Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 37
Send Topic Print
MM2 - Brave New World (Read 21794 times)
brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Re: MM2 - Brave New World
Reply #70 - 21.02.2023 at 21:50:32

First of all:  This version opened my saves correctly.

Remarks:

16503 Jack can use his rainbow key in this room - will it lead to complications later?

16703 Jack can change from gold to silver here - will it lead to complications later?  Also, later, when Jack arrives this room from the bottom he can, instead of going to the room to the right, change course and change the blocks.

16904 Jack can use his rainbow key in this room - will it lead to complications later?

17300 Is Jack supposed to be able to jump from the conveyor belt all the way to the right?  Because my Jack surely cannot.  A bit too tempting suicide jump IMO.

17100 Jack can turn some moving platforms but if he leaves the room and returns they have stopped. A neat but rather difficult route from the uppermost golden bricks to the gold brick just above the short ladder via the moving platform.

17301 What happens if Jack jumps from the short ladder without a blue (or rainbow) key?

16503 Possible JS if Jack goes down to the lowest left with the grey door closed. Overall difficulty of this room perhaps too much?  The secret exit is nice.

Finished with 100% secrets but only €  Wink 15900

Maybe I'll try using the rainbow key on other doors later and see what happens.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #71 - 22.02.2023 at 00:24:44

brell wrote on 21.02.2023 at 21:50:32:
16703 Jack can change from gold to silver here - will it lead to complications later?

May I reformulate your question: are there complications when changing blocks to silver without immediate continuing to the room above and using the rainbow key? I don't think/hope so.
This is what I am going to do. In TZ1 I previously used the left saving point after the purple area (mark = $ 3.000) and the right saving point as second after full cleaning TZ1 and without entering any blue room. I will restart from that 2nd save, go first of all to room 16703 where I only change the blocks into silver. Then I will leave TZ1 at the bottom left of the middle save (to open the blue door in room 17101).
Future will tell what is going to happen.
Undecided

Meanwhile I will try to find answers on your questions. And ideas to fix mistakes!  Smiley

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #72 - 22.02.2023 at 01:34:02

My Jack went from save 2 to 16703 (changing gold to silver), to 17101 (to get a yellow key), to 16903 (to collect a purple key), to 17099 (to find a red key) and back to 16703 with smooth continuing play by opening the red door in 16503.

16503 Jack can use his rainbow key in this room - will it lead to complications later?

It is not supposed to be. In contrary. The rainbow key is supposed to be fitting on all possible doors that Jack encounters while still be able to visit all rooms and to get all prices.

16703 Also, later, when Jack arrives this room from the bottom he can, instead of going to the room to the right, change course and change the blocks.

I clearly missed the fact that Jack is able to do easy jumps/falls to the bottom floor and then pull the only lever in the room. In all cases (gold or silver blocks AND without or with any key) the only consequence is that Jack can't immediately go back to the middle floor and has to leave the room at the left. Going back to the middle floor to continue through the grey door is a small detour in TZ1.

16904 Jack can use his rainbow key in this room - will it lead to complications later?

No.

17300 Is Jack supposed to be able to jump from the conveyor belt all the way to the right?

Oh no, not at all!
Shocked
But you are, as always, on the alert for these unkind invitations. Do you think that changing the conveyor belt direction is good enough to stop suicidal ideas?

17100 Jack can turn some moving platforms but if he leaves the room and returns they have stopped. A neat but rather difficult route from the uppermost golden bricks to the gold brick just above the short ladder via the moving platform.

I knew that the gold path is tougher than the silver one. This room started with an interesting idea (two paths in gold/silver that cross each other) and resulted in a very complicated design. When I find time I have a closer look to both issues in this room.

17301 What happens if Jack jumps from the short ladder without a blue (or rainbow) key?

A half JS, isn't it?
Embarrassed
To be fixed.

16503 Possible JS if Jack goes down to the lowest left with the grey door closed. Overall difficulty of this room perhaps too much?  The secret exit is nice.

Again I missed a jump/fall down. Absolutely to be fixed.
Thanks for the compliments. In Brave New World one of my missions still is to expose other ways of hinting secrets.

Finished with 100% secrets but only €  Wink 15900

Believe it or not, but I think I know where you missed the missing $ 100. Because I missed $ 100 as well on my first walk through version 11. See image.
Cool

Thanks for all your input,
brell
. I am very grateful for that.

« Last Edit: 22.02.2023 at 15:08:23 by Freddy »  

missing_money_bag.png (188 KB | 16 )
missing_money_bag.png

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #73 - 26.02.2023 at 16:16:46

Betaversion 012 is ready and enclosed.

Take a warm bath Smiley and stretch your shoulders, neck and fingers!

Mistakes got fixed.
Backgrounds, money, shields, maps (with information), saves, rooms and secrets were moved, removed or added.
Even the temporary express road to the exit got a little bit of polish.
Smiley

Officially there are now 76 rooms. That means including the express road.
And $ 19.000 to be found.

All beta testers Wink are supposed to read all the signs because the text could have changed. Tongue

Now just a brief word about room 16503 to show how designing sometimes gets 'progress'. In the lower left corner a Jack stuck was reported. Before the horizontal zapper beam was there, Jack was able to fall/jump to the bottom floor with the grey door (still) closed.

While I fixed that with the beam I noticed that there was a problem in the upper left corner. When Jack arrived at the gold coin with the grey door at the right still closed, progress was difficult. Jack had to do a difficult jump down to the lever while both the ghost platform and the eye ball are away. I did change that by making the gap and the ghost platform wider. This solution is also interesting because, by accident, progress is pretty uncommon. Jumping to the right is impossible, so the use of the platform is needed. But that is only possible on a moment that the platform appears and the eye ball is still somewhere below. Once Jack is at the right he has an easily drop down to do.

Room finished? Not at all. The image shows a before not detected half Jack stuck. Jack, probably due to the weight of the five shields in his backpack, stumbled into the gap and within seconds lost three of his shields to an eye ball and two skull spiders. And no way out because of the zapper beams.
Shocked Huh
I did fix it in the same way as the gap in the lower left corner.

I do hope you still enjoy testing this mansion and I am looking forward to any kind of remarks or questions.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #74 - 26.02.2023 at 17:29:53

One question:  Do the beta testers need to replay all the TZ1 from the first save?

Or can they use a save AFTER they've got the purple key?

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #75 - 26.02.2023 at 21:54:35

For my own testing comfort I made two saves in transport zone 1. The first one I made, and I assume you did the same, at the left immediately after coming down from the purple area and before picking up anything. That gives exactly $ 3.000.

Because, and only because of the testings, I made a second save at the right pedestal after picking up the three maps, some shields and all money (new total is exactly $ 4.000). Try to do that as well. It is one single limited effort from save 1 to 2. Do not forget the moneybag above and the gold coin below that second save point. But do not enter any room outside the transit zone 1, not even briefly, e.g. to be able to check the hopefully proper working of the maps.

From there you have a perfect base to start the discovery of the blue area wherever you want to. So, please, do it this way and replace your previous second save. You will 'see' much more 'things' when you frequently change your starting gate and will also have more playing fun. But, as already mentioned for TZ1, you will also be in better circumstances to check all maps in the blue area. Do they give too much or too less information. While the maps in TZ1 showed gold/silver info, they now show coulored doors. Or the positions of the extra saving points, shields ...

My choice to use the right pedestal for my second save wasn't at random. My last efforts in TZ1 were skipping that save point and leaving money bag and coin where there were (to avoid the save question interruptions), cleaning up the far left lower part of TZ1 and only in the return to the right I completed the last $ 150 and saved. Before that, I already knew that I wanted to be at the right because thanks to you 'all beta testers' I left TZ1 at the gate to room 16703 where I changed gold into silver and could continue with opening the red door in room 16704 which room was very nearby. And third reason was that I knew that after visiting the half of the blue area, the middle saving pedestal was going to be on my way.

But don't let my choice interfere with where you like to continue.

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #76 - 27.02.2023 at 16:28:47

Just something that came up in my mind.

In the blue area I used several press buttons to change gold/silver. These buttons are important and the use of it obliged. Therefor I placed them all in a way that it is inevitable to use them before or together with a new key for further progress.

There are also press buttons with other functions e.g. with a connection to a secret. That is why they sometimes need to be covered.

My idea is now to change the gold/silver buttons with green ones, the same colour of the knots of the levers with the same function. Since there is no reason at all to hide them.
Undecided

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #77 - 27.02.2023 at 18:31:24

Are you talking about changing from buttons to levers?  But what if Jack forgets to pull the lever?  Not sure it is a good idea.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #78 - 27.02.2023 at 21:39:47

16503 What happens if jack uses his multicolor key in this room?

Now I am in room 16703 with one red key.  See picture 8.  I know there is a red door in the room to the right and another one in the room above.  Now Jack can access both rooms from this position.  Which shoud it be?  As I presume it is not intended (and will be fixed) that Jack can go to the room above from this position I will open the red door in the room to the right.
Decisions, decisions.  The player cannot know which door to open first. and whether opening this or that door first will lead to complications later.

16905 is very difficult if you don’t have any shields left.
17300 Difficult avoiding the fish skeletons without any shields
17101 Should the jump back be more obvious or at least be worth a secret?  Picture 9
16503 Avoiding the leftmost eyeball is almost impossible.  Jack-stuck in the lowest left corner still possible.
Reaching the floorbutton and the silver coin to the right is very hard without any shields.
17605 The leftmost spider never takes the eyeball. What is the purpose of the moving platform?
16698 Jack-stuck if Jack arrives to this room in the right lower corner without a green key.
17501 Impossible with a blue key and without a shield.

Finished with €16800 and 86% secrets

Picture_8_001.png (146 KB | 15 )
Picture_8_001.png
Picture_9.png (263 KB | 16 )
Picture_9.png

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #79 - 27.02.2023 at 23:36:43

Thanks for the remarks,
brell
. I will definitely have a look to all issues.

Right now, without MM nearby only this.

The mansion is still in a beta phase. So your mindset is finding 'mistakes'. And that is why you assume that the moving platform in room 17605 might be meaningless or a not removed leftover.

The situation with the not taken eyeball wan't meant to be but I didn't correct that because it had two interesting consequences. Using the platform needs a little bit of thinking and getting the most left coin also.

A revisit?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 37
Send Topic Print