Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print
Re: Helter Skullter (Read 52828 times)
Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Re: Helter Skullter
Reply #20 - 09.03.2007 at 00:15:36

I had trouble too. Even now I'm not sure I did find out its secret actually. Well, I still manage to go through now (without even losing a Jack)  Cheesy

profile picture 'The Book of Secrets'
(c) Marta Bevacqua http://m0thyyku.deviantart.com/
IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #21 - 09.03.2007 at 01:48:44

joeb wrote on 08.03.2007 at 23:07:29:
brell,

That's cool, if you think HS qualifies. I'd still like to see what issues there are before we move it as it has only had limited testing. I won't do any further modifications other than JS fixes. I really like the difficulty level and don't want to make it easier anywhere. I think it's good where it's at as a hard mansion. What do you, or anyone else for that matter, think?

Joe B

Of course hard mansions qualify for the final list as well as others.  I think you should have one or two beta (or is it gamma at this stage?) testers to check out possible JS and cd (cheap deaths) leftovers and then send it to me or Freddy for the list of complete mansions.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #22 - 09.03.2007 at 03:07:05

I am stuck in 14297. I am downstairs; one lever opens a grey door and the other one does nothing. Then I cannot get up anymore, nor from the room to the right. Am I missing something?

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #23 - 09.03.2007 at 03:48:22

OK all,

Has anyone completed the mansion yet?

If not then I will give the following ambiguous clues:

Seek and ye shall find
the red keys
!

All that glitters is not gold
and all that appears hot may not be
!

HEE HEE HEE

Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

Joe B

IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #24 - 09.03.2007 at 03:55:55

aquaMat wrote on 09.03.2007 at 00:09:27:
Strangely I had figured out this room pretty fast...I don't know if it was luck or instinct, though.  But strange that you, of all people, Psychotronic, had problems with this room....it reminded me so much of your Observatory...with all those layer-6 walls etc.

To be perfectly honest, after playing a lot of other mansions with layer six walls, I probably wouldn't have done the Observatory that way. I don't even enjoy playing through the layer-six part myself now. Temple of the Moon is the only mansion I've seen use the concept really well.

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #25 - 09.03.2007 at 04:18:30

Hmmmmmm.......

Curious, why don't you like playing 6th layer mansions?
The 6th layer at the tower was a last minute thing. I'm not a big fan myself but I'd seen it in a lot of other mansions so I try to include it at least once in my mansions.

Joe B

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #26 - 09.03.2007 at 05:51:53

The lever is better now, but I still cannot go up again. I checked the wall, had a few leaps of faith and climbed inexistent ladders, to no avail Huh

Oh, have you fixed the other Jack-Stuck by the way?

And I agree that the layer 6 part is better now.

IP Logged

Toybox
Treasure Hunter

Kiel, Germany
Reply #27 - 09.03.2007 at 17:20:17

I am not stuck anymore (there was a 4-bricks jumps which was changed in a 3-bricks jump). Your comment is very mysterious: a good teaser to go on and see if I find out what it means!  Cheesy

And here was a nice experience: getting stuck in a room, then suspending the game and restarting it with the modified mansion file - and you can get unstuck! It gives sort of a surreal feel to the game. As if Jack called some friend for help, and the friend arrived and gave him a lift  Smiley

So far it is quite a stunning mansion I'd say. Indeed getting through is a matter of being careful and thinking your steps ahead instead of dashing around, and as Joe said: a lot of punch in a small mansion! Makes it look bigger, and you don't get so frustrated if you lose and you have to start over.

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #28 - 09.03.2007 at 17:56:38

joeb wrote on 09.03.2007 at 04:18:30:
Hmmmmmm.......

Curious, why don't you like playing 6th layer mansions?
The 6th layer at the tower was a last minute thing. I'm not a big fan myself but I'd seen it in a lot of other mansions so I try to include it at least once in my mansions.

Joe B

At least once  ???    Huh
Joe.... as far as I remember your The Money Pit used quite a bit of layer-6 stuff... at least I remember dying a lot of unexpected deaths there, due to craetures behind walls, gaps in the floor covered by walls etc....  but it's still one of my top ten faves !!

Or wasn't that yours ??

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #29 - 09.03.2007 at 19:05:13

I played version 004 now (as far as I got....  Cool).

First of all:  I understand some people didn't like it...but I liked the tower with more layer-6 tiles better.... now it's almost easy  Grin

Now to the problems (some of them might have been reported already):

Room 14298 >14299
Unnecessary sudden death due to height difference (top floor) (unaligned floor in 14299)

Room 14297
Upper right corner:  walking through is NOT possible (from left to right) due to a brick edge...so what's the point of opening the grey door??

Room 14299
Here I'm stuck...with nowhere else to go (except the dark room at the right....which I can't get thru alive)

Room 14098
I suspect there's an error in the middle "floor", where a moving platform is NOT activated by the lever (in the upper right corner)...probably the platform is accidentially marked "moving to start"...I don't know ?!  If it's a "trap", built on purpose....it's bad, as you cannot go back all the way to un-pull the lever !!

The fact that this platform is not working results in not being able to open the grey door in the lower right corner, which results in not being able to pull the lever behind it).

BTW: If this is the part you're hinting at with your Beatles lyrics citation....I'm not sure if this is manageable (getting back to the top I mean).

Also in room 14298:
Danger:  the fact that the platforms go up to the ceiling (with no "ceiling" there) results in the old game-quit bug !!

So....even if I managed (for the first time) to get as far as the section around room 14298 with 10 lives intact (hurrah!!), I had nowhere to go from there....  
And I have to admit, while I believe the first part of Helter Skullter is fantastic, really great....I think at this section it gets a bit "too weird"... the player is left completely in the rain, without knowing what direcxtion he'd be heading and not even a hint where to continue !

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Send Topic Print