Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Ghosthunter (Read 26580 times)
joeb
Adventurer

Re: Ghosthunter
Reply #10 - 30.03.2007 at 12:29:14

Thank you all!!!!

Here's the view at the start of the game. Haven't finished the plants for the trellises yet but  this is the start of Ghosthunter.

Joe B

background8.jpg (36 KB | )
background8.jpg

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #11 - 30.03.2007 at 13:00:46

Whoops. That was the source picture. Here is the actual room. I've modified the graphics to not look so "real". Just about everything in MM is of a cartoony nature so an image like the first one would stick out like a sore thumb.

Joe B

room1.jpg (352 KB | )
room1.jpg

IP Logged

Psychotronic
Explorer

Alaska
Reply #12 - 30.03.2007 at 13:15:26

Nice screen shot, Joe. This is some of your best work yet.

IP Logged

Anthony
YaBB Administrator

Nova Scotia, Canada

Canada
Reply #13 - 30.03.2007 at 19:45:48

Hey,, I was just talking about how you made that 3D model! Wow, I'm down in the program, I only have Bryce 5 and just normal ol' SoundTrack!  Shocked  Cry

But I'm not speding 2000 bucks USD to make a good mansion. I'd just stick with free stuff or stuff my dad and brother bought! Tongue (My dad bought PhotoShop CS, and he's soon going to get CS3, and my brother got SoundTrack and Bryce 5)  Cool

And.... how do you even get up there to the castle? It's just a background! Tongue

I'm not going to use 3D tools. Never was that good at it. I'm sticking at comical stuff! Tongue

Anthony Duchesne ~ Original designer of Castle Basano, Leofani Manor and Jasperlone Mountains
Anthony AnthonyDuch http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=590111070  
IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #14 - 30.03.2007 at 22:11:30

I have to say...that was exactly my problem...which put me off of DAZ-Studio and Bryce a bit... the stuff was simply looking too "real" (and has that typical "hyper-real" computer-generated style so favoured by film-makers and game-creators) ...and it doesn't go too good with MM's more "comic-strip - like" design...!!

Joe seems to be very good at post-processing that stuff though..... I'm losing patience too early and often run out of time while trying to achieve something similar !  Cool Undecided

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #15 - 30.03.2007 at 22:46:57

Quote:
But I'm not speding 2000 bucks USD to make a good mansion. I'd just stick with free stuff

As I mentioned being a former consultant I have access to a lot of stuff but with the exception of Photoshop I got most of the software on the list for 30 bucks or less. A good  way to get software cheap or FREE is to be a tester. Heck it's sort of what we do when we test mansions. Another thing to look for is release deals.

Bryce 6.1 - When the people at DAZ bought Bryce they offered it for $6. Jumped right on that.

DAZ Studio - always free

Hexagon 2 - $1.60 recent DAZ Studio users favorite software promotion

Poser 7 - Renderosity web site had a deal on Poser 6 for FREE. Took a couple of weeks to get it downloaded but then did a $29.95 upgrade to 7

Carrara Pro - Got basics on a DAZ deal for $9.99. Got another upgrade deal for $20

Audacity, Rezilla, Soundflowerbed, SoundHack - FREE

I bought my MacBookPro on eBay. It included Final Cut Express, Soundtrack Pro and a bunch of other stuff. Yes I did pay close to 2K for the the Mac but rather than buy it from Apple I looked on ebay and found one that had a software package with it.

Quote:
Joe seems to be very good at post-processing that stuff though..... I'm losing patience too early and often run out of time while trying to achieve something similar !

Being a Mac network support technician at J. Walter Thompson (Advertising agency - Ford, General Mills, IBM, etc.),  in NY helped me pick up a lot of graphics tricks from "REAL" artists.

For cartoony stuff like the above graphic, castle was created from Shroom Castle, exported into a Bryce mountain scene. Using PS filters first make 2 copied layers, use the Accented Edges filter on the top level, use Dry Brush on the next level down, change the opacity on the top level until you get the effect you want. Do a Copy Merged, paste into a new document, save as your background jpeg. DAZ also has a renderer (software that does the actual drawing) for cartoon images. For content, a lot of it free, you can go to Content Paradise, Renderosity, 3dCommune or the DAZ forums (HUGE!!).
And of course as time permits forum members are more than welcome to ask for help. I do have a little experience in this.

Smiley Smiley Wink Smiley Wink Smiley

Off to work, later all,

Joe B

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #16 - 30.03.2007 at 22:53:10

I agree that the post-processed version looks fantastic.

Man, I kinda miss Bryce. I still have version 3 on my computer, even though it doesn't really work in Classic (the wireframe drawing is way slow). It was a fun hobby throughout high school, but now that I'm (sorta) grow'd up, I don't have the time for it.

Also, I didn't know it was still around, since MetaCreations went belly-up and sold off all their products. I thought sure that Corel would have screwed it up just like they screw up everything else they do. How's version 6?

(Ahh...hobbies. Sometimes they pay the bills (web development for me), but usually, they create the bills. Grin)

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #17 - 31.03.2007 at 00:06:44

Bryce 6 has a lot of new terrain creation options and the sky-lab has been reworked and is very cool but sometimes confusing with Sun/Moon placement. It also tends to blow up when importing big Lightwave objects with textures. They released 6.1 a couple of weeks ago and it was a major improvement on speed on Intel Macs. The base image above has roughly 5M polygons and took about 4 1/2 minutes to render on my MBP. When I got 6.1 the time dropped to about 80 seconds. Since DAZ bought Bryce they have added much tighter integration with DAZ Studio. Animations from DS are supposed to go right into Bryce. Haven't tried it yet so I'll see but overall I'm pretty pleased with software I got for $6.
FYI, same thing with Poser 7. 6 seemed to be pretty slow on my Mac but ran pretty well on the PC. Now 7 screams on the Mac at about the same speed as the PC. They've added a bunch of new figures mainly to support the new hi-res stuff that's coming out of DAZ and a lot of other places.

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #18 - 09.04.2007 at 03:46:59

Well Ghosthunter is progressing rather nicely about 50% there. With the exception of the screens it'll run without a single custom graphic, but with the screens and graphics.......

Here are 2 panels from the editor. The top one is the entrance to Ghost Mountain from the train station (left).

The bottom one is the Ghost village on the back side of Ghost Mountain. I have yet to add money and critters but they'll all be the standards. After I release Ghosthunter I'll be posting the graphics set hopefully in time for the contest. The set will include:

Mud bricks
Moss covered bricks
Stone walls (3 kinds)
Granite, concrete and white marble bricks
Dirt walls
Wood floors
Concrete posts
Wooden steps (ladder)
New lava
Fire rock wall
Grass
Climbable Vines