Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print
SCREAM PARK - joint effort deadly mansion (Read 41987 times)
aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Re: SCREAM PARK - joint effort deadly mansion
Reply #20 - 17.10.2007 at 08:20:31

ryos wrote on 17.10.2007 at 07:27:32:
...Or, maybe the whole concept is unsalvageable and just shouldn't be used. I'd like to hear more opinions on this.

What do you mean by this? The whole concept of Scream Park....or the whole concept of the "fall trick" ???
(Whatever you meant, I feel both can work very well, if done properly.)

ryos wrote on 17.10.2007 at 07:27:32:
Oh, and also, I could redo the sign text, which I wrote in a hurry and am not all that happy with.

That's a good idea, too !!  (I was a bit confused by that "Daaaah" bit, I feel we should stick to the name Scream Park. Just keep in mind, that somewhere in your first couple rooms, you should build / include the very "entrance" to the Scream Park.

Continuing your beautiful idea of the multicolored-light bulbs floor (which really has the perfect 70s fairground look!) I  have built in my first room (to the right of your last room) a little "ticket box" where Jack can buy his ticket for the first ride. That ride I still have to build, though.

I really like the whole Scream Park concept very much. It's only a shame that we can't use Exp.Pack platforms yet, with them we might be able to even build a roller coaster !!!   Wink

Why is a carrot more orange than an orange ?
IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #21 - 17.10.2007 at 08:32:12

Quote:
Lbh pbhyq fgvyy yrg gur snyy vgfrys unccra fhqqrayl, nf n fhecevfr....r.t. ol chggvat n uvqqra ubyr va gur sybbe haqre Wnpx'f srrg (ng gur raq bs gur vagebqhpgbel ebbz(f)), juvpu yrg'f uvz irel noehcgyl snyy qbja!  Be vf gurer n ernfba jul vg jbhyqa'g jbex gura ?

It would lose some of its impact. You know, the "OMG WHAT IS GOING ON!?" factor. Smiley I'm also not sure how I would integrate the jumping as an essential mechanism. I'd have to play with it, but I don't have much time to right now; I'm working against a couple of different deadlines in my non-hobby pursuits...

Why don't you build off of what I have, and then when you're done, I'll take a turn and polish up the beginning, and maybe add a ride or two? Hopefully I'll have more time then. I'm really not happy with the visuals thus far - I was hoping for a sort of "horror carnival" atmosphere but didn't have time to achieve it.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #22 - 17.10.2007 at 08:41:37

I meant the fall gimmick, not the park as a whole. The more I think about it, the more I come around to the need for introductory rooms. Oh well. Maybe I can come up with another concept weird enough to let me start Jack in midair. Cheesy

BTW, in case you were wondering, I split the "money room" into two in an attempt to avoid sending Jack to the Moon, but it does leave the second room a little bare and useless-feeling. Feel free to use it for something if you'd like.

"Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking.  (Hint: this is impossible)" -Randall Munroe

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #23 - 17.10.2007 at 17:51:24

Alright.... good idea, that's the way we do it.
I'll add a couple of rooms after your last one and then I'll send the original baclk to you (best via mail) so you can have another go at the beginning !

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #24 - 19.10.2007 at 19:28:21

Ryos,
attached you find the latest SCREAM PARK, with my rooms added. I feel this should be the last time we hand the file over in this thread. We should rather use private mail from now on.

About my design:  I got a little carried away....and did 7 new rooms  Cool  plus added a few details to your last room.
Please tell me what you think....if it's bloody enough etc.
And please add to & change your beginning as you wish......I'm looking forward to it !

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #25 - 22.10.2007 at 13:57:20

I sent the following in an email to aquamat in which I had attached the updated SP. I post it here as well in the hopes that future builders might find it helpful.

Quote:
I found your rides to be generally amusing, if tedious at times. For example, in the room with all the snakes, you have to kill most or all of the large number of snakes in order to pass. This got old fast for me. The platform floor works very well (I laughed out loud the first time I turned it on), and I think that if you just reduce the number of snakes you'll have a winner on your hands.

The same applies to the spider room, only more so, since it takes more time to kill a spider! I thought it was more tedious than amusing. I think part of that is that it became boring to watch Jack die in the same way over and over. We can throw in a simple death gag here and there, and that ought to remain funny, but I think the focus should be more on letting the player determine by trial and error how to get through our zany traps. There should be lots of routes that end in Jack's demise before the true way forward becomes apparent. It should feel like a puzzle - an extremely dangerous puzzle - in which Jack dies in many different ways.

Or, at least, that's how I felt while playing it. Smiley

Oh, and the random conveyor belts were genius. Good job!

EDIT: change "scorpion" to "snake"...as I should have written in the first place!
« Last Edit: 23.10.2007 at 00:00:49 by ryos »  

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #26 - 22.10.2007 at 22:28:34

BTW, new section builders STEP FORWARD !!

We need more volunteers for Scream Park, so far only SamSkelton and Mikee have shown interest.... what about YOU ??

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #27 - 07.11.2007 at 04:13:54

Ryos,
in case you're wondering why I didn't get back to you with my update of ScreamPark:

I was very busy at work in the last 10 days, so I couldn't build. However, yesterday I finally started to "repair" my section and I'm ready soon.

BTW, until now NO OTHER volunteers have come forward for Scream Park, which I find very sad.
If it stays like this, we could:

a)  Make the mansion just between the two of us (plus maybe the 1-2 other volunteers who showed interest)
b) wait for more volunteers (??)
c) bury the project   Shocked

The last point is not an option, if you ask me... as I find the idea still very good and the beginning was very strong.

What do you think ??

IP Logged

ryos
Explorer

Colorado, USA

Utah, USA
Reply #28 - 07.11.2007 at 14:47:33

Let's do it. We're both busy, but as long as we're both patient with each other it should be fun. Maybe more people will be inspired by the idea when they get to play what we've done. I think the "moving ending" model that has worked so well for Catacombs would work well here as well.

IP Logged

aquaMat
Expedition Leader

Berlin, Germany
Reply #29 - 08.11.2007 at 02:56:00

ryos wrote on 07.11.2007 at 14:47:33:
I think the "moving ending" model that has worked so well for Catacombs would work well here as well.

Absolutely !!  Good idea......

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 ... 8
Send Topic Print