Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Poll closed Poll
Question: Wish you a new Mansion Builder up to 10.7 ?
*** This poll has now closed ***

Absolutely nessecary!    
  8 (80.0%)
Perhaps ... But welcome    
  2 (20.0%)
Not really, but ok!    
  0 (0.0%)
No need of this crap!    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 10
« Created by: gonzo on: 11.04.2012 at 04:21:12 »

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print
At last! Discotheque Of Doom ins running for me... (Read 79397 times)
Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Re: At last! Discotheque Of Doom ins running for me...
Reply #30 - 30.04.2012 at 13:04:52

aquamat -

You know, aside from all the levers, I think many of your mansions could probably be fixed without too much effort. I just looked through a bunch of them, and many of the custom graphics you use are reused from mansion to mansion, and most of these are just slightly recolored versions of the original graphics. Some look like images you got from somewhere else, and added to a frame. If you knew where to find the originals, you could probably reuse them, only with a better resolution. Here's some that I looked at:

The level of difficulty I'd assign to fixing each mansion is in parentheses near each mansion name.

Underground Fortress - (Minor changes) Levers don't work; signs are fine; no custom graphics. I need to find my scripts. I have one that could lift the levers up a few pixels (configurable), and report the room numbers so the changes could be verified. My recommendation would be to initially move the levers up and re-release it for HD. Then at a later time, take a look at modifying the new lever graphics to look the way you wish. It shouldn't be too bad.

Les Catacombs Rouges - (Minor changes) 1 custom graphic that looks it was derived from other bricks in original game. Similar sort of construction be done from new graphics. This custom graphic is also used in several other mansions as well. So fixing it here simplifies others a little bit. The description should be moved from resource fork using Rezilla so that it doesn't need to be fixed each time the fork is unpacked using Rezycle.

Perpetuum Mobile - (Minor/Medium changes) Signs are fine; four custom graphics. 1 is a dupe from Les Catacombs Rouges (easy to replace), if you can get the original images for 00863, and 00875 they should be easy to replace. The last one - 00251 will need to be redone completely.

The Birdcage - (Minor/Medium - depending on how many images were already converted for other mansions) 5 custom images; 00128, 00130, 00131 (Jack colored differently) looks like the same images found in Discotheque of Doom; these should be redone using the new graphics as a base. It looks like they were just recolored anyway. Probably not too hard. 00706 was the same as in Les Catacombs Rouges and Perpetuum Mobile (looks easy to replace). 00707 doesn't look too difficult either.

The Complex - - (Medium) Text is fine; 6 custom images. Jack is Green Blue (00128, 00130, 00131) These will have to be redone using new graphics as base. 00707 same from other mansions; 00221 and 01014 look easy to redo. Remove descriptions

The Four Tubes - (Medium/Hard); Text is fine; 10 custom images; No repeats I think.

The Void -  (Minor/Med) Text is fine; 2 custom images (00701, 00707) - both dupes from the Complex & other mansions; removed descriptions

I'm trying to locate the scripts I wrote several months ago. Some of these would be very helpful in finding all the problematic levers and/or fixing them. Many of the ones I listed here may have lever problems. I think most of your custom images will be far easier that some of the ones I've seen for other mansions.
« Last Edit: 30.04.2012 at 21:04:45 by Rob Seegel »  

IP Logged

josephine
Adventurer

California
Reply #31 - 30.04.2012 at 16:00:29

@ SandyBean:

omgPUPPIES!!!  Kiss (x11)

And I like Immortal Ruins- it's a nice size (not too big or small) with a good balance of exploring vs puzzles.

@ aquamat:

Here's an idea- how about modifying your unfinished rooms/mansions and adding them to Catacombs? Lots of people are still replaying MM1 (me included!) Kickstarting Catacombs (or Catacombs in MM2) may encourage builders to add their unfinished mansions too.

IP Logged

gonzo
Lost One

I love the Midnight Mansion
game and all members

Bielefeld, Germany
Reply #32 - 01.05.2012 at 02:05:31

WOW to @ALL!!!  Cheesy

I'm very happy and impressed about the NEW and really constructive discussion about converting the custom mansions.
This is --- since a very long time --- the first discussion which is fun AND interesting and make me believe that the community isn't fall into a mummy sleep Wink

And like me - I know this very well - everyone of you have many other things to do and even therefore I'm very impressed about your engagement!!!

I'm not a diligent writer here, but I'm playing this "BEST GAME EVER" (for me ...!!!) since several years and I read all the posts here and follow all of the discussions very closely.

But ...  YES! ... I'm an outsider. I never designed such a wonderful mansions like DoD and all of the other wonderful mansions of all the other designers --> YOU!!!

I pull my hat down and bow to all of you wonderful creative designers of the MM Game.

Thanks to You for all the wonderful work, fun, creativity and engagement!!

Thanks to all of You!

Gonzo

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #33 - 01.05.2012 at 02:47:25

Regarding Immortal Ruins, what room(s) do you start seeing the custom backgrounds? I "unpacked" the mansion using Rezycle, and was able to play a good chunk of it. I kept the Data directory next to the unpacked mansion directory to see if the game would find the custom backgrounds. I wasn't sure if there was an easy to get to room that used one of the custom backgrounds so I could test it.

Otherwise, it *is* playable. It could be that it works fine, I don't know for sure. I did spot a graphical glitch on there that I don't think is mansion related - I think it's game related, that I'm going to report to Vern. It wasn't anything major, and didn't prevent the game from being played.

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #34 - 01.05.2012 at 10:00:57

Quote:
In German we have a slang word for that: verschlimmbessern.

I really love this - that there's a word for it. My wife will say "It's New and Improved," or "Look, they *improved* it, how nice.." extremely sarcastically, sometimes while rolling her eyes, and it communicates exactly the same feeling.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #35 - 01.05.2012 at 17:40:08

Rob Seegel wrote on 01.05.2012 at 02:47:25:
Regarding Immortal Ruins, what room(s) do you start seeing the custom backgrounds? I "unpacked" the mansion using Rezycle, and was able to play a good chunk of it. I kept the Data directory next to the unpacked mansion directory to see if the game would find the custom backgrounds. I wasn't sure if there was an easy to get to room that used one of the custom backgrounds so I could test it.

Otherwise, it *is* playable. It could be that it works fine, I don't know for sure. I did spot a graphical glitch on there that I don't think is mansion related - I think it's game related, that I'm going to report to Vern. It wasn't anything major, and didn't prevent the game from being played.

Perhaps we should convert and upload those CM's that are playable despite of the not converted custom graphics?

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

rose
Treasure Hunter

Sweden
Reply #36 - 01.05.2012 at 19:09:35

That would be great! I am missing aguamats mansions!!!!

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #37 - 01.05.2012 at 21:12:17

rose wrote on 01.05.2012 at 19:09:35:
That would be great! I am missing aguamats mansions!!!!

I did a few tests and custom backgrounds don't work. I probably knew that but forgot. Still, I think for some mansions this will only have a small impact. It won't impact many of aquamat's since most don't use custom backgrounds. Whether it greatly impacts Immortal Ruins is up to SandyBean. Otherwise, I'd be up for uploading it, because it plays mostly fine without the various backgrounds. As I mentioned before - I did notice another graphical glitch in other rooms, but it didn't cause the game to crash or make it unplayable.

With aquamat's, it's kind of a mixed bag. All the mansions where the levers have been submerged so that the base is no longer visible are now unplayable. In some of those mansions there are a *lot* of levers. I am still looking for my set of scripts. I thought I had one which would identify all these cases and optionally fix them. So these shouldn't be converted without at least that change.

The mansions where there is only one or two custom graphics, seems to me like maybe it wouldn't be too bad without them in order to get another playable mansion out there. Aquamat may feel differently. As I said, for mansions where it is just one or two graphics, it's probably fine depending on which images they are. For other mansions where there are 5 or more, I think the changes start to drastically impact the look and feel, but still if the mansion designer is Ok with it - at least temporarily, then why not?

With the remaining mansions, we should at least try to contact the designers first. I'm fairly certain that Anthony would *not* wish his mansions to be modified by anyone else - especially the ones that use extensive custom graphics. Some of these would be completely ruined without the custom graphics, IMO.

IP Logged

Rob Seegel
YaBB Administrator

Baltimore, MD
Reply #38 - 02.05.2012 at 15:27:19

rose wrote on 29.04.2012 at 15:12:55:
Rob Seegel wrote on 29.04.2012 at 14:19:46:
rose wrote on 29.04.2012 at 13:38:53:
You can convert pict files in Preview to png!!! Though I don't think you can batch convert.

You know, I *thought* you could do this, but when I tried it only allowed me to export as .pdf. Perhaps this changed in Lion? I had to look for other alternatives.

No, I don't have Lion and will not buy Lion either. You have to use the Save as, where you can choose the format. How you do in Lion I don't know. It is probably File > Duplicate, File > save as???

I don't believe that it can be done with Preview in Lion. I tried using my other laptop with Snow Leopard and PNG is also not an option. There are some other formats though (more than Lion). Fortunately, I don't need to rely on Preview for conversion.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #39 - 02.05.2012 at 18:45:34

Rob Seegel wrote on 01.05.2012 at 21:12:17:
With the remaining mansions, we should at least try to contact the designers first. I'm fairly certain that Anthony would *not* wish his mansions to be modified by anyone else - especially the ones that use extensive custom graphics. Some of these would be completely ruined without the custom graphics, IMO.

Neither would JoeB

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11
Send Topic Print