Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Midnight Mansion 1.0.8 Released (Read 21307 times)
YaBB Administrator
YaBB Administrator

I love YaBB!

The Land of YaBB
Midnight Mansion 1.0.8 Released
20.04.2007 at 15:39:19

...and it has lots of great features to make your life as a mansion designer much easier! Check out the complete list of things below:

- Changed respawn after death so that if Jack climbs down into a room below that has very little space at the top, Jack still respawns after dying in that room, not the room above, if he died after walking on solid ground.
- Hopefully fixed a problem where Jack could climb onto a ladder with no floor below it, if he was standing on bricks directly to the ladder's left side.
- Fixed a game crashing bug that would occur if Jack rode a moving platform all the way up to the very top of the screen, and a room was above that.
- Fixed a problem in Knight Mansion Hard where you could get stuck if you used the keys in the wrong order.
- Fixed a problem in Nightmare Mansion Easy/Normal/Hard, Room 17502, where Jack could get stuck by pulling the wrong levers.
- Changed number of secrets in Knight Mansion Hard from 12 to 13.
- Changed number of secrets in Nightmare Mansion Hard from 10 to 11.
- Improved size of tile and sprite areas in the Mansion Builder, so it's easier to see what's in them.
- Made Command-0 through Command-6 set the current layer in the Mansion Builder.
- Fixed dialog box for lantern in Mansion Builder, so it doesn't have an "Is Falling" checkbox anymore.
- Added a great new feature to the editor: "Copy border from adjacent rooms." Use this feature when designing a new room to copy tiles from the borders of nearby rooms, so you know where to put your bricks and ladders so they connect to the rooms nearby properly.
- Added "Mansion Info" option to editor's Special menu, to tell you teh total number of rooms, secrets, and money in your mansion.
- Removed "New Room" menu item. Now "Open Room..." can also create new rooms. Click on an empty location to create a room, or an existing location to open a room.
- Added support for custom sprite replacement. Now you can replace sprite graphics on a per-mansion basis, just as you can do for tiles.
- Signs can now be edited directly from within the level builder! Mansion builders rejoice!
- New editor design that makes it easier to find tiles and sprites on large monitors.
- Beat-the-Mansion screen now shows the mansion's name as set in Mansion Options...
- Added screen to promote the Midnight Mansion Level Design Contest when you quit.
- Added support for custom mansions to come with custom music and background screens. Just put these files in a folder named "MANSION NAME Data" where MANSION NAME is the name of your mansion. Put the folder in the Custom Mansions folder next to your mansion.

-Vern

The Administrator.
IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Re: Midnight Mansion 1.0.8 Released
Reply #1 - 20.04.2007 at 16:40:12

Champagne! Celebration!

Smiley Smiley

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #2 - 20.04.2007 at 17:57:38

What a nice surprise this morning !!

Thanks, Vern !!    Grin Cheesy

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #3 - 20.04.2007 at 18:18:50

Vern
I have an important question:

Now that you made it possible that custom sprites too can be placed within the mansion's res. file, should we "redesign" the existing mansions (that use custom graphics) to have their custom graphics resources contained within.... thus erasing the need to switch additional "Midnight Mansion Sprites" files ???

Are the old ones working at all in 1.0.8., when the old method is used ?

On the other hand... when we change them, what about those people who have not yet upgraded to 1.0.8. ?! They will not be able to use them. So we should either encourage EVERY user to upgrade, or leave the old custom graphics where / as they are.... or:  put 2 versions of each mansion up (1 for 1.0.8 and the existing ones for lower versions).

What do you think ??

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Reply #4 - 20.04.2007 at 19:31:11

Vern, a HUGE thank you for the new release. I'm hoping this will inspire me to get back to work on building a mansion.
I can't wait to try it out.

Cheesy Grin Cool Kiss Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #5 - 20.04.2007 at 19:32:34

Teds looking brighter already!  Cool

Thanks Vern!

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #6 - 20.04.2007 at 21:46:52

Vern,

This is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I've moved ALL Ghosthunter sprites including a couple of critters into the mansion file and it works, no problems. Nice job!

Joe B

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #7 - 20.04.2007 at 23:16:58

The handling of signs is a great relief!  Now I can resume work on The Pirate Invasion, which I postponed because of the storyline, which is mainly told by signs.

And I can see that all bugs I've reported have been fixed  Smiley

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Chippy
Treasure Hunter

Switzerland
Reply #8 - 21.04.2007 at 00:09:24

VERY VERY NICE WORK VERN!!!!

Smiley Cheesy Grin Cool Smiley Smiley

crisscross24  
IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #9 - 21.04.2007 at 02:40:17

aquaMat wrote on 20.04.2007 at 18:18:50:
Vern
I have an important question:

Now that you made it possible that custom sprites too can be placed within the mansion's res. file, should we "redesign" the existing mansions (that use custom graphics) to have their custom graphics resources contained within.... thus erasing the need to switch additional "Midnight Mansion Sprites" files ???

Are the old ones working at all in 1.0.8., when the old method is used ?

On the other hand... when we change them, what about those people who have not yet upgraded to 1.0.8. ?! They will not be able to use them. So we should either encourage EVERY user to upgrade, or leave the old custom graphics where / as they are.... or:  put 2 versions of each mansion up (1 for 1.0.8 and the existing ones for lower versions).

What do you think ??

Yes, I think it would be wise to convert your mansions to the self-contained format if that's possible. On the other hand, if you changed MORE than just the Sprites file (for instance, sounds too), then I"d say leave it alone, since users have to move files anyway. But if you can make your mansion self-contained, so no file-swapping is needed, then I say that's definitely worth doing.

Note that you can also have custom music and background screens come with your mansion in 1.0.8 by putting them in a folder named the same as your mansion, plus " Data", such as "Foggy Forest Mansion Data" and putting this folder in your Custom Mansions folder, next to your mansion. Just continue the music and background screen indexes where they left off in Game Data, so you'd do "Background Music 5.mp3" etc.

The old method will still work in 1.0.8 though.

You're right, that those who haven't upgraded to 1.0.8 wont' be able to play the revised mansions correctly. But, there is NO reason to not upgrade! I mean, it's free, after all. And it fixes bugs, and adds new features. Unless you're on a very slow modem line, and have to call long distance to get on the 'net, I don't see why anyone wouldn't want to upgrade.

I don't think you should do 2 versions of each mansion. Just delete the old version when you do the new one. You might make a note to Freddy, however, that this mansion requires 1.0.8.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print