Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Search for Jack (Read 34049 times)
Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Re: Search for Jack
Reply #40 - 19.03.2007 at 00:19:00

How many rooms have you completed, Joe? I've done ... about 30 rooms of Castle Basano. It's in the perfect shape of a castle, with two towers on each side, and a keep in the middle. It seems that just the castle isn't enough... so I made a underground place to get across the moat.  Smiley I've already build an outline of the castle with bricks, and added the bricks inside the castle, ladders and badguys. Working on backgrounds and other stuff now.

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #41 - 19.03.2007 at 00:27:44

Which one?

JMG - 72 rooms, waiting for 1.08 graphics

SFJ - 126 rooms about half done with custom graphics, waiting for expansion pack/critters. I did finally find a Jill I like, sort of powderpuff with the big hair but Jack like body. Doing the animations will be a little challenge and I'll probably get in some trouble with the idle animation, you know how JAC does the robot, she'll be doing something different.

DOM II - ~60 rooms done on paper - structure about halfway done on those, Matt is still putting the design together

HS2 - ideas on paper

Unnamed Super Maze - 75 rooms, structure is done but won't go any further until the expansion pack because I WILL need the multi-room platforms.

Suggestion Wingy; just about all castles have an underground section with dungeons for enemies of the owners of the castle. That should be good for 20 - 30 rooms.

Joe B

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #42 - 19.03.2007 at 00:37:51

Er... incase you haven't seen the screenshot of the Castle Basano starting room, YOU START IN THE DUNGEON!!  Shocked Wink The dungeon 10 rooms, castles about 20 - 30 rooms. Then after you beat the castle, you find yourself outside the main gate with the draw-bridge closed. So Jack must go underground and under the lava moat to escape! Then still, he must go through the guardtower and over the wall...  Tongue

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #43 - 19.03.2007 at 00:41:16

I'd change the dungeon entrance to an secret underground cave entrance and then ADD a dungeon under the castle. Again it's your mansion but if I was looking to add rooms that's how I'd do it.
FWIW

Joe B

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #44 - 19.03.2007 at 00:53:44

I'm making the mansion, I don't need your opinion. But that would be a good idea... I'll look into it. But you start infront of a open dugeon cell, like Jack just opened it INSIDE the castle's dungeon! I'm pretty sure I'll just add a underground zone under the lava moat...

IP Logged

Amplifyed
Adventurer

Formally known as "Sam
S."

Down the hall on the 3rd right
Reply #45 - 19.03.2007 at 01:02:13

Joe- I'm going to work on the custom graphics for my next mansion, the haunted music house, but... When are you going to realease the 2nd tutorial? I need that to make custom sprites unless there's an easy way to do it...

-Vintage Octopus-

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #46 - 19.03.2007 at 01:05:18

Quote:
I'm making the mansion, I don't need your opinion.

Quote:
It seems that just the castle isn't enough

Wasn't an opinion just a suggestion based on the second comment above about not having enough rooms. And I did say

Quote:
Again it's your mansion

Hmmm, but I did think this was a SFJ thread.

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #47 - 19.03.2007 at 01:10:09

@sam skelton,

What do you need help with? You can PM or email me and I'll do what I can to help you but at this point I hadn't planned on doing another tutorial because I don't know exactly what the new MM is going to look like and why write something that has nothing to do with the new software.

Depending on what you want to do there's a certain level of difficulty so none of it is "easy", but there are some things which are REALLY difficult, like replacing Jack. Even there you can do it the simpler way by just copying the positions of Jack's body and putting another character on top of the same positions or you can do a full reanimate of your own character like I did in Dominator with JAC. And even there I had to use some of the Jack "standard" poses. It really depends on:

1. How far do you want to go with your changes
2. What software tools you have
3. How much time you have
4. Your level of skill and artistic talent

That doesn't mean you can't come up with some outstanding creations if you don't have all of the above. Although I have come up with what I think are some neat things my actual artistic talent is very low. I often don't have enough time to do what I want and as I am finding out there are times when my skills with the tools are lacking. To overcome these things I look at commercial artwork and see what makes it stand out to me. The time issue is addressed by letting Matt do a lot of the mansion content and he's starting to not get frustrated working by himself on the computers. And finally although I do have WAY too much software I have found that getting on forums is a terrific way to find easier, faster and better ways to do things which in the end produces MUCH better results.

I have to be gone for a couple of hours but if you send me something I'll try to get back as soon as I can.
Does that work for you?

joeb

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #48 - 19.03.2007 at 05:17:58

@Sam:
I can tell you this: Making the Ted character was not easy. I had to make my own grid with black lines, and make sure ALL the "teds" in the picture where in the same place. Then they don't move back and forth and up and down abit when Ted is climbing a ladder, or doing push-ups. If its off by a pixel, I'll to go all the way back into ResEdit, get the image, copy it to Color It! 2.3 and change it. It takes awhile, but I think its really worth it.  Wink

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #49 - 19.03.2007 at 23:08:52

Good point Wingy. Keeping characters aligned from frame to frame is VERY important. I might have to get a copy of Color It and see if I can give some pointers with that application. I am VERY Photoshop centric and have used it from PS 1.0 But it is VERY pricey and may be out of the range of a lot of people. I also do a lot of my animation in Toon Boom Studio because they I can overlay multiple images and onion skin them to make sure they align.

Joe B

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print