Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 38
Send Topic Print
MM2 - Brave New World (Read 23358 times)
Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Re: MM2 - Brave New World
Reply #190 - 26.06.2023 at 00:12:31

Zip 022 is included.

About a week ago I was busy with the last room of the brown area and the start of the next very very grey area. That resulted in troubles with the bookkeeping. Playing results didn't fit with what was mentioned in the builder's mansion info. It took me several efforts to 'find' all coins and bags and realize that when playing in the builder,  in each part of the mansion the first backpack doesn't add € 500 to the account. Oh dear!
Roll Eyes

It would be nice if someone Wink will do a thorough test of the brown area which is from save 8 ($ 16.000) to 9 ($ 21.000). The grey area isn't accessible right now. For those who want to go on to the finish ($ 33.375) I made a deviation.

The recent changes.

At the spot where the lantern-T is, now is also a T for opening a grey door in the upper left corner. Behind that door is a lever to open a crucial grey door in the middle of the room that guarantees progress. All these make it impossible to open that door without having the lantern. What results in play on normal level, I hope.

On the floor directly below the lava the silver coin got moved upwards, so that when taking it, the revealing of the moneybag is more striking.

Added a shield and coins.

I did remove the silver coin again because it looked bad (visual pollution).
Q: Secret still hinted enough?

In the upper left corner a coin reveals (late) to expose that the floating platform and vine have sense. Meanwhile hopefully avoiding that Jack does stupid things in the dark.

I changed the starting place of the moving platform to improve the flow.
Q: Normal level in this room?

It felt better to bring the yellow door from the upper right corner in 18299 to the other two doors in the upper left corner of this room. I also made the space left of the green door larger, so that Jack has the possibility to follow a troll upwards the ladder without too much risks. That is better for the flow.
Take not that the trolls do not move randomly.

I was briefly out of puzzle-inspiration (just like in 17905).
Q: Is a room like this okay in this mansion?
The upper left corner is part of the temporary deviation.

What disturbs me in this room is the place of the save pedestal.
Q: I am very interested in your opinion about everything in this room.
« Last Edit: 26.06.2023 at 15:48:48 by Freddy »  

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #191 - 26.06.2023 at 17:38:14

Freddy wrote on 26.06.2023 at 00:12:31:
I did remove the silver coin again because it looked bad (visual pollution).
Q: Secret still hinted enough?

Yes

In the upper left corner a coin reveals (late) to expose that the floating platform and vine have sense. Meanwhile hopefully avoiding that Jack does stupid things in the dark.

Yes, much better.

The room is much better now but I still think the moving platform is a bit too fast for normal.

It felt better to bring the yellow door from the upper right corner in 18299 to the other two doors in the upper left corner of this room. I also made the space left of the green door larger, so that Jack has the possibility to follow a troll upwards the ladder without too much risks. That is better for the flow.
Take not that the trolls do not move randomly.

Brilliant!

I was briefly out of puzzle-inspiration (just like in 17905).
Q: Is a room like this okay in this mansion?
The upper left corner is part of the temporary deviation.

Nothing wrong with this room IMO

I like this room and see no possible problems.  What is the non-moving platform at bottom righ for?

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #192 - 26.06.2023 at 19:05:57

Thanks for all your remarks,
brell

brell wrote on 26.06.2023 at 17:38:14:

The room is much better now but I still think the moving platform is a bit too fast for normal.

Easy to fix. Will do that.

I like this room and see no possible problems.  What is the non-moving platform at bottom righ for?

To be able to catch the green key. Could you get it without the use of that platform?

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #193 - 26.06.2023 at 19:53:18

Freddy wrote on 26.06.2023 at 19:05:57:

To be able to catch the green key. Could you get it without the use of that platform?

Bottom ladderjump  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #194 - 29.06.2023 at 00:03:01

And here is zip 023. The amount of money between saves 8 and 9 is now $ 5.500.

It rarely happens, but I did the contrary of what you suggested. What not need to be the final decision!
Well, when I started the design of this room the platform had the standard speed of 4. Due to the concept of the room Jack has to jump several times from both balconies to the platform. To assure a good flow, I raised the speed to 5. But you were right that something had to be done to get closer to level 'normal'.
So first of all I did raise the speed to 6 and then polished all jumps till they felt 'normal'.
Q: Do the changes feel as an improvement?

I made several changes. Among them the fixing of the green key issue.
Q: What is your impression? Better or worse? Probably better because I added an extra $ 500.
Cool Wink

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #195 - 29.06.2023 at 17:23:02

17901:  Jack went down from 17701 to 17901 furthest to the left for the first time and triggered something (T?) that closes one grey door.  Now he can do nothing in this room.
It is all dark and he cannot find any lever.

Freddy wrote:

"17901
At the spot where the lantern-T is, now is also a T for opening a grey door in the upper left corner. Behind that door is a lever to open a crucial grey door in the middle of the room that guarantees progress. All these make it impossible to open that door without having the lantern. What results in play on normal level, I hope."

Yes but is Jack starts by going down to this room for the first time at the furthest left he will reveal (or close?) one grey door, which makes it impossible for him to find the lantern.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #196 - 29.06.2023 at 17:55:25

Freddy wrote on 29.06.2023 at 00:03:01:
And here is zip 023. The amount of money between saves 8 and 9 is now $ 5.500.

It rarely happens, but I did the contrary of what you suggested. What not need to be the final decision!
Well, when I started the design of this room the platform had the standard speed of 4. Due to the concept of the room Jack has to jump several times from both balconies to the platform. To assure a good flow, I raised the speed to 5. But you were right that something had to be done to get closer to level 'normal'.
So first of all I did raise the speed to 6 and then polished all jumps till they felt 'normal'.
Q: Do the changes feel as an improvement?

I made several changes. Among them the fixing of the green key issue.
Q: What is your impression? Better or worse? Probably better because I added an extra $ 500.
Cool Wink

Answer to both questions:  Better

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #197 - 01.07.2023 at 15:06:30

brell wrote on 29.06.2023 at 17:23:02:
Freddy wrote:
"17901
At the spot where the lantern-T is, now is also a T for opening a grey door in the upper left corner. Behind that door is a lever to open a crucial grey door in the middle of the room that guarantees progress. All these make it impossible to open that door without having the lantern. What results in play on normal level, I hope."

Yes but is Jack starts by going down to this room for the first time at the furthest left he will reveal (or close?) one grey door, which makes it impossible for him to find the lantern.

Thanks for reporting this important issue. I got it fixed, but it was very complex.

When now Jack starts with going down the left or the middle ladder there is nothing to do that results in progress. So he is forced to follow the most obvious way at the right. At that right side going down to the bottom floor also has no sense. Step 1 in this still dark room is climbing the shortest ladder to a silver coin resulting in the revealing of the lantern and the sound of the opening of a grey door (both in the upper left corner).

Step 2 was doing the detour while picking up the keys and after re-entering the room getting the lantern. Have a look at image 1. It is an important moment because Jack sees that immediately using one of the two other ladders down lead to nothing. So going to the right in the upper left corner is the only option. Four (!) things may happen; in following order: revealing a grey door, opening the grey door at the bottom right got, taking the silver coin and pulling the lever to open the most left grey door on the middle floor. See image 2.

A new road for possible progress is now in view. Please take note of some changes:
- one of the hanging spiders is removed what improves the flow of the game;
- on the bottom floor there is more space left of the giant spider;
- the previous gold coin in the upper niche got split in two silver ones of which one is left of the new added grey door (
edit:
after making the images I did something similar in the area above the moving platform).

In step 3 Jack was able to reveal and pull the lever on the bottom floor to toggle all grey doors. See pic 3. Where Jack is now, taking the silver coin is not only obvious, but also the only thing that Jack may do. And it finally solves the issue, I hope.

A new zip with this fixing is coming soon ... with an important note about the impact from changes on saves!

Afbeelding_1_011.png (208 KB | 20 )
Afbeelding_1_011.png
Afbeelding_2_010.png (206 KB | 15 )
Afbeelding_2_010.png
Afbeelding_3_006.png (207 KB | 16 )
Afbeelding_3_006.png

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #198 - 01.07.2023 at 18:24:49

Embarrassed
I should have mentioned it earlier, because I noticed this issue when making changes in the transit zone. It is important for the designer to test from save point to save point, because it isn't harmless to make late-late slight changes like removing a gold coin and adding two silver coins in the same room, with the idea that it doesn't matter for already existing further saves.

To illustrate what I mean I added two pictures from room 17901. They are both shots from the map.

Image A shows the room after having started at save 8, entered room 17901 and stopped playing/testing in the next room. Jack went to the right through the green door, leaving the enemies alive and saving the shield for later.

Image B shows the same room after having started at the already existing save 9. After immediately unfolding the map the two removed gold coins stay invisible, because already taken. The new grey door and the silver coins are now shown! Besides the fact that it would confuse the player seriously, it also means that it is possible to go back to that room, take the extra money and resave at no. 9 with more money than there is available in the mansion!
Shocked

Betatesters are not supposed to worry about that, although I believe that it is important for them to be aware of this issue. Because it could be of interest to check earlier parts of the mansion when you are missing some money.

Some of my saves are:
1.   3.000 in 16700
2.   4.000 in 16902
6. 12.000 in 16901
8. 16.000 in 17501
9. 21.500 in 18099

Zip 024 is included.

Containing the following changes:
- 17901 the niche above the platform (coins, lever, T's);
- 18100 the upper left corner (to force Jack to open the revealing door);
- 18099 L6-things below the grey door and above right of the left ladder.

Q: Is the hint in the middle enough to find the needed key?

Image_A.png (235 KB | 19 )
Image_A.png
Image_B.png (235 KB | 16 )
Image_B.png

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #199 - 01.07.2023 at 21:22:59

Freddy wrote on 01.07.2023 at 18:24:49:
Containing the following changes:
- 17901 the niche above the platform (coins, lever, T's);
- 18100 the upper left corner (to force Jack to open the revealing door);
- 18099 L6-things below the grey door and above right of the left ladder.

Q: Is the hint in the middle enough to find the needed key?

It is very vague but ok

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 ... 38
Send Topic Print