Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Re: Helter Skullter (Read 52595 times)
aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Re: Helter Skullter
07.03.2007 at 20:04:52

Joe, what a nice surprise on a beautifiul spring morning !!!

I immediately played it (haven't finished yet, I always die to soon... Wink) and I'm very impressed... I love it, really....
espoecially those great bits of irritating perspective (tromp d'oeuil, I guess the Frenchmen call that).... and apart from a few layer-issues I think it's very well programmed ans should definitely warrant an official reölease !!

I comment on my time after I beaten it completely !!  Smiley

BTW: Judged by the name...it could be part of The Mansion Family   Grin Cheesy
« Last Edit: 31.08.2008 at 21:28:07 by brell »  

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #1 - 07.03.2007 at 20:12:50

Trompe-l'oeil, it is called. It means trick-the-eye  Smiley

I look forward to playing it!

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #2 - 07.03.2007 at 20:16:51

aquaMat,

Quote:
BTW: Judged by the name...it could be part of The Mansion Family

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

You're right!!! Let me know what you think of the volcano. I forgot to mention that the scenario is that a volcano erupted near on of Jack's summer villa's and he went to check out the damage. I originally had the bricks red and blue, red where they passed over a lava flow or were on top of one but the colors became annoying and DIFFICULT to play with the background of the volcano so I switched to just blue. If you think it warrants it I'll clean it up and do an official release.

Glad you're enjoying it, and great Mansion Family tie in.

YUK, YUK, YUK, YUK............

Joe B

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #3 - 08.03.2007 at 01:47:17

A very "nice" and hard mansion Joe  Grin

One day I might even finish it  Roll Eyes

But after one try I have noticed, as the good saying goes:

After all it is a question of not playing too fast!  Something I will propably never learn...

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #4 - 08.03.2007 at 02:29:37

Yeah. This one really requires you to think before you leap. In the first few rooms, I was just charging right through and kept running headlong into spiders. It's a fun little mansion, though. I like the slow pace. It keeps me thinking about every step, and it makes a fairly small mansion seem larger.

Even with the original graphics and fewer intangible walls, though, I still feel like there's something not solid about it. I kept dying from not knowing exactly which platforms I could walk on. I think that's partly a beta-testing issue, though. A lot of vines and stuff still need tightening up. I got stuck on the bottom part of room 14099 (I think), with a bit near the left blocking my head, and no other way to get back up.

The graphics are a little chaotic, but that's part of the theme, isn't it? There's some nice rooms in there. It's a breath of fresh air after some madhouse maze of platforms and snakes to come into a nice big room full of dripping lava.

Anyway, it feels like a good second draft. Some spit and polish, and it can easily go on the big list.

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #5 - 08.03.2007 at 04:05:36

joeb wrote on 07.03.2007 at 20:16:51:
...Let me know what you think of the volcano...

I wonder where you got a Volcano idea...  Tongue

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #6 - 08.03.2007 at 04:06:12

Quote:
The graphics are a little chaotic, but that's part of the theme, isn't it?

BINGO! Helter Skullter.... Lots of little skulls, some spiders and snakes thrown in for spice. And of course some planning before proceeding.

This was the first mansion that I ever did that was under 25 rooms so it was quite an experiment to see if I could get a lot of adventure into a small space. Second whether I could limit critters (excuse me Wingy, MONSTERS) to just the "S's" and still have a challenging mansion. Third, could I break out of the linear mode of design. Finally, before I release my "real" mansions I usually do a beta test of some sort. There was very little of that with this mansion.

Well, like Meatloaf sang: "Two out of three ain't bad"

Somewhere down the road when this mansion gets the spit and polish treatment Mudville will have it's joy over not whiffing the third strike.

Thanks psychotronic!

Joe B

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #7 - 08.03.2007 at 04:07:55

joeb wrote on 08.03.2007 at 04:06:12:
...BINGO! Helter Skullter.... Lots of little skulls, some spiders and snakes thrown in for spice...

I wonder where you got the Skull idea...  Tongue

Grin

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #8 - 08.03.2007 at 04:18:56

Quote:
I wonder where you got a Volcano idea...

Actually during beta testing of Dominator, someone (ryos or aquaMat I think) said in their notes, "Now THAT'S a volcano!" So I took another look at it because I wasn't happy with it myself and said how do I make it better? The volcano (and actually it's only one of the  outcroppings of the central cone) in HS was the result. Matt has a thing about lava and when he finally saw this mansion he went
"WOW Dad, now that's a volcano, yada, yada, yada, yada...............". But that's the only inspiration I had here. The upcoming M&J jungle mansion "Where be the Key Mon?" goes back to some of the scenes from TOTOMB, but with interesting new critters (MONSTERS). Inspiration is all around us guy.......

Joe B

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #9 - 08.03.2007 at 04:21:50

Quote:
I wonder where you got the Skull idea...

The Mall has an entire "department" with nothing but bone based critters.

Let's not get TOO silly here.......

Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Wink

jb

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print