Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Custom Sprites (Read 25811 times)
Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Re: Custom Sprites
Reply #20 - 24.02.2007 at 03:07:23

You said that since the 1.0.4 version you could edit the tiles in such a way. Now in the 1.0.8 version you can do it with the sprites. But how can you do it?  Huh Well anyways... time to go play Hockey... bye. Please answer by the time I'm back!  Smiley

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #21 - 24.02.2007 at 03:34:37

Let me see if I can translate from Wingese. Grin

I think he wants to know how to embed custom graphics in the mansion file rather than a customized version of the Mansion Data files.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #22 - 24.02.2007 at 04:07:08

Thank God for translators......

Make a note of the tile (sprites shortly) number in the main sprites file (Midnight Mansion Sprites) that you want to change
Open up the mansion file
Create a new PICT resource with the number from the sprites resource file.
Paste the modified graphic into the new PICT resource
Save everything

When your mansion file is run in MM it checks FIRST in the mansion file for a matching resource number.
If it's there then it uses the mansion resource, if not it gets the PICT resource from the main sprites file.

@Vern,

correct?

Joe B

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #23 - 24.02.2007 at 04:17:46

AHA.....

And from the BIG document on custom graphics that is currently posted I quote:

"When Midnight Mansion runs a mansion file it creates the room graphics from resources. The mansion file content is slightly different from the Midnight Mansion Sprites file. It contains a list of rooms that contains lists of associated resources and geometries for that room.
When Midnight Mansion is loading a resource it first checks in the mansion file to see if that resource exists in that mansion file. If it does, it uses that resource. If it doesn't find it then it goes to the Midnight Mansion Sprites file and uses the resource from there.
The exceptions to this method are animations and critters, which are always pulled from the Midnight Mansion Sprites file. This tutorial will be covering the static graphics (the objects on the left scrolling picker in the Mansion Editor)
so you will be editing just the mansion file
. "

When 1.08 hits it will look for ALL the GAME graphics (what's on the scrolling icon lists in the editor) so any graphics that have a number that matches what's in the main sprites file will be replaced by what's in the mansion file.

Hope this stands translation

Grin Embarrassed Grin Embarrassed Grin Wink Wink

Joe B

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #24 - 24.02.2007 at 04:27:49

AND before I get emails about locking the software up:

One final point to be aware of is that you can't be working on <the graphics in> a mansion file <with a resource editor> and have it open in either Midnight Mansion or the Mansion Editor. Although this would be VERY helpful the combination of the Mac OS and Midnight Mansion or Mansion Editor doesn't allow a resource file to be opened by two applications at the same time.

Really, read the posted doc....

Joe B

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #25 - 24.02.2007 at 06:37:01

Would it be possible to do the same with the Graphics and sounds exept sound is .snd in ResEdit?  Huh

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #26 - 24.02.2007 at 07:30:40

That's why I asked earlier in the thread:

Just sprites?

For right now we're limited to the tiles/sprites and that's REALLY COOL. Most of the time I spent customizing in Dom was in that area. Besides, sound is a real headache to deal with and the graphics are really for the main identity of Midnight Mansion. I'm VERY happy with the state of MM. There is just a TON you can do with just the tiles AND sprites. Look at TOTOMB, Mummy's Revenge and The Money Pit. The only things modified in them is what Vern just made it easier to change. I think it'll be months before the coolness of these features wears off and for the rest of us who want to push the envelope he did make it a little easier to change things.

Joe B

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #27 - 25.02.2007 at 01:31:03

@Vern:
Will the new feature moving platforms between rooms be in 1.0.8 or the expansion? (Please be in 1.0.8 because I need them to get Ted off his island!)

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #28 - 25.02.2007 at 02:09:01

It will be in the expansion, if I remember it well.

The difference is rather simple. New features are for the expansion, while MM 1.0.8 only correct things.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print