Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
Send Topic Print
News corner (Read 62826 times)
brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Re: News corner
Reply #90 - 15.08.2008 at 23:10:00

Missy wrote on 15.08.2008 at 21:46:18:
Hi Brell,

Awwwwww, don't shrink the text.  As it is, I have to wear my glasses to see it.  If you shrink it, I will have to invent a huge magnifine glass to fit over the computer.....hee,hee, hee.  
Seriously, it would be such a pain to change all the settings to make the text lager, just for this one forum.

Thanks for the support  Cool
Text will not be shrinked  Grin

Missy wrote on 15.08.2008 at 21:46:18:
But, I agree, about making the search a lot easier.

What about starting, in Talk, a new Topic for each and every CM.  this way, any NEW DISCUSSION about a particular CM can be posted in that new Topic.  It would be so much easier than starting new Topics asking for help. which are posted all over the Talk Topic.  Forget about the old posts.  We can start it from now on.  

Rather than criticizing the idea.  Lets just try it.  ie:  Palace of Gore, The Wall, Bedlam etc.  By placing the name in the Topic area, and a brief explanation at the top of the Talk area, ie:  Please post all your questions & remarks in the appropriate CM Topic rather than starting a new Topic.

This for sure would cut down on searching and tooo many scattered topic posts re:  CM's.

missy

Missy, if only everyone would do just that:  Using an existing thread instead of starting new one.  It is not necessary to start new threads for this purpose, only that everyone stick to existing threads instead of making new ones.  But I strongly doubt that this will ever happen.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #91 - 16.08.2008 at 02:17:06

Undecided Hmmmm. In a matter of fact I was going to start changing our boards today because I had a day off here in Belgium. But ... with the new interesting posts AND Vern soon making an update of the forum software, I really want to wait.

Please let me first discover what extra's version 2.2.3 give to us. Thx.

IP Logged

Lara
Explorer

Lewisham, England
Reply #92 - 16.08.2008 at 19:38:50

Missy wrote on 15.08.2008 at 23:30:05:
Re: CM's......Well, how about an email blast to all members to notify them of the new strategy and at the top of the Talk forum page, HIGHLIGHT the new strategy with instructions for newbies and slowly but surely, I think that all will work out well.

The instructions could read, something like......ie:  DO NOT START A NEW TOPIC FOR CM.  Look up the CM you are interested in the Topic section (posted in capitols).  Click on the CM your interested in and post your question and answer there in the already existing CM Topic.  Someone will definitely get back to you.

Surprise surprise, I second this. Smiley.

And I'm now viewing the board as below, and I am much happier.  Roll Eyes

WWW Lara  
IP Logged

Lara
Explorer

Lewisham, England
Reply #93 - 16.08.2008 at 19:43:34

Lara wrote on 15.08.2008 at 03:52:08:
Also, do we really need the 'CM Sub-forum' visible to everyone if we can't access it?

Quote:
As far as Freddy and I can see it must be visible.  Otherwise you wouldn't be able to download the mansions.  But we will check once again.

It is quite possible that I am ignorant regarding this, I can understand if this forum has to remain because of technical/coding issues. But thanks for looking into it, I'm just trying to figure out the point of the forum being visible to everyone when we can't use it or access it.

Many thanks. Smiley

WWW Lara  
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #94 - 16.08.2008 at 21:20:16

Well, I am very sure that, with the current software-version, it is impossible to hide a board while given access to that forum for everybody. Cry

But we'll see what changes version 2.2.3 will offer.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #95 - 16.08.2008 at 22:11:12

Lara wrote on 16.08.2008 at 19:43:34:
Also, do we really need the 'CM Sub-forum' visible to everyone if we can't access it?

Quote:
As far as Freddy and I can see it must be visible.  Otherwise you wouldn't be able to download the mansions.  But we will check once again.

It is quite possible that I am ignorant regarding this, I can understand if this forum has to remain because of technical/coding issues. But thanks for looking into it, I'm just trying to figure out the point of the forum being visible to everyone when we can't use it or access it.

Many thanks. Smiley

There still seems to be a misunderstanding here.  You DO have an access to the CM subforum - via the CM board itself.  When you download a CM you go to the CM board and choose whether you want to locate the mansion by author, mansion name or release time.  When you click on the mansion name you are taken to the CM subforum where the actual download takes place.  If we would make the CM subforum invisible you wouldn't be able to download any CM.

Then someone propably wants to ask why we have organised the downloads like this.  There are two reasons:
1. To control that the CM's are truly ready for download, i.e. playable, tested, etc.
2. To provide the download checksum:  If a downloaded mansion does not yield the same checksum as given in the download window, then the download has propably failed, which could lead to a "glitch" in the gameplay.  This can be checked in a Terminal window by the command

openssl sha

with a space after sha.  Then you drag the zipped mansion in the Terminal window and press return.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #96 - 16.08.2008 at 22:14:39

Missy wrote on 16.08.2008 at 22:00:17:
Hi Lara,

Now you have me confused.....lololol.....the pic you took of the "New Board Look", where is it?  I just clicked into the "Home Tab" and the look is still the same old one.

missy

Seen the small minuses in the upper left corner of each category?  Try to click with the mouse on a " - " and see what happens. 

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #97 - 16.08.2008 at 22:28:10

Lara wrote on 16.08.2008 at 19:38:50:
Missy wrote on 15.08.2008 at 23:30:05:
Re: CM's......Well, how about an email blast to all members to notify them of the new strategy and at the top of the Talk forum page, HIGHLIGHT the new strategy with instructions for newbies and slowly but surely, I think that all will work out well.

The instructions could read, something like......ie:  DO NOT START A NEW TOPIC FOR CM.  Look up the CM you are interested in the Topic section (posted in capitols).  Click on the CM your interested in and post your question and answer there in the already existing CM Topic.  Someone will definitely get back to you.

Surprise surprise, I second this. Smiley.

I am not keen on this "one mansion - one thread" strategy.  In the "Talk" board there is a thread with 146(!) posts.  And there are a few threads on the mansions that combined would give even more!

Now, the forum member, who has the patience to read carefully through such long threads to find a possible answer to his question instead of starting a new thread, may exist.  But I doubt it.

And another thing:  What are we going to do if someone starts a new thread instead of adding to an existing one?  Are we goig to delete his question?  Remember that we cannot move his post to another thread.  As an admin, I will NOT participate in such a censorship.

IP Logged

Lara
Explorer

Lewisham, England
Reply #98 - 16.08.2008 at 22:53:58

brell wrote on 16.08.2008 at 22:11:12:
Lara wrote on 16.08.2008 at 19:43:34:

Quote:

There still seems to be a misunderstanding here.  You DO have an access to the CM subforum - via the CM board itself.  When you download a CM you go to the CM board and choose whether you want to locate the mansion by author, mansion name or release time.  When you click on the mansion name you are taken to the CM subforum where the actual download takes place.  If we would make the CM subforum invisible you wouldn't be able to download any CM.

Ah-ha! I understand now! Thanks! Smiley  Grin

WWW Lara  
IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #99 - 16.08.2008 at 23:38:37

Missy wrote on 16.08.2008 at 22:59:44:
Re: your last post....leave the existing posts.  The CM topics are all scattered every where.

By starting a New System, newbies will post there.

No, they won't.  I've been an admin of this forum in more than one and a half year and I was a forum member of the old MM forums.  If a newbie cannot find his answer in a hurry he will post his question in a new thread.  And there is nothing wrong with that.  He has every right to start a new topic.

The old posts are already finished plays and the newbies, like I was & still am, are going to have such a hard time finding their answers that they are just going to start posting the same old questions in a new topic because they couldn't find the answer to their question anyways.
It just perpetuates the same viscous annoying circle of trying to find the answer.

Missy, you are NOT a newbie any more.  In your system the newbies will still have a hard time finding their answers because the threads will be sooooo long with hundreds of posts each thread.  No one will have the patience to look for an answer to his question in these long threads.  Again I am speaking out of experience.

I guarantee you that the New System would definitely stop all this confusion.

You cannot guarantee that.  I know that people will still start new threads if they cannot find their answers in a hurry.  They will NOT find their answers in a hurry in threads that contain hundreds of posts.

Brell, you have to remember to think like a newbie.  Confused and in a HURRY to finish the game and move onto the next one.  No one wants to spend hours looking and reading.......THEY WANT TO PLAY!    Smiley

missy

I do NOT have to think like a newbie.  The newbies have to learn to navigate our forum.  Of course everyone wants to play and everyone wants quick answers to their questions.  But sometimes patience is a virtue.  And furthermore, most gameplaying related questions are in the excellent manuals that come with the game.  People's life would so much easier if they started by reading the manuals.

Once more I will try to make my point:

1. The "one mansion - one thread" strategy will NOT prevent people from starting new threads.

2. Every forum member has the right to start new threads.  While the posts are not offending in any way I will NOT participate in any kind of censorship.

3. The admins are captains of the forum - they have the final word in any decision of forum changes.  Vern has put me and Freddy in charge of the forum. 

4. Freddy started this thread to get some ideas for the news corner at the top of the forum page.  Some of the ideas are good and worth trying while others are not as good and sometimes based on misunderstanding.

5. We, the admins, will update the news corner after Vern has activated the newest version of the forum software.  That way we can see whether the update contains changes that will make our forum easier to use.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13
Send Topic Print