Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 35
Send Topic Print
MM2 - Brave New World (Read 19873 times)
Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Re: MM2 - Brave New World
Reply #10 - 01.01.2023 at 16:47:34

Which room looks best, 1 or 2? (I prefer the black background because of the contrast.)

Afbeelding_1_006.png (148 KB | 37 )
Afbeelding_1_006.png
Afbeelding_2_006.png (153 KB | 38 )
Afbeelding_2_006.png

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #11 - 02.01.2023 at 19:25:19

Actually, both look good to me.
Room 1 gives the player the feeling that he is inside, in a dark cellar perhaps.
Room 2 gives an outside sunset feeling.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Reply #12 - 02.01.2023 at 20:49:16

I like the second one.  Smiley

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #13 - 08.01.2023 at 16:28:32

As a test I am doing this: I added the outdoor background to the dark rooms. So Jack first have to find the lantern to see them.
Cool

Meanwhile I also did three other things.

First of all I went back to that skeletons room (see added pic) where
brell
found a half Jack-stuck and after my repairs a complete Jack Stuck. Now, after I did 'fix' that as well I figured out that when Jack re-entered the room in the upper right corner there was a new full Jack-stuck. But with my extra changes there were once again serious problems when Jack reappeared in the room on the bottom row.

For that alone there was enough reason to give you a new betatesting edition.

But I did more. Much more. In the whole first area I did a lot of polish work, including music and some art. When you have a look in the new version, please do command+D.

In 16099 the jumps on the conveyor belts are more normal now.
In 16100 the upper left corner changed a little bit.
In 16299 the conveyor belt is a little bit longer and two leverplatforms got changed.
In 16300 I added a safety block in the lower left corner and I changed the flight of the red kites.
In 16298 the lever with the blue knot and the blue key moved a little bit to the right. A silver coin was removed and a gold one added.
Room 15898 is hopefully okay right now. I did gamma tested a lot.
Wink
In 15900 I moved the yellow door to the left what makes the handling of the scorpions easier. The jump from the conveyor belt to the left wasn't difficult, but after a slight change it now looks more obvious now.
In the transit room it's easier to take the two gold coins.

Finally I also started with a second area with a complex idea that yet is not exposed in this betatesting version. But there are some extra rooms to visit. Enclosed is a picture of a room, just to show how important it is to be full awake while building. At the left you see that the lever is above the moneybag. Previously that was the other way round what created a Jack-stuck!
Roll Eyes
The ugly, but solid red blocks are important for the safety of Jack because there are major road works ahead.

Enjoy!

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #14 - 08.01.2023 at 21:12:57

Freddy wrote on 28.12.2022 at 17:15:08:
I am also interested in some other things, because I want to be sure that this way of building is okay to continue.

1. In not dark or secret rooms I limited the money to a $ 100 / room and kept the number of shields low. Do you have the feeling that the game is fair concerning the balance between the risk of death vs. money and shields?
2. Graphics and music are not my priorities right now (maybe later). But the flow is!! I have tried to make a mansion with a lot of curves in it, often leading to multiple visits of a room. I also tried to take care that Jack nearly always has something to do, while avoiding too much danger or backtracking. Did that work out?
3. Is there enough variety in the activities for Jack?

1. Fair, yes. But:
Room #16099:  There is a silver coin in the lower left corner.  To get it you have to release the eyeball, which you then must avoid.  IMO this is a little reward.  May be put a "T" trigger in there which will reveal a rugsack or something on the uppermost floor?
Room #16298:  A gold coin is a small reward for all the jumping.  Perhaps to reveal the blue key with a "T"?

2. Yes.

3. Yes.

I haven't found out where to use the rainbow key.  Perhaps you haven't decided/finished where to use it?
There is a dark secret room which does not have any lantern assigned to it.  Are you going to change that?  It seems necessary to me to be able to get to the room below to stop the zapper beam.

Overall I like how the mansion is expanding and developing.

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #15 - 09.01.2023 at 01:34:47

Thx for your reply with all the input,
brell
. Did you use the zip 003 or zip 004?

1. My bad. Sorry. I indeed forgot to change something for the betatesting-copy on the boards. Find 005 with the fixing. Now you will be able to use the rainbow key and find the exit gate. But in 004 or 005 you are supposed to do 'something blue' first. Did you?

2. So far, for all dark areas there is a lantern. Is the first added image from the room you are talking about? Then it was very important to immediately do something about the double zapper beam to avoid a cheap death in the room below! But there is a way to a lantern (follow the sparkling stars and avoid the absence of stars) ... and a helpful map for further progress.
Tongue  Wink

3. I have a future idea for the first rug sack (in section 3), so I don't like to give it away so early in the mansion. But of course it was my pleasure to do something else to honour Jack's activities. See the second picture (because this change is NOT included in zip 005). I may hope that your Jack did use the ladder (twice) to avoid the left eye ball?

4. Did you find the 'clean' way through in the skeletons room? Thus without spending shields or lives.

Besides room 16099 I also made several changes in 16502 to make that room more normal and fair. And in room 16298 there is an extra gold coin. All these changed rooms are for zip 006 somewhere in future.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #16 - 09.01.2023 at 18:57:46

Freddy wrote on 09.01.2023 at 01:34:47:
Thx for your reply with all the input,
brell
. Did you use the zip 003 or zip 004?

I used 004

1. My bad. Sorry. I indeed forgot to change something for the betatesting-copy on the boards. Find 005 with the fixing. Now you will be able to use the rainbow key and find the exit gate. But in 004 or 005 you are supposed to do 'something blue' first. Did you?

Not sure I know what you mean by "something blue".  But I'm pretty sure I have visited all "visitable" rooms. Found the exit.

2. So far, for all dark areas there is a lantern. Is the first added image from the room you are talking about? Then it was very important to immediately do something about the double zapper beam to avoid a cheap death in the room below! But there is a way to a lantern (follow the sparkling stars and avoid the absence of stars) ... and a helpful map for further progress.
Tongue  Wink

I am talking about room #16498. There seems to be no lantern for that room.  As far as I can tell you need to be able to go from that room to the room below to shut down a zapper beam.

3. I have a future idea for the first rug sack (in section 3), so I don't like to give it away so early in the mansion. But of course it was my pleasure to do something else to honour Jack's activities. See the second picture (because this change is NOT included in zip 005). I may hope that your Jack did use the ladder (twice) to avoid the left eye ball?

I used the ladder, yes, and I also did that in the room below the skeleton room.

4. Did you find the 'clean' way through in the skeletons room? Thus without spending shields or lives.

Yes.

Besides room 16099 I also made several changes in 16502 to make that room more normal and fair. And in room 16298 there is an extra gold coin. All these changed rooms are for zip 006 somewhere in future.

OK.  Waiting for the extra gold coin  Cool

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #17 - 09.01.2023 at 19:21:11

Lunch break at the office.

Something blue = the blue area. I am especially interested in if you did find the hidden key because I need to keep in mind that I prefer to keep the mansion normal in all its ways.

Room 16498. In a previous post I added a picture of room 16698 to show the switch of the zapper beam and the moneybag so that returning is possible. But in room 16498 the easiest way of progress is by using the interval of the zapper beams
to the next room at the right. Hup-hup-hup.
Please let me know if it isn't obvious enough to do that while entering the dark room. Again because of the normal degree.
« Last Edit: 09.01.2023 at 22:15:59 by Freddy »  

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #18 - 12.01.2023 at 13:48:02

Enclosed you will find the promised zip 006 for further testing. For your appetite and to encourage you I added an extra secret in the first area.
Tongue Wink

Right now, my most important questions are:
- is finding the one-coloured hidden key, to be able to reach the exit gate, 'normal' enough?
- Are all the dark rooms fair enough? E.g. in room 16498, should the interval between the zappers be a bit longer? And what about the gaps in room 16101?
Undecided

Perfect play now leads to 100 % secrets. Far too late I realized that the number of secrets has to be added at the mansion info, together with the right name of the mansion.
Embarrassed

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #19 - 14.01.2023 at 22:28:17

Freddy wrote on 09.01.2023 at 19:21:11:
Lunch break at the office.

Something blue = the blue area. I am especially interested in if you did find the hidden key because I need to keep in mind that I prefer to keep the mansion normal in all its ways.

Room 16498. In a previous post I added a picture of room 16698 to show the switch of the zapper beam and the moneybag so that returning is possible. But in room 16498 the easiest way of progress is by using the interval of the zapper beams
to the next room at the right. Hup-hup-hup.
Please let me know if it isn't obvious enough to do that while entering the dark room. Again because of the normal degree.

There is no way to go anywhere from 16498.  At least my Jack cannot find a way.  Didn't find any hidden key in the blue area as I couldn't explore much.  The only way to get to the blue area (as far as I know) is with gold bricks turned on, which then block the way to the left part of the blue area.  I found the exit (again) but no purple key.  I never found an entrance to the room to the right of 16498.

Picture_2_065.png (73 KB | 37 )
Picture_2_065.png

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 35
Send Topic Print