Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Signs (Read 46340 times)
VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Signs
24.02.2007 at 07:43:01

Okay, so I got help on a developer mailing list, and now I'm nearly finished with a beautiful new dialog box for handling signs from within the editor.

Even thought it was several hours of frustrating coding, the result is SOOOO nice to use. Smiley

signs.jpg (160 KB | )
signs.jpg

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Re: Signs
Reply #1 - 24.02.2007 at 07:46:22

Nice work, Vern! Everyone will love it!  Smiley

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #2 - 24.02.2007 at 07:51:10

In one word: superb!

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #3 - 24.02.2007 at 07:55:50

YES!!!!!!

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #4 - 24.02.2007 at 08:04:18

This has been bothering me for awhile so I'm going to ask.

How in the wide world of sports did you get sound into the resources?

Yes, I did it but what a process, which is why the music wasn't better.

1. Create the sound in whatever.
2. Export to wav
3. Try to get consistent levels in Audacity
4. Export to wav
5. Transfer the wav to my old G4 running OS9.2.2
6. Use SoundApp PPC to make a sound suitcase
7. Move it back to my MBP
8. Use Rezilla to get it into Midnight Mansion Sounds

PLEASE tell me if there is an OSX sound application that will create ' snd' resources. I searched for the better part of a week looking and didn't find ONE app that could do it. OR is there a tool in XCODE to do it, kind of like Rez/DeRez.

Thanks,

Joe B

IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #5 - 24.02.2007 at 08:59:29

joeb wrote on 24.02.2007 at 08:04:18:
How in the wide world of sports did you get sound into the resources?

Actually, that's a problem I'll need solved myself soon! Back in the "Old days," with System 7/8/9, you could just open up a SND file, copy its contents, and paste into whatever other resource file you were using. But nowadays, I don't know of any sound programs that create SND files. (Does anyone reading this know of any???) So I'm not sure exactly how I'll get sounds into the resource file for the expansion pack. Might be a problem!

BTW, I just finished signs. They're DONE. And quite nice indeed to be able to create them from within the editor... saves a LOT of time. One thing though: you need to remember to clear the contents of the sign's text FIRST, if you're going to delete that sign from the room. Otherwise, you'll end up with extra unused TEXT resources in your mansion file, which could add up over time. (But otherwise not really cause any problems.)

I'm starting to wonder if I should charge an upgrade fee for the editor, since so many new features are going into the next release. Wink  [JUST KIDDING! Geez!]

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #6 - 24.02.2007 at 12:39:31

FYI. I for one would PAY the fee. Having been around the block a few times now with the graphics, any help with making it easier is worth it.

As far as the sound goes I'll keep looking but the solution I outlined was the only thing that I could come up with. There is another solution and it's kind of  ugly but it does exist totally in OSX. You can use a piece of software called Soundflowerbed. With it you can redirect sound streams between IAC compliant audio programs and I could get sounds/music from Audacity, Soundtrack Pro and Garageband directly into Resorcerer. The issue I ran into was that I had to click the record button in Resorcerer AFTER I started the sound in one of the other apps. It led to some timing issues because the audio stream is being pushed as a pure data stream and you couldn't hear what was going on and kind of had to guess at it.
The other solution I was looking at was maybe writing a plug-in for Rezilla but I have to bury my nose back in the MacOS api's, which may be a little time consuming but since real UNIX sits at the core there may be some things already written that could be leveraged. Don't know but I'll certainly let you know if I find anything. But honestly you may want to think about a new way of doing things, perhaps midi.

Joe B

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #7 - 24.02.2007 at 13:07:22

When you asked that, it tickled a long-buried memory in the back of my brain. We're talking about a program I haven't used since like System 7.5, but I googled and it's still out there: Brian's Sound Tool.

It is still a Classic application, and I don't know if it works under classic since I couldn't be bothered to actually test it. Wink Unfortunately, that doesn't do much for you Intel Mac users.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #8 - 24.02.2007 at 13:10:47

Further googling yields this list (scroll down to the Mac section), which lists several promising-looking leads. Again, I can't be bothered to actually try any of these - sorry. Smiley

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #9 - 24.02.2007 at 16:21:14

ryos,

Perfectly OK. I think I have some old South bloodhound in me. You put me on the scent and I tracked it down.

@Vern,

We have a winner!

SoundHack - FREEWARE

Been playing with it and it does work AND under OSX.

THANKS ryos!

SH893_hqx.zip (410 KB | )

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print