Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Ghosthunter (Read 26577 times)
rose
Treasure Hunter

Sweden
Re: Ghosthunter
Reply #30 - 13.04.2007 at 18:35:32

HO HO I am here too Joe!!! Want to Beta-test!!

IP Logged

Amplifyed
Adventurer

Formally known as "Sam
S."

Down the hall on the 3rd right
Reply #31 - 14.04.2007 at 05:17:23

did you change any of the sprites for ghosthunter? If so I don't see any yet Huh

-Vintage Octopus-

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #32 - 14.04.2007 at 06:33:01

sam skelton,

Nope. Wanted to wait until I see what's in the expansion pack. If I go into beta with GH before the expansion pack comes out I'll see if there are critters in the expansion pack I want to use then I may go back and change GH a little for them otherwise I'll just change them before I do the real release to the forum.
GH is such a radical change in the way I design I more concerned about the design than I am the graphics. I have a lot around to draw on (pun intended).

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

later dude,

Joe B

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #33 - 14.04.2007 at 08:06:58

Couldn't resist. I REALLY like the way this came out. Hopefully it'll get you all thinking about the weather. I think this'll be the last GH screenshot until it actually gets posted.
Please if you'd like to ask how I did anything just ask.

Enjoy,

Joe B

snow2.jpg (380 KB | )
snow2.jpg

IP Logged

Semi-Native
YaBB Administrator

Orlando, FL  USA
Reply #34 - 14.04.2007 at 20:55:21

Joe, your graphics just keep getting more amazing. Wow.
Shocked Smiley

IP Logged

Amplifyed
Adventurer

Formally known as "Sam
S."

Down the hall on the 3rd right
Reply #35 - 14.04.2007 at 21:46:28

I really like the snow effect and the background bricks to the left. There are a few things I'm having trouble with, getting these little blue splotches out of my custom vine and brick. I may have to send them to you... But  Smiley on the graphics

-Vintage Octopus-

IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #36 - 14.04.2007 at 22:49:07

@sam skelton,

Sure sam, just send them over and I'll take a look.

@Semi-Native,

Thanks. This brick set will be up in a few weeks. Snow and all. A technique I'm working on is to create the bricks first and then use them in the background graphics (screens). Take a look at the lava screen. Same thing. I think it just makes everything work together to create an environment.

This is my opinion but I think that limiting Jack to just run around in a mansion or castle doesn't add the feel of adventure to the game that can exist. Not knowing what's around the corner (as long as it's not a cheap death) adds to the thrill of MM. We can go out and "paint" whole new worlds to explore, challenge and enjoy. Instead of just painting still lifes we can be surrealists, or impressionists, or pointillists (my apologies to the well schooled in art forum members out there if I got the names wrong). And as in art there will be those who really appreciate one particular form over another. The more mansions I build the more ideas I have for new mansions. What slows me down is having to create the graphics behind them.
And that is why I offer up so many screenshots. There is a very exciting contest coming up and if you have the tubes of paint (custom graphics/screens/new software to support them) you're only limited by your mind.
Hopefully these images stir up ideas in everyone. As an FYI Ghosthunter was inspired by an old war movie called Where Eagles Dare. Good inspiration is all around us!

Enjoy,

Joe B

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #37 - 15.04.2007 at 04:57:07

Joe,
I'm mightily impressed:  how did you make that fog happenin' ??!!   Or is it part of the background picture ??

(On this screenshot it gives the impression as if Jack could actually walk THRU the fog !!!)

Very good..... !!

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

joeb
Adventurer

Reply #38 - 15.04.2007 at 07:09:14

The fog is in the image. Because the snow is white (almost: 254,254,254) it fools the eye into thinking the fog is an extension of it. I used 3 Alien Skin Nature filters. Smoke, Snow and Clouds. The background image is one of the earlier mountain screens flipped. Then I used the PS clone tool to duplicate the highest peak at a lower level. I then did some touch up with gaussian blur to blend the cloned area. Then I sharpened the edges a little for the Snow filter. Applied the snow filter and had it create the snow in a layer above. I hid the snow layer and used the magnetic polygon selection tool to select sky area above the mountain tops. I used the clouds filter to create another layer with just clouds. Hid that layer. Inverted the select to select the mountains. Used the smoke filter to create the fog. Then I removed parts of the filter layers and played with their opacity and positioning to get the blend to look right. When I liked the way it looked I did a select  all and copy merged. I pasted that into a new PS document and saved it as background15.jpg.

Simple!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

What's cool is that EVERY background for GH was created from the same Bryce document that has the shroom castle (Ghost King's castle) on one side. By moving the camera around the mountain I get absolutely accurate lighting and consistent views. Then I post process in PS to get the effects like the snow and the lava. Here is the snow scene.

Joe B

background15.jpg (324 KB | )
background15.jpg

IP Logged

rose
Treasure Hunter

Sweden
Reply #39 - 15.04.2007 at 16:08:43

If Jack is walking in the snow he need warmer  clothes!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print