Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Linear vs Non-Linear (Read 2431 times)
joeb
Adventurer

Linear vs Non-Linear
29.05.2007 at 22:51:12

With the design contest consuming a lot of folks time it seems that one of the issues that continues to pop up is the linear vs non-linear design of mansions. I think I have come up with a nifty idea which I used extensively in Ghosthunter  (posted EXCLUSIVELY thru the contest). I am hoping to hear from others if they feel that GH fits into the non-linear mode of design. Especially from Vern, psychotronic and DaFalcon. If it does then I'm going to post a thread here which might help others to get out of the linear mode using a fairly simple idea. I don't want to speak about it now, not because I don't want anyone to use it, but because I'd rather wait and see if it achieves non-linearity.
(HINT, HINT, enter the contest!!!!)

joeb

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Re: Linear vs Non-Linear
Reply #1 - 30.05.2007 at 12:27:22

That's kind of curious, not a single reply to what I thought would generate some comments....... Oh Well.
More importantly I got an email which verifies that I have finally entered the realm of non-linearity! For me this is a BIG thing. The most important point that has been brought up to me has been the lack of adventure and exploration in my mansions. You need to go here, then here then collect a key for the door that's in your way, etc., etc. The question has been how to break out of that line of thinking and it was Matt who inadvertently brought me to the solution. For those of you who have played Ghosthunter as soon as I type the next word the light bulb should go off.
Mazes.
Take a look at GH and you'll see the hidden maze structure almost immediately. Why is that good? Because if you think about it, when you go to solve a maze you EXPLORE different paths through the maze. Sure, if you're some kind of puzzle solver you'll be able to take the shortest path through the maze BUT you'll miss some of the other paths. Now take that concept and build a mansion on top of it. You have a critical path that allows you to enter in one spot and exit in another. Along that path you put obstacles, difficult situations, doors, electricity. Now you start to scatter the things you need to get thru off on non-critical paths. You hide secrets, gold, shields, keys, whatever on those paths. You can also add sub goals as well. There's a backpack but there's a green door in the path to it. You can totally ignore it but then you don't have the highest score possible. Hide a couple of secrets off the main path and your player may complete the mansion but without 100% secrets.
To develop GH I started off with a maze built by a FREE internet software package (remember Matt) at:
puzzlemaker.school.discovery.com
Using this tool I specified how many cells wide by how many cells high I wanted the grid. I know, BORING, a rectangular maze. AHHhhhh, but what if you generate 3 or 4 mazes and overlay them so the exit of one coincides with the entrance to another! Now you have an irregular shaped maze that although it still looks like a maze it's starting to become something else. Plot your critical path thru. Now start moving walls around to get rid of the mazish (is that a word??) look. Work your critical path and then start on sub tasks/sub paths. Pretty soon you have something that no longer resembles a maze unless you look carefully.
At this point I start working the graphics in and make the structure of each room work by itself and also with surrounding rooms. From this I start looking at the map views to see where I can move or eliminate walls to make it look less and less like a maze.
PHEWWwwwww, long post....
I am not saying this is the ultimate way to layout a mansion but for me it broke me out of the room at a time thought process that always seems to have put me into the linear mode. In the past it always seemed to be start with a room here then make a room over it and then maybe a room to the left then up again and bang, back into the linear path driven mode. Actually Helter Skullter was the first prototype built on a maze but then I expanded GH to multiple offset mazes. Instead of the path driving the design I found I could now look at the maze and say, It would be very cool to make this into an overhanging terrace because it kind of looks like one or this long passage looks like an underground tunnel.
If you're in a designers block mode, try it! You may wind up throwing it away but I can almost guarantee you'll be past the block and whole new ideas will suddenly pop up.

Happy designing and building all!

Joe B

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Re: Linear vs Non-Linear
Reply #2 - 12.06.2007 at 15:53:38

Now I know why it was so easy to get lost in Ghost-Hunta....    Grin Cheesy Wink Grin

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print