Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print
News corner (Read 62816 times)
Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Re: News corner
Reply #20 - 23.07.2008 at 00:20:01

Surcouf wrote on 22.07.2008 at 05:19:58:
Okay!
Anyway I think what you suggested is a good idea.

What about possible beta-testers?..

If you mean Beta testing castle basano, trigger island ect, then its waaaay to late. That was going on before the contest ended. Now those mansions are done and done and finalized and no more beta-ing is needed. Vern just has to finish putting the rest of the expansion together and the other judges have to make more mansions.

So, until Vern says "Expansion is coming out in two months on the 23rd" for example, then there's going to be no beta-ing between the expansion and forum members. UNLESS- which is probable- Vern will let a few of the senior members of the MM club to beta the finalized version.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Back to subject. I haven't left the MM club because, for a big reason, Freddy gave me a very awesome warm welcome. I submitted my very first mansion, and with that, after Freddy played it (he's been around for ALONG time) he said "Welcome to the Midnight Mansion Custom Mansion club!" and I was like really happy that I was accepted and my work was liked by others. Sorta makes you feel famous for a moment.

Well, like they'd decline me and ban my account or something, we're all too charitable. It is desperately important to cheer on other people's work, say how awesome and why they like it, and give them that feeling like you've done something awesome.

That sorta cheering on makes you build more, continue, experiment and expand your mind getting inspirations everywhere. Eventually, you could win a place in a MM Level Design Contest. Tongue

ANYWAYS, do what you want with that top message thing, but don't forget to give all new comers a WARM welcome, and we'll get more members like me. Tongue

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #21 - 23.07.2008 at 03:07:51

Since I am Freddy Wink, I agree! Smiley

But I realize that, besides welcoming people, directing members to the custom mansions is als important.

I will decide, together with the other admins, about how to reach both targets in the best way.

IP Logged

Missy
Treasure Hunter

Toronto, Canada
Reply #22 - 23.07.2008 at 03:44:20

Hi Brell,
Yes, I did all that before when Vern was kind enough to explain the mechanics of it all.
But, for some reason, LATER, when I downloaded all CM at once, something weird happened and not all games responded to a save retrieval.

Not to worry, give me some time and I will try it all over again.  This time I will keep a diary of the ones that give me trouble.

Missy

Missy

IP Logged

sherryl199
Explorer

Wilmington, NC USA
Reply #23 - 24.07.2008 at 10:45:44

Hi Freddy - this is from Sherryl199 and Eyeballking -

My grandson, Grayson, just had the BEST (and, in my totally prejudiced opinion) brilliant!! great idea - he said to create a beginner mansion for interested players called Info Mansion - with signs that tell you about MM, custom mansions, how to play them, and a link to the MM from the opening screen - Grayson says that the INFO mansion should be free before you buy the game so you can know about it and understand if you want to play it or not. Grayson also says that in the starting room of the Info Mansion there should be sign out of money or coins that says,  "Press return to read the signs".  The first sign just be exactly where Jack starts, and it should say how to walk and jump. The rest of the rooms should focus on one thing like what lava is and how it works or how eyeballs jump and can be caught by the spiders, etc. He says to tell the people about the Mansion Level Builder and how the mansions can be built there. Grayson says that is the place to explain about the included mansions, custom mansions and the tutorial mansion. I think this is just a very good idea. Grayson likes to build mansions a lot and would like a chance to build the Info Mansion. He would love ideas from other mansion builders, and he would like you to know that he has some mansion coming soon. All this and he is 9!

"There are three kinds of people in the world - those who are good at math, and those who are not"

IP Logged

Missy
Treasure Hunter

Toronto, Canada
Reply #24 - 24.07.2008 at 12:07:09

Hi Grayson,   Smiley

I'm a newbie and I think that that is a FABULOUS IDEA!  I sure could have used that kind of Info Mansion about CM's from day one.  

It would definitely wet the appetite of the free player people to buy MM as there is a whole lot more available with MM than with any other games out there.   Smiley  
Smiley
Missy

Missy

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #25 - 24.07.2008 at 16:47:09

That seems like a good idea indeed.

However, we shouldn't give away too much. I'm thinking specifically of eyeballs being eaten by spiders: it looks to me, looking at the Help menu in the game, that this is intended as something the player is meant to discover by himself while playing the game. Or the same for burning Medusa heads with torches, this is hinted but not explicitly stated.

(And I use the "tab" key for the BBB's, but it seems I'm the only one with personalised commands).

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

Missy
Treasure Hunter

Toronto, Canada
Reply #26 - 24.07.2008 at 21:17:58

Hi ToyBox

I agree.  "Less IS More". 

But, Grayson had a GREAT Idea.  Just give enough to.......

"Seriously Wet the Appetite".   

People love to get "More Bang for the Buck."  yes?  no?  Smiley

Missy

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #27 - 24.07.2008 at 23:43:23

The idea of Eyeballking is indeed interesting and to keep in mind. But it is about the 'way' of bringing our message(s) to our customers.

First thing, in my opinion, is the analysis. In what way(s) can we make things better? (But they were already good??! Isn't it? Wink)

Now, suppose you are (rather) new. How do you arrive here, at the Midnight Mansion Forums? The most obvious way is, coming from ActionSoft's Midnight Mansion website.

Okay. In the upper left corner of the MMF homepage the Newbie sees: "Welcome guest. Please login or register." Hmmm. Undecided That doesn't feel good. Guests are clearly supposed to be able to read all information and downloading all custom mansions WITHOUT any need to login or register. (A request from Vern.) I don't know if we, admins, are able to change this text. I'll try to check it out.

Why is a MM-player visting MMF?
1° Downloading custom mansions.
2° Reading of and searching in the posts.
3° Asking questions or making posts in general.
4° Uploading mansions.

Only for point 3° it is necessary to login or register. I know from at least one listed custom mansion of which the designer never was registered! So, even for point 4°, you do not need to login or register.

I think that the currently most important mistake is, that after clicking on the 'Forums'-tab at ActionSoft's MM-site, one is immediately directed to the MMF-site. For the sake of all Newbies there should be 'something' in between.

At least I'am thinking of the major fork between:
a) going to the homepage for MM-players who want to read or post;
b) going straight to the custom mansions.

For that 'missing link' I have a few ideas. About a) here could come all the needed information about registering, posting etc. And b) would feel perfect if there should be a complete list of all custom mansions and clicking on e.g. 'A Curious Observatory' should start the downloading of it. Or should we ask Vern for an extra tab that links to the custom mansions? Undecided

Brings me finally back to the upper left corner of our MMF homepage. If the page between the 'Forums'-tab and our MMF homepage is complete and clear enough, then we may use this free space to inform all guests (including our members) about the attendence of the administrators.

This may be the right moment to appologize me (us) for forgetting to show that info at the current place. Embarrassed Going on holidays is almost always shown, but abscence because of busy-busy-busy or illness has too often forgotten. Guilty as charged. Roll Eyes Wink

At last, and not least, also a word about Eyeballking's idea. Speaking only for myself, I think we must avoid to bring stuff in it, that is already in the Tutorial. So, no objection at all against the idea, but before an Info-mansion got created, we, members, need to know for sure about what to put in it.

Comments please-please-please!

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #28 - 24.07.2008 at 23:51:45

Missy wrote on 22.07.2008 at 21:58:46:
I go to the main menu page, I select "Open Game", a pop up appears "Choose File" and I select the saved game.  Some work, but lately, after downloading the full CM folder, I started to experience this problem.  ...

If I understand you right, you first downloaded 'some' CMs, played them and created some saved game files. And later you downloaded 'all the CMs at once' ???

Now, as mentioned at that place, this downloadpage is absolutely not up to date. Several mansions got upgraded, expanded etc. That could mean that you suddenly were playing older versions of some mansions, with the serious risk of no more working saved game files.

IP Logged

Missy
Treasure Hunter

Toronto, Canada
Reply #29 - 25.07.2008 at 00:02:11

Hi Freddy,
You guys are the experts. And experts forget what it feels like to be completely limited in computer skills.  (I'm learning thanks to all of you). But, when I try and get my Real Estate buddies to try your games, they get all flustered as I did, how do I get going.

I don't have any ideas as I am still green....My only suggestion is to make the changes in the Action Soft section, as you have mentioned, because that's were we green newbies have to start.

I was so frustrated by not being able to get someone to help me on this forum page, that I went back to the Action Soft page and was relieved to see a help contact link.

That is how I got to communicating with Vern, poor guy, until he referred my back to  the forum, where as I told him I can't post directly until I am approved, and no one is getting back to me. It was a visious circle.....well, you know the story. 

So, yes, it has to start at the Action Soft page and remember to think like a "Green Newbie"   lolololol

Missy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13
Send Topic Print