Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Welcome
to the Actionsoft Forums!

New to the forums? Go ahead and register! Why register? Click here to find out the difference of being a guest and a member. After you're done, go here to learn how to start posting. Make sure you've read and agree with the rules of posting here!

The forums is run by three administrators. Read here who they are and what you may (and may not) expect from them.

Actionsoft's latest game, Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills,  includes 28 mansions. The 8 Built-in mansions have 3 difficulties along with 4 extra custom mansions. We don't have that many other custom MM2 mansions yet. Design your own custom mansion! Info below.  You can find out more about the game here.

The original Midnight Mansion game contains over 150 mansions. The 8 included mansions which have 3 difficulty levels each, and about 115 approved custom mansions which you can download here and also several freely uploaded mansions. To know the difference between these three types of mansions, click here.

Are you a creative person and thinking of designing a mansion yourself? Or want to know about how to upload it? Click here and we'll show you! You'll find guidelines for betatesters here.

News:
Midnight Mansion 2: The Haunted Hills version 1.0.2b has been released. This fixes a bug in Jasperlone Mountains Hard. Simply re-download the game, bring over your custom mansions folder from the old version and play on. All your saves and high scores will not be changed.

Midnight Mansion HD (MM1) is now available at the Mac App Store and at the Actionsoft website. A Windows version is now available.

Here is a list of downloadable MM1 HD ready custom mansions, which also work in the Windows version of the game.

The MM2 custom mansion Hanging Gardens of Babylon by Freddy/SandyBean/Josephine/brell was updated on 19. Nov 2023 to add a fourth section. Available here

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 35
Send Topic Print
MM2 - Brave New World (Read 19920 times)
brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Re: MM2 - Brave New World
Reply #120 - 13.03.2023 at 19:12:55

Freddy wrote on 13.03.2023 at 04:56:43:
You did send me finally THE post about THE issue of the blue area. I was prepared for that. Have a look at the map.

When Jack arrives in transit zone 1 the blocks are always gold. The map shows the situation where my Jack never left TZ1 and picked up the three available maps. It was the intention to give information about which gates to the blue surrounding area are accessible and which not. No more. Nothing is given about doors or keys.

A closer look teaches the player that the gold blocks may be the obstacle or sometimes are helping. The left (1) and right (2) wing give clear info. On the bottom only partly. The left room (1) gives an entrance. The middle and right room maybe. So there are at least four usable gates.

As designer I did make the construction so that:
- there are exactly five places where you can start (with the blocks on gold);
- there also five sections that are only accessible with the blocks on silver;
- in some sections G/S do change and in others not;
- wherever you start you are always able to visit all ten sections (once), pick up all prices and arrive in transit zone 2 with one single key that you have to use as entrance fee to the next (green?) area.

When you open a coloured entrance door in any blue section it is impossible to continue to the exit without picking up the key that is at Jack's disposal. Depending from the section the G/S-blocks changed or didn't. In both cases, with the found key Jack will always have one and only one place in the blue section to go one. So the whole blue section is a large rotation starting with a random chosen section. But it is not a guessing game where you may have bad luck and missing a lot of fun. The colour of the key at the end of the last section will always be the colour of the first opened door.

I tell you a secret.  Lips Sealed  My Jack likes to start at the right over the conveyor belt with the two scorpions. That has a reason, because he knows where to be next and then have a good placed save point on his way back. And afterwards a very good spread of the other saving pedestals. That is what they call 'designers luck'.
Wink

Many thanks for this clarification.  Maybe I'll try using the rainbow key elsewhere.  But you didn't comment on:

"17101: It is possible to go down from here to 17501 and use the rainbow key down there.  What happens then?"

Hopefully Jack has used the first saving point if he makes this mistake.

A stuck Jack is better than no jack

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #121 - 13.03.2023 at 21:35:14

brell wrote on 13.03.2023 at 19:12:55:
... 17101: It is possible to go down from here to 17501 and use the rainbow key down there. What happens then? Hopefully Jack has used the first saving point if he makes this mistake.

Thanks for reminding me. I hope I am right that the axis 17101-17501 is the room with the save point, then the room with the five coloured doors and finally the room with the tgv-platform. While designing the previous areas I only kept three things in mind:
- that there is no Jack-stuck if he opens a door in room 17301;
- that the axis needs to be one way down;
- that if Jack opens one of those doors before having finished the whole blue area, there still is an other way back (although a long one).

That could be enough. But maybe better (normal) is doing a few things: not remove the saving pedestal in room 17101, get rid of the scorpion and add a sign with a warning about using any key before having finished the whole blue area. Should that be enough?

But there is something more. The axis must be a full one way, because I can't allow that Jack picks up a key in the third area and then climbs back to the blue area. The mansion is already complicated enough.

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #122 - 23.03.2023 at 16:18:18

Version 015 for free betatesting is included.

Right now it is difficult to give detailed information about the changes, because I may only do that after playing version 014 again to recall all the differences. So now I just add general info.

In the purple and in the blue area the average amount of money is $ 300 / room. In both transit zones it is $ 166 / room. In total there is $ 21.500 to be found.

Total number of secrets is now 17.

The text of nearly all signs did change (a little bit).

In TZ1 I noticed that at several places some of the bricks had the wrong mud-colour. I fixed that and used that wrong colour for all the bricks in TZ2.

TZ2 is expanded although still under maintenance. Wind got added, music removed.

And now the blue area.
G/S-switches. Because the levers have green knots, now all the pressure plates are green as well.
In the section that starts with the conveyor belt and two scorpions the secret got more hinted.
In the section with the upper red door several things got changed to fix some annoying situations.
In the section with the interesting jump followed by a green were most changes. Backdoor got closed, blue key moved to the next room that is now one way ...
In the section that leads to the bottom ladder jump to open a blue door, I changed some things in the left side of the first room.

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #123 - 23.03.2023 at 17:45:45

See the bottom line on the image. How confusing.

I did add the zip file for version 015 and you may get the impression that I added the previous version. Due to the system of the software.

My given name of the added zip was:
MM2 - BNW betatesting
. By coincidence it is the 14th time that a file was added to the boards with that same name. And that is why the boards automatically did add the suffix 014.

It is what it is. But I just wanted to assure that the attachment really is 015.

Knipsel.PNG (67 KB | 20 )
Knipsel.PNG

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #124 - 23.03.2023 at 19:23:45

Freddy wrote on 23.03.2023 at 16:18:18:
In the purple and in the blue area the average amount of money is $ 300 / room. In both transit zones it is $ 166 / room. In total there is $ 21.500 to be found.

Am I to understand that you did some changes in the purple area?

Freddy wrote on 23.03.2023 at 16:18:18:
In the section with the interesting jump followed by a green were most changes.

...followed by a green WHAT?

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #125 - 23.03.2023 at 20:09:26

brell wrote on 23.03.2023 at 19:23:45:
Am I to understand that you did some changes in the purple area?

No. That means: only the text from the sign at the exit. Nothing to check or worry about.

brell wrote on 23.03.2023 at 19:23:45:
...followed by a green WHAT?

Oops. Green door. (Previously it was possible to enter the section with a yellow key through a yellow back door, get really everything and return the same way. Green door skipped and an extra green key saved.

IP Logged

brell
YaBB Administrator

Moita, Portugal
Reply #126 - 23.03.2023 at 23:45:49

Went down from 16700 to 17100.  Gold blocks on.  Went further down, opened the green door in 17300, got the blue key and changed gold to silver.

Went to 16703 with blue key, got green key, have two keys now

17101:  Jack must somehow be prevented from going down from this room to 17301 and to 17501 without having explored TZ1/blue area first.  Otherwise:

17501 with green and blue key.  Can go down the pole here if I go first to 17503 and toggle silver-gold.  Which means Jack can go back to the starting room without exploring TZ1/blue area first.

PS 17703 nothing can be done at the top left?

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #127 - 24.03.2023 at 18:18:13

I will know what to do next Saturday morning.  Smiley

brell wrote on 23.03.2023 at 23:45:49:
Went down from 16700 to 17100.  Gold blocks on.  Went further down, opened the green door in 17300, got the blue key and changed gold to silver.  Went to 16703 with blue key, got green key, have two keys now

There are more (coloured door) puzzles to come. The major problem is that as soon as Jack has two keys, I can't know what the colour will be from the saved key when sliding down the green pole. If I would be sure about that colour I could arrange an extra treasure room and go on with the other four colours. So I really have to avoid that Jack at any time gets a second key.

In 16703 I changed a bad idea into other bad ideas. Once I brought the green key down to this room, at first there was no gold block below the falling green key, because ... it couldn't fall. At that time I thought it worked. Jack had to open the red door to be able to open the grey door in the lower left corner of the room above, then to go down and change gold to silver and finally take the other ladder down, step on the silver block and jump to the key. Fixed! ... Till I realized that it is absolutely possible that Jack misses the key when jumping to the left. And the blocks need to be changed to gold again to do a new attempt, while not having any key!

That was the point where I added the gold block and made the green key falling. Now a new test showed that, when Jack earlier in the game should go to the other red door, that the blocks are silver and he may pick the green key from below while jumping on the neon platform. I lowered that platform. Fixed! But forgot that Jack may come into the room from the left as well.

The easiest way to fix this is bringing the green key back to the room above etc. But I did like to expose the green key so early, as a variation to the other blue sections. I see what I can do.
Undecided

17101:  Jack must somehow be prevented from going down from this room to 17301 and to 17501 without having explored TZ1/blue area first.  Otherwise:

17501 with green and blue key.  Can go down the pole here if I go first to 17503 and toggle silver-gold.  Which means Jack can go back to the starting room without exploring TZ1/blue area first.

In this mansion I like to keep the start of exploring the blue area random. And then it is impossible to force Jack to visit TZ1 and the full BA before arriving in TZ2.

I do hope that I did enough by adding the warning sign (and save) and I just need to be very sure that Jack never has two keys.

17703 nothing can be done at the top left?

Yes and no. It depends from when.  Lips Sealed

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #128 - 26.03.2023 at 17:30:29

I am still busy with checking, solving problems and completing TZ2.

Concerning 16703
Freddy wrote on 24.03.2023 at 18:18:13:
The easiest way to fix this is bringing the green key back to the room above etc. But I did like to expose the green key so early, as a variation to the other blue sections. I see what I can do.

I did find a way to keep the green key in the lower room. See pic 16703a. But this area is really cursed. For the first time I encountered an important shield problem.

Time line:
1. After arriving in TZ1 Jack chose the blue section with the upper red door to do first of all (pic 16703 a).
2. Jack entered with five shields.
3. In 16503 he opened the red door.
4. He filled his backpack with shields (pic 16503).
5. Jack went down and changed gold into silver but couldn't pick up the green key (pic 16703 b).

It is easy to get rid of a shield in the room above, but I need to accept that it is possible that Jack may continue back to TZ1 with his six shields. Well, that is nearly a Jack-stuck because all other blue sections are 'closed' as well as TZ2 (and the way to the exit). The only thing that rest is going up again to the purple section to change the blocks back to gold. A quarter of an hour backtracking ...
Shocked Shocked Shocked

I fixed it by removing the two shields in this blue section. But, after this experience, I absolutely need to do severe shield-checks in the other blue sections.

16703_a.png (129 KB | 20 )
16703_a.png
16503_001.png (119 KB | 16 )
16503_001.png
16703_b.png (129 KB | 14 )
16703_b.png

IP Logged

Freddy
YaBB Administrator

Brugge, Belgium
Reply #129 - 27.03.2023 at 00:03:05

Enclosed is version 016 of BNW for betatesting. There are 18 secrets now and the target is $ 23.500.

With what I know right now all problems in or because of the blue area should be fixed. One of them was this. So far I always thought that there was a (very long) way to revisit the blue section after a too early opening of a door in room 17501. That is still true, but as senseless as the short backtracking (before gliding down the green pole).

There is no need to restart the mansion from the very start. However, room 16098 got changes. See pic. Just keep that in mind.

brell
, I like to know:
- if you still have remarks about the blue area;
- if you figured out the problem with the empty point of view in TZ2;
- with what amount of money you could finish.

Thanks ahead. As always.

16098.png (79 KB | 18 )
16098.png

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 35
Send Topic Print