Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Transporters (Read 15975 times)
negative zero
Wanderer

building since 2004

Melbourne,FL
Re: Transporters
Reply #10 - 03.09.2010 at 07:07:19

hmmm I was thinking of a teleporter not too long ago but instead of the door i was thinking of a little sparkly floating mass of energy that can eather teleport you to another energy mass OR as a oneway teleport it would teleport you to the ID you set (not a mass of enegy) and it would teleport you somewhere without the ability to turn back

why do we drive on the parkway and park on the driveway?

IP Logged

Invid
Lost One

Reply #11 - 03.09.2010 at 07:55:31

Why not a catapult? Jack is just flung through the air across a few dozen screens to a new location with no way to get back.

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #12 - 03.09.2010 at 10:51:51

... or you could hop onto a grey bat platform which can take Jack between many rooms with no way back. Wink

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

Invid
Lost One

Reply #13 - 04.09.2010 at 09:10:10

Yes, but unless you can have hidden bat platforms they can't jump off you won't have the same effect Smiley

IP Logged

VernJensen
YaBB Administrator

Los Angeles, CA
Reply #14 - 12.09.2010 at 07:46:58

Sure, teleporters are always possible... I just always question if they would really make the game *better*. It would be SO easy for designers to abuse them, so that it becomes confusing. Imagine lots of teleporters in one room, and a sort of "teleporter maze" set up. I KNOW someone will do this if they can. And it won't be fun to play for most.

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #15 - 12.09.2010 at 08:45:29

VernJensen wrote on 12.09.2010 at 07:46:58:
Sure, teleporters are always possible... I just always question if they would really make the game *better*. It would be SO easy for designers to abuse them, so that it becomes confusing. Imagine lots of teleporters in one room, and a sort of "teleporter maze" set up. I KNOW someone will do this if they can. And it won't be fun to play for most.

Admittedly, I had originally been thinking of having different land masses across the vast game grid, and using them as means of travel (bidirectional) between areas. However, the more I think about it, the more I like using the idea as a way of creating mansions with a little depth to them.

Nearly all elements to the game could potentially be used to excess and be abused. On the other hand, sometimes existing items get used in new and creative ways that you don't expect, and they end up really adding to the game. Case in point: the idea of the friendly helper/goblin. That's one of my favorite new additions and it had it's roots in something that was experimental.

The thing I did with the platforms and the panels might be another... well, it's not quite in same league, but if nothing else I liked that it showed a design possibility that I didn't see used much in the other included mansions. Also, I greatly prefer the approach than seeing moving platforms pile into each other and stack up.

Every new feature introduces a certain amount of risk, I suppose. Perhaps you place a limit to the number of "teleporters/portals" in a single room. I also think requiring them to be bidirectional makes a lot of sense.

IP Logged

Missy
Treasure Hunter

Toronto, Canada
Reply #16 - 27.12.2011 at 11:30:16

Rob Seegel wrote on 23.05.2010 at 04:26:01:
I'd like to see areas (that are something like exits) which could transport Jack to some specified location within the mansion. Something like this could be used to create some pretty challenging new puzzles. These could be one-way or two-way portals.

I like the idea of portals.  And walls & fireplaces that move to reveal a hidden area.

Missy

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print