMe of 1.0.6. it was supposed to work with both, tiles and sprites.   Sad

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #6 - 08.01.2007 at 03:50:05

I read the Readme very carefully when I did it. Even the slightest mistake will screw it all up. Like for example, if you made the name wrong of the new spite fill, like Minight Mansoin Sprites. The "T" is missing. Simple things like that could have occured.  Roll Eyes Try making another copy of the sprites and do it again.  Wink

If you still encouter problemes, tell Vern exacly what you did.  Smiley

IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #7 - 08.01.2007 at 09:25:56

You must be referring to the 1.0.5 release notes:

"Changed Mansion Sprites file so that tiles are self-masking, allowing mansion designers to have complete freedom in creating new custom tile graphics for their mansions."

Notice this says so that "tiles" are self-masking. You still can't do sprites.

I want to add the ability to replace sprite graphics too someday, but that takes work and testing, and adds the possibility for new bugs.

As of right now, you can ONLY replace graphics for tiles.

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #8 - 08.01.2007 at 19:23:04

@Vern:

Thank you very much for clarification, I have misunderstood the portion in the ReadMe to 1.0.6. were both, tiles and sprites, are mentioned. I went back to the ReadMe, and there of course you mention that Sprites are not yet possible. I should have read more carefully.....

That's no real problem, though.
I will have the custom tiles in my mansion's resource, and the custom sprites in an added 'MM Sprites' file (like Mummy's Revenge').

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #9 - 08.02.2007 at 02:19:35

Word of advice here....
If you going to include a Sprites file just put all the modded graphics in there. Don't mix and match, tiles in the mansion, sprites in the rez file. Real easy to get out of sync. Been there done that.

joeb

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print