Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A Jack-stuck, oddity and potential gameplay exploit (Read 14244 times)
Rohful
Lost One

Australia
A Jack-stuck, oddity and potential gameplay exploit
29.08.2010 at 19:45:27

Hi, haven't been here in a long time! I just downloaded the MM 2 demo, and from the first half-hour of what I've played, I've really enjoyed it! The new art style, original soundtrack and creative gameplay elements have really made this feel like a sequel. Smiley

My first problem is that in Mt. Peril (Easy), you can get stuck in room 16500. I came down the moving platform moving into this room, then I activated the switch to the left and quickly left the platform while it moved up. I couldn't go anywhere else from here. If I died in this room, I would restart in it… so, I'm stuck. See the attached screenshot to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

Next, I got a minor bug which I think had to do with minimising the game window into the Dock. From what I remember, the game window was covered in black and moving the cursor inside that area would reveal a square area relative to where the cursor is. I don't know how to reproduce this unfortunately.

Lastly, I don't know if this bug has existed since MM 1. you're able to constantly use a lever switch in midair if you access it from a platform where you can reach the switch. You can jump from the position of the switch or repeatedly use the switch while in mid-air. Maybe in some rare situations this could allow for mansion exploits? I recorded an MM movie file, though it didn't save in the User Movies folder. (a demo limitation?)

MtPerilEasy-Stuck.png (356 KB | 514 )
MtPerilEasy-Stuck.png

IP Logged

Rohful
Lost One

Australia
Re: A Jack-stuck, oddity and potential gameplay exploit
Reply #1 - 01.09.2010 at 20:18:58

Just found another Jack-stuck in the room above - found it by accident. I've made  and attached a little video to show both Jack-stucks described in this post.

Also, recording MM movie files have started to work for me. I think I was just looking in the wrong place for the movie files...

IP Logged

Alan Falcon
Wanderer

Vegas, baby
Reply #2 - 04.09.2010 at 15:29:07

I encountered this Jack Stuck as well.  Thankfully there was a save point not too far before it happened, but it's still a Jack Stuck.  Not sure what the solution would be, except maybe increase the speed of the platform so it is harder to jump off?

-------> Original Designer of 'Falcon Manor', 'Chateau de Medusa'
-------> Now making iPhone games at FalconEmpire.com
IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #3 - 04.09.2010 at 16:07:51

One fix would be to replace these kinds of platforms with bat (in this case, gray) platforms instead, since they reappear if Jack somehow falls/jumps off the platform and they leave the room without him. Any place where jack cannot leave the room any other way and platforms of this type are being used to travel to a different room there is the potential for a Jack stuck.

Room 15701 is another potential jack stuck if Jack doesn't have a blue key and the platform leaves without him.

I believe that suspending the game then returning to it should cause the platform to reappear. Same with using a save area. Unfortunately.. just workarounds until a fix can be made.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #4 - 04.09.2010 at 19:05:27

Or program this type of platforms to also reappear in the room Jack is in.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #5 - 04.09.2010 at 23:39:37

brell wrote on 04.09.2010 at 19:05:27:

True... I wondered why all the platforms didn't get the same treatment in that regard. When Vern said he was modifying them to act that way I thought he meant *all* moving platforms.

IP Logged

Alan Falcon
Wanderer

Vegas, baby
Reply #6 - 05.09.2010 at 02:23:58

Rob Seegel wrote on 04.09.2010 at 16:07:51:
=I believe that suspending the game then returning to it should cause the platform to reappear. Same with using a save area. Unfortunately.. just workarounds until a fix can be made.

I didn't realize that worked...  good to know.  I agree that I think it would be good (and not game breaking) if platforms like this would reappear after a short time once they've completely left the room.

-------> Original Designer of 'Falcon Manor', 'Chateau de Medusa'
-------> Now making iPhone games at FalconEmpire.com
IP Logged

Rohful
Lost One

Australia
Reply #7 - 05.09.2010 at 20:35:35

Quote:

I think this would be a better fix, as the bat platforms remove the need for the switch next to the platform and then you lose part of that 'elevator' feeling of the area. Plus it could potentially solve problems for other mansions in the long run.

IP Logged

Rohful
Lost One

Australia
Reply #8 - 13.10.2010 at 14:24:24

*bump*

Found another JS in Leofani Manor Normal, room 16501. You can get the bat platform to somehow skip the trapdoor at the bottom, and shoot all the way to the top of the room! If you jump off the platform when it is about to enter the next room, you'll unexpectedly just pass the trapdoor. See the attachment.

If you jump to the left, you will get permanently stuck (since you'll restart on what is considered 'safe ground' such as on top of that generator seen in the screenshot)

Also, I sometimes have problems with jumping constantly on fast downwards platforms as well - sometimes I'll die from being considered falling too far when the platform moving downward should catch my downwards momentum.

IP Logged

rose
Treasure Hunter

Sweden
Reply #9 - 14.10.2010 at 01:28:51

I have learnt the hard way to never jump from the mobile bat platforms when they are moving!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print