Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print
News corner (Read 62215 times)
Lara
Explorer

Lewisham, England
Re: Encyclopaedia
Reply #110 - 17.08.2008 at 21:45:30

Lara wrote on 17.08.2008 at 19:42:09:
Category:                      Custom Mansion Area

Board/Forum Level 1:     Custom Mansions

Board/Forum Level 2:     A Curious Observatory
                                    Catacombs
                                    Creepy Cottage
                                    etc...

Topic:                           'A Curious Observatory totally rocks!'

In case I wasn't clear with my terminology I have amended the above. Smiley

WWW Lara  
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #111 - 17.08.2008 at 22:17:09

Lara wrote on 17.08.2008 at 21:45:30:
Lara wrote on 17.08.2008 at 19:42:09:
Category:                      Custom Mansion Area

Board/Forum Level 1:     Custom Mansions

Board/Forum Level 2:     A Curious Observatory
                                    Catacombs
                                    Creepy Cottage
                                    etc...

Topic:                           'A Curious Observatory totally rocks!'

In case I wasn't clear with my terminology I have amended the above. Smiley

Embarrassed Euh ... it is still not clear enough ... for me.
I suppose you do NOT mean that a forum level 2 is a sub-level of level 1. Since that is impossible. So your levels 1 and 2 are two boards which exist side by side in the category 'Custom Mansions Area'. Then, please give me an example of a topic for your forum level 1. Thx.

And what I did suggest was making more categories. Thus, what is now in the ONE category called 'Custom Mansions Area' could in future be in 5 to 10 categories.

Oh ... and something else. Although it will be rather difficult to do it in a neat way, it would feel fine if we shouldn't divide the CMs like A-E, F-K etc., but depending from size and difficultydegree. I can imagine that for a player it would be helpfull if he/she could chose a custom mansion that is according to the playing experience and skills.

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Re: News corner
Reply #112 - 17.08.2008 at 23:33:22

Freddy wrote on 17.08.2008 at 21:19:29:
Smiley At the new boards of the 2 newest custom mansions, as an experiment, you may see an other advantage of one board for each mansion. On top of all topics you will find a sticky that gives you a shortcut to the downloadpage.

I truely believe that this is an improvement. And that is more or less what we need right now. More and better links, so the disadvantage of many boards in a category doesn't feel that bad.

This is definitely an improvement, Freddy !!   Very good !

As for the other approach suggested above, I remember that I once suggested a similar thing....way back when we first had this discussion.

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Catwoman
Explorer

New Jersey, USA
Reply #113 - 17.08.2008 at 23:54:06

As a newbie here, just upgraded to a Lost One, I thought I'd share my opinions and experiences.

I first saw the Forums when I downloaded MM. Then was reminded of it again after I won my first game because I left the checkbox selected to uploaded my score. So when I got to that webpage, once again I saw the link to the Forum. That's when I first started spending time looking around and reading here. Actually, I just went back to the scores page, and it does not have a tab for Forums -- you have to click on one of the other tabs, and then you see the Forums tab.

Maybe a FAQ or "Getting Around" for the MMF website: how to become a member, where to find information, any other questions that may get asked repeatedly

FWIW, I found the Custom Mansions area very quickly.

A suggestion for the area that tells people how to get posting priveledges: add to the text that it may take a few days to get a response. Some people may mistakeningly think it will be only an hour or so. Let them know what timeframe to expect.

"So about the CMs I have one amazingly important question to everybody in the world: guests, newbies etc. Shouldn't it be better that we have a good ENCYCLOPEDIA for our custom mansions (and btw also for our included mansions), than a shortlist of the most recent five????"

YES! YES! YES! I love the idea.

When I first came to the WWF, I found an answer on how to get passed a room in one of the original games that had me stumped. There was a thread for that mansion.

"Oh ... and something else. Although it will be rather difficult to do it in a neat way, it would feel fine if we shouldn't divide the CMs like A-E, F-K etc., but depending from size and difficultydegree. I can imagine that for a player it would be helpfull if he/she could chose a custom mansion that is according to the playing experience and skills."

Again, yes, yes, yes! I love this idea.

I throw myself against walls.
IP Logged

Catwoman
Explorer

New Jersey, USA
Reply #114 - 18.08.2008 at 00:09:13

Just another FYI, I didn't click on the Expansion Pack area for the longest time because I didn't know what that was.

I throw myself against walls.
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #115 - 18.08.2008 at 00:51:43

Catwoman wrote on 17.08.2008 at 23:54:06:
... Maybe a FAQ or "Getting Around" for the MMF website: how to become a member, where to find information, any other questions that may get asked repeatedly. ... A suggestion for the area that tells people how to get posting priveledges: add to the text that it may take a few days to get a response. Some people may mistakeningly think it will be only an hour or so. Let them know what timeframe to expect. ...

Thx for your contribution, Catwoman. Well, right now, that is what brell and I are doing. Making a selection of the issues to anticipate on FAQs. Something like: when you want to know what the difference is between an included mansion and a custom mansion, click HERE. And then you got linked to a post that explains 'everything'.

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #116 - 18.08.2008 at 01:05:53

Catwoman wrote on 17.08.2008 at 23:54:06:
... Oh ... and something else. Although it will be rather difficult to do it in a neat way, it would feel fine if we shouldn't divide the CMs like A-E, F-K etc., but depending from size and difficultydegree. I can imagine that for a player it would be helpfull if he/she could chose a custom mansion that is according to the playing experience and skills. ...

If we should have an encyclopedia, at last, we admins, wouldn't have all that manual work with the very artificial abbreviations-system any more. Deserves a lot of time and energy! Believe me. Roll Eyes

On the other hand, I think that the admins may decide about the size (easy) and the difficulty (hard Wink) of the CMs. It is not that no one may say anything about it (the designers e.g.), but we can't keep on quarreling about each mansion and ... moving boards from one category to an other and back.

IP Logged

Lara
Explorer

Lewisham, England
Reply #117 - 18.08.2008 at 02:11:25

Freddy wrote on 17.08.2008 at 22:17:09:
Embarrassed Euh ... it is still not clear enough ... for me.
I suppose you do NOT mean that a forum level 2 is a sub-level of level 1. Since that is impossible.
That is what I meant, but I didn't understand that that was impossible. I do now. Smiley.

So I agree that splitting the CMs into alphabetical sections would be a good alternative.

Regarding splitting the CMs into difficulty sections - I don't think this will help newbies find CM topics easily. The point is to simplify how people find CMs, therefore an alphabetical system would be the simplest way (in my opinion obviously).

An example:

Category:            Custom Mansion Area

Board/Forum:       Custom Mansions A-D
                         Custom Mansions E-H
                         etc...

In addition:

1. At the top of the board/forum page we could have a disclaimer briefly explaining the system. This could also remind people to only post questions relating to a CM in the relevant alphabetical section.

2. We could also institute a thread title naming convention where any thread created has to begin with the full title of the CM in question. E.g. In 'Custom Mansions A-D' there could be a thread entitled 'A Curious Observatory - I'm stuck at save point five'

Smiley

WWW Lara  
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #118 - 18.08.2008 at 02:32:05

Lara wrote on 18.08.2008 at 02:11:25:
... In 'Custom Mansions A-D' there could be a thread entitled 'A Curious Observatory - I'm stuck at save point five'. ...

How could you be stuck at save point five, since there are only 4 saving points! Grin Grin Grin. Oops! Embarrassed Maybe that is a hint? Undecided

IP Logged

Missy
Treasure Hunter

Toronto, Canada
Reply #119 - 18.08.2008 at 02:42:54

Hi Freddy,

I know I said I give up re:  CM revisions, but I just don't understand why something so easy is creating such a controversy.

ie:  TFT - The Four Tubes has now been bumped to the Talk area....yes?  ok...that is exactly what I mean...now, anyone wanting to post questions and replies, will have to go to Talk, then TFT, click and post. 
So why not just post all the CM names and instructions to only post in there and not to start new posts, when it comes to CM's.......isn't that the easiest to do?

I deleted all my other posts on this since they were of no use, and to make room.

Missy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 
Send Topic Print