Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Custom Graphics Sets (Read 57893 times)
joeb
Adventurer

Re: Custom Graphics Sets
Reply #20 - 08.04.2007 at 12:50:45

Wingy,
We're talking Phototshop here so let's leave ColorIt out of the discussion, PLEASE! ColorIt may be your tool of choice but anything I've been doing with sam is Photoshop.

Thanks

OK sam,
First, what are trying to work with? Background images need to be saved as jpg, not jpeg.
If you're talking about tiles then to make the background transparent it needs to be 0,255,255 (AQUA).
Also it is IMPORTANT to do one of two things to get ALL the graphics.

1.If you have a multiple layer graphic do a FLATTEN IMAGE from the LAYER menu. Then do a SELECT ALL from the Edit menu. Then do a COPY. Open whatever resource editor you're using and make sure you have a new PICT resource (or the one you want to overwrite) open. Then do a PASTE. What resource editor ARE you using? If you having trouble I'll give you specific instructions.

2. The second way of getting all the graphics is to do a SELECT ALL like above. Then do a COPY MERGED from the Edit menu. Follow thru with the rest of the instructions from 1. above.

Also when you do the SELECT ALL make sure that the entire graphic window has the "marching ants" marquee all the way around it. If you accidently hit an arrow key or another key you might see the selection be somewhere in the middle of the graphic window. NO GOOD! The whole window needs to be selected.
When you're going directly from Photoshop to the resource editor you don't need to worry about ANY formating just that you have the entire graphic AND all layers selected. Hope this helps.

By the way I didn't hear back from you about the hand graphic pointer I did for you. I know it worked on my end but I didn't hear back from you. By the way don't give up!!!! I've already stated that I'd help anyone with their graphics issues. Besides graphics like these are only possible with a LOT of touch up work in another graphics package but a single filter in Photoshop. Keep at it!!!!

Joe B

Jack arriving at the Ghosthunter Train Station

trainstation.jpg (324 KB | )
trainstation.jpg

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #21 - 08.04.2007 at 12:55:27

Yes, I have figured out how to make it actually SNOW. The snow effect on the Ghosthunter castle is a single Alien Skin filter.

Joe B

ghcastlesnow.jpg (341 KB | )
ghcastlesnow.jpg

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #22 - 08.04.2007 at 13:02:58

Whoops.
The mummy graphics are that size because they HAVE TO BE. You can get away with larger graphics on some of the gargyole, angel, hanging pictures, vases and stuff in that area of the resources, BUT the critter sprites MUST be the size they are in the original MM Sprite file otherwise you'll get some VERY interesting but useless graphics. 

Joe B

Hmmmmmmm.......

Hey Vern, future reference. When you load the sprites file (or very soon the mansion file) if you read the size of the PICT resource and then divided by the number of frames for that particular critter you could THEN do critters of any size. Yeah I know, a lot of work. Just something to think on.

jb

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #23 - 08.04.2007 at 13:13:54

Quote:
Yes 1 + 2 = A Lot of words. Only with us is it somewhat different... With us 1 + 2 = 3

And in base 3
1 + 2 = 10

But I was talking about the items numbered 1 and 2 in my response not any numeric calculations.

Cool Cool Cool Cool

Joe B

IP Logged

Amplifyed
Adventurer

Formally known as "Sam
S."

Down the hall on the 3rd right
Reply #24 - 08.04.2007 at 20:22:21

Unfortunately, the han still had some white around it. I'll try this out and see if it helps. Thanks Joe!

-Vintage Octopus-

IP Logged

Amplifyed
Adventurer

Formally known as "Sam
S."

Reply #25 - 08.04.2007 at 20:51:27

I got bad news, good news, bad news, and more good news:

BN: Your teqnique diddn't work.
GN: Somehow, when I was trying things on my own, my sprite suddenly doesn't have a white blur around it!!! Grin Grin Grin Smiley
BN: I need to find out what exactly I did...
GN: Your graphics are really cool Joe!

I'm using rrezilla as a recourcer, and it's gotten me this far so... Grin

Thanks Joe!

-Vintage Octopus-

IP Logged

Amplifyed
Adventurer

Formally known as "Sam
S."

Reply #26 - 08.04.2007 at 21:53:26

well... we'll just have to wait and see. ou two aren't the only ones making custom graphics... Wait until Utah comes out!!!

-Vintage Octopus-

IP Logged

Chippy
Treasure Hunter

Switzerland
Reply #27 - 08.04.2007 at 23:21:06

That is coooool!  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

This background is genuinly the true! Good work!!!   Cool

crisscross24  
IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #28 - 09.04.2007 at 03:52:32

If you want to see more of Ghosthunter check out the topic under talk. (I know it'll never be as good as Ted  Roll Eyes)

I've been thinking on the issues some builders are having with getting graphics into their mansions so I'm going to be changing the way I release my graphic sets. I'm going to put them into an empty mansion so that you folks can either pull them out easily with what ever resource tool you want to use and put them into your mansion or use it as a place to start. Good idea, bad idea??????

Joe B

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #29 - 09.04.2007 at 05:55:39

I feel like I'm going to write a short thing about how to make custom things work.

You must have a good coloring application like Color it!™, Pixen or Photoshop 7.0 or and up. You also need a good resorucer editor, like ResEdit (Classic needed) or Rezilla. (That's for OS X, BTW)

Once you have that, do this to chance Sprites, sounds or graphics:
Duplicate the Data folder.
Name the old one "Data Folder original"
Name the new one "Data Folder"
Open sprites, or sounds, or grpahics with your resourcer.
Go into the resourcer with whichever one you want to edit.

Sounds has sound effects, graphics has graphics for title screen and some for in game, sprites has tiles, coins, keys, winning spot, mostly everything you see in game

In sprites, copy your resource by copying it with Command + C after selecting it. Go into Photoshop or color it or whatever application you use for editing pictures, and do your editing and make sure that you have the sprites on a grid so they don't mess up while in game! After you're done that, copy what you did, (Command + C) and memorize the little number under the picture in the resourcer. Delete it after you got it in your head, and paste the new picture you made. (Command + V) Make sure you do Command + I and rename the pict. with the same I.D. as the old one that you edited. Do this again for each sprite picture. Smiley

For sounds, get your sound effect, or make it, and save it as a .mov file. Rename the .mov sound effect as .snd, then drag it in Quicktime, and press Command + A, (Select all) then copy. (Command + C) In the resourcer, memorize the sound I.D. you want to edit. Delete it, paste your new file, and press Command + I and rename it as the same I.D. as the old one.

For graphics, it's pretty much the same as the sprites.

For backgrounds, draw your background, save it as "background8.jpg" (or .png) (or with a 9, 10 or 11 ect.) and put it in screens folder in game data folder IN the Midnight Mansion folder. Then go into the editor and select it as the background. (Shortcut to get to background select: Command + B)

For music, make it or download it and make sure it's not copyrighted or anything, and make it Background Music 5.mp3. (or with 6, 7 or 8 ect.)

Hopefully this could answer a few questions.
Cheers,
Wingy

Cool

BTW: Good idea, Joeb.

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print