Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: What's the Best Section ( in the moment )

« Created by: Chippy on: 02.07.2007 at 03:51:53 »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Section 8 (Read 35228 times)
brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Re: Section 8
Reply #40 - 12.07.2007 at 22:37:14

Toybox wrote on 12.07.2007 at 03:01:02:
I find it personally too Hard to be Normal. Maybe I'm just out of practise, but  ...Shocked All these hidden bits, ladder jumps, squirrel jumps... And this one where you have to jump from one screen to the other, otherwise you fall to your, I mean Jack's doom2 Smiley  When you don't know the way you have to try stuff and jeopardise Jack lives, which shouldn't really be the case in Normal mansions.

Oh, and I found the background a bit disappointing (sorry about that!). Not very Catacombs-like3 maybe? I don't know.

(1) i.e.: I end up killing every last one of them Wink
(2) there I killed two Jacks in a row. Having no memory doesn't help either  Roll Eyes
(3) whatever that means...

I repeat:  There is only ONE ladder jump.  And hidden bits?  Each section is supposed to have some secrets and they are all hinted.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #41 - 12.07.2007 at 22:40:37

Spiak wrote on 12.07.2007 at 09:15:28:
Hi gang.

My biggest gripe was all the back tracking. There were several screens that you had to go two or three forward to get back to something in the room.

Spiak

As far as I can see that is the case with most of Catacomb's sections.

IP Logged

suztours
Explorer

Jerusalem, Israel
Reply #42 - 12.07.2007 at 23:06:35

Without many tours to guide over the past few days, I've played through Catacombs completely once and Section 8 a few times... before the revision and after.

I'm not a great player... normal is my usual "speed" but I like a challenge and a puzzle... and Section 8 is my favorite of all of them... I'm not that much on background - guess I don't really care about the "story", just looking for something to keep my mind and fingers occupied ("idle hands" and all that...).  I think there are plenty of hints and plenty of easy stuff mixed in, so I don't have a complaint - except that I would have liked a few more rooms!

Who's doing Section 9?  Frankly, IMHO, whoever it is will have to really stretch to do better than 8!  But I'm looking forward to it...

Seems like little Jack was lost in some huge mansion, but he's finally found a way out... thanks to Vern, Freddy & Brell!
IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #43 - 13.07.2007 at 06:51:21

Ah zut, I had written a beautiful answer and pressed reset instead of Post. Time to go to bed I think.

To summarise I was saying: ladder jumps are fine for me but unsuspecting players may be put off if they have to do some for the first time, especially from lethal height; and the hidden part I had in mind was one on the right part of the screen with a platform moving up where you have to catch a ladder and leave through upstairs. For some reason I didn't find it but thought you had to go first to the middle part of the room, so I lost a few jacks looking for a hidden way. I'll pay more attention to hints (I'm rather bad at spotting them usually). The vines room finished me off.

On the other hand, every time there's a new section, the first time I play it I lose most (and sometimes all) Jacks; it goes much better the second time. I'm confident Section 8 won't be an exception from this point of view!

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #44 - 13.07.2007 at 20:43:47

Exactly, Toybox !!

The room you described (with the hidden ladder) I could NEVER have mastered without the hints from this thread, and I consider myself a very experienced player !!
(On that platform I lost a zillion lives by trying to jump on "potential invisible floors" that -of course- weren't there.....)

And -as far as I remember- there is another of those secret exits in the room after that (even if somewhat easier...).

BUT: I also must state that - usually - I am a great fan of secret passages etc. in MM, so I love it.... but I also remember very well the storm of complaints I earned for using secret passages in DoD....and DoD was labelled HARD by the way.

So to sum it up: while it's fine with me....and I very much enjoyed section 8, I can see players with "normal" playing skills having a fair amount of trouble mastering that section.  But as I and someone else said earlier: maybe it isn't tragic when the difficulty level rises within Catacombs.....  and also: let's not forget that one charasteristic that made the original 2 levels of Catacombs unique and interesting was the use of little caveats in the walls (that usually had money or other rewards in them), which could only be accessed via little secret passages (sometimes in front of bricks, tricking the eye etc.).

So after all....Brell might be closer to the Catacombs concept as one might assume at first glance !!

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #45 - 13.07.2007 at 21:00:26

Ah, don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining that there are hidden passages; I'm quite keen on layer 6 myself. Only, I find it more than Normal when you can lose Jacks just because you're hidden behind something in the foreground and you don't quite know what to do.

As for the rise in difficulty for Catacombs: in an ever-growing mansion, I don't mind either. If it kept being Normal it might get tedious - besides, that's an astute way to test one player's skills  Wink

I'll play it again tonight, rested and fit. Section 8, here I come  Smiley

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #46 - 14.07.2007 at 00:36:44

aquaMat wrote on 13.07.2007 at 20:43:47:
... The room you described (with the hidden ladder) I could NEVER have mastered without the hints from this thread ...

After playing this section once again I would quote Section 8 as normal. Which also means: as normal as the others. Except the one issue with that hidden ladder. Main problem is the absence of any hint about what to do while Jack is invisible. That indeed feels too tough.

In general I would suggest to keep our Catacombs normal. And maybe later start a Catacombs hard with the XP? What do you think, friends?
« Last Edit: 15.07.2007 at 01:48:46 by Freddy »  

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #47 - 15.07.2007 at 00:56:27

Nope, it still doesn't work for me. There are too many places where Jack has to do stuff (and potentially lethal stuff, too) whilst hidden, and I was a bit disappointed by the background too (it didn't really feel like catacombs, I think, but maybe that's just me). Sorry about that Undecided

And I'm still short of 300 $  Roll Eyes But now I'm scared that I will have to jump behind any hidden place where a mistake would cost me one Jack.

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #48 - 27.07.2007 at 06:03:26

Someone should update the catacombs 8.1 download page. It says at the bottom it has a total of 40.000 dollars atm and its 45.000 I believe.

P.S. Voted in the poll.  Cry None for my section... But I like section one the best!

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #49 - 27.07.2007 at 06:09:11

Actually, Wingy, there are 8 sections now, each with EXACTLY $5000.  And 5 times 8 is ........... ?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print