Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lever base colors (Read 17479 times)
aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Lever base colors
15.04.2007 at 19:48:22

I have to ask a dummy question.... and I'm sure the answer is anywhere in MM's documentation, but I haven't found it.

One thing I NEVER understood:

Why - on earth - are the bases of the levers changing from yellow to green, once you've planted a lever in one of your room designs?

I have never understood the logic behind it..... in other mansions sometimes they're yellow, sometimes they are green.... and I'm sure it means something... but what ??

However, whenever I put one up, it changes from yellow to green, even before I have applied a function to it.... in MindMines, for example, I found it often harmed my visual layout (color scheme)... that's why all the lever bases in MindMines are covered with layer-6 bits.

So what's the secret ?   Cool

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Re: Lever base colors
Reply #1 - 15.04.2007 at 23:26:29

This is actually explained in the tutorial mansion. Levers with yellow bases get reset when you leave the room, while green bases are forever. Though I've not yet placed a lever myself, since there's only one set of placeable sprites I guess the game handles it automatically.

Frankly, I'm glad it does, because that consistency is WONDERFUL for players and it's nice not to have to worry about creating it ourselves.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #2 - 16.04.2007 at 00:23:20

Thanks for explaining that one to me..... !!

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #3 - 16.04.2007 at 08:53:01

Wow, I never knew that! That makes MM even better! Tongue Grin Guess I really should of read those signs back there... but that is usful, if I made a game like MM, (which is out of the question) I would have never thought of something like that!  Shocked

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #4 - 16.04.2007 at 16:30:41

I never saw they were of different colours  Undecided

I should add: even knowing the colours are different I still don't see it <wah>.

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #5 - 16.04.2007 at 21:29:46

The fact that I have always seen it, but never knew what it meant....probably means it isn't really needed. Although now that I know it, maybe it will influence future decisions whether or not to pull a certain lever, or when to do so... but - honestly - I doubt it.  Grin

The main problem I had with it once, was when I changed one of the levers into a custom graphic job (the one I posted in another thread in January).... and after having put it up in a room and playing that room later, I found that my custom graphics lever base was suddenly covered with a standard green lever base (as I had obviously only changed the yellow one, together with the lever image..... and didn't even realise that there must be another PICT of an isolated green base with a different res ID, which I should have changed too !!)  Wink

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #6 - 16.04.2007 at 23:02:02

Toybox - you should make your own base, in a shade that you can distinguish!

Aquamat - I can't imagine playing without it, but maybe it's just because I've always known it and taken it into account. It's not that it affects whether or not to pull a lever - of course I pull all levers unless the mansion gives me a very good reason not to (and even then I often still do Grin). But, it's nice to know without leaving the room whether the lever's action is going to stick or not. I consider this a failing of brick switches, and as a result I've always set them to stick.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #7 - 16.04.2007 at 23:43:20

Do you know what was really annoying? When I made StarCraft, and the button-computer "levers" when I tested, the green lever bases showed up! I was forced to replace green lever sprite with pure white! If anyone does that again, (replacing a lever completly with something different) you should get rid of the green sprite in sprites. Don't delete it, or you can't start MM up. (It will say something is missing, or something along the lines of that) You should just copy the picture over to your painting program, delete all colors and leave white, copy the white with the same size, delete the old pict in the resourcer, and copy in the white. Then it's gone! Smiley

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #8 - 16.04.2007 at 23:45:43

Or, better yet, design a replacement. It's useful, nagdabbit!  Angry Angry

...Cheesy

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #9 - 18.04.2007 at 03:09:49

ryos wrote on 16.04.2007 at 23:02:02:
Toybox - you should make your own base, in a shade that you can distinguish!

A good idea! I could realise some sort of special tiles and sprites for colour-blind  Wink

Actually, as aquaMat pointed out, you can do pretty well without using the information given by lever bases. I am basically trying to stay out of customising MM graphics and stuff actually. Being younger and having more time, I probably would have given it a try though.
« Last Edit: 18.04.2007 at 04:40:28 by Toybox »  

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print